Author Topic: Is this an Arsenal stock repair?  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Rbenzo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Is this an Arsenal stock repair?
« on: October 04, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »
What’s the opinion on this stock repair? Is this chu wood? Any reason why the stock is so dark?

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Is this an Arsenal stock repair?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 03:51:25 PM »
Looks to be a factory fix. Stocks can be many varied colors. I think your bayo is upside down. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 06:59:59 PM »
Looks like a candidate Israeli Capture Type 56. Laminate handguard, dark stock, correct serial number range,  (can’t see all of it but it looks like the) correct CAI import mark style. That heel repair looks like an Arsenal job.

IC Sticky:
https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=1886.0

Offline Rbenzo

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 08:19:04 PM »
Looks like a candidate Israeli Capture Type 56. Laminate handguard, dark stock, correct serial number range,  (can’t see all of it but it looks like the) correct CAI import mark style. That heel repair looks like an Arsenal job.

IC Sticky:
https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=1886.0

I was wondering the same thing. Is there anything to verify it with or other features to look for? Always thought the laminate handguard was odd and had stumbled across the Israeli capture thread but wasn’t sure .

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 08:31:40 PM »
All the features are captured in the thread. Arabic rack numbers on the stock would be nice. Is it sandy under the: buttplate, stock, magazine, etc.?

Offline Rbenzo

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 08:40:51 PM »
All the features are captured in the thread. Arabic rack numbers on the stock would be nice. Is it sandy under the: buttplate, stock, magazine, etc.?

I haven’t disassembled it to look for sand. It does have a gritty, dark finish/refinish that is old.

I’ll get some more pics as soon as s possible and post up.

Do these bring a premium over other Chinese SKS models by chance?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 04:04:41 PM »

I haven’t disassembled it to look for sand. It does have a gritty, dark finish/refinish that is old.

More detailed pics would be great.

For one that can only be a "possible IC" I personally wouldn't pay much extra, if any. For one with any combination or all of the following features, an Arabic rack number, laminate stock, blued bolt carrier, I'd certainly pay more than an average matching Type 56. Not a lot of people are aware of them or would pay them much attention.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 04:22:25 PM »

They can if the buyer knows what he's got, but like Phos said, most don't. That's how I came about mine. It was a $75 single shot (gas piston froze), and at the time, there were no real discussions going on about them, or SKSs in general. Around 2000?? I think. It was my firstist SKS, and has been a continuous learning curve since. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Rbenzo

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »

More detailed pics would be great.

For one that can only be a "possible IC" I personally wouldn't pay much extra, if any. For one with any combination or all of the following features, an Arabic rack number, laminate stock, blued bolt carrier, I'd certainly pay more than an average matching Type 56. Not a lot of people are aware of them or would pay them much attention.

Couldn’t find the time for more pics today. I’ll do my best to get some tomorrow.

I didn’t know about them when I traded into this one. The guy had two. One was a newer commercial looking model with a shiny new stock. I liked the look of this one. The dark part, gritty finish interested me and after googling the serial number I wound up on the thread about IC models, but was never sure if it was one. I see quite a few SKS being offered for sale locally for $350-$400, but I don’t think anyone would pay much more for this one as it lacks the blued bolt or Arabic writing.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 01:31:42 AM »
Are you sure that handguard is laminated and it doesn't just have a prominent linear grain?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 10:18:33 AM »
Are you sure that handguard is laminated and it doesn't just have a prominent linear grain?

Yeah,  I was thinking this when I first saw it myself...

Here's a Yugo M59, you don't see it as much on Chinese guns as thy don't use Elm, but it's the same principle. 

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 12:56:38 PM »

Need higher resolution pics of the full handguard from sides and top but this is the photo that got me thinking laminate.

Offline Rbenzo

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 11:10:29 PM »

Need higher resolution pics of the full handguard from sides and top but this is the photo that got me thinking laminate.

Can’t seem to find the time to pull it out and get photos. I thought it was a laminate handguard but could be mistaken. I can’t even tell if the stock is laminate or not.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 01:13:15 AM »
The stock isn’t laminate, just trying to figure out the handguard.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 01:28:37 PM »
There are some handguards that look laminated... This is the one on my Public Security

Looks laminated, but its one solid piece.  Luck of the draw on the grain direction.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 09:47:06 AM »
IC stocks can be laminated, but I don't think I have ever seen one with a laminated handguard....  the configuration is normally laminated stock with hardwood handguard. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Rbenzo

• Newber
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 10:31:08 PM »

Pics as promised. Finally.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 04:05:38 AM »

Pics as promised. Finally.

Now I can see clearly that it’s not a laminate handguard, just fairly straight edge-grain, as others were already asserting. I can see a bit of wave in the grain at the back of the handguard.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 09:10:09 AM »
Laminated HGs the 'grain' is seen from the top, not the sides.