Author Topic: FR F2  (Read 1081 times)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
FR F2
« on: June 29, 2022, 03:05:00 PM »
I originally purchased this 1980s French F.R. F2 (Fusil à Répétition Modèle F2) sniper rifle from Old Western Scrounger (Navy Arms) in September of 2021. The F.R. F1 was very similar but chambered in the French service round, 7.5x54mm, whereas the F2 is in 7.62 NATO. The receivers for the F1s and F2s were basically a MAS 36 inspired design, but the receiver is bigger, thicker, stiffer, etc.

Those of us who purchased one from the first batch at OWS last year, had to wait 7-8 months for Navy Arms to contract with a US manufacturer to make a scope mount. The original advertisement said that a mount came with the complete rifle package, so that was a moderately frustrating wait. Anyhow, in the mean time, I went to GunBroker and acquired a used Leupold Mark 4 M1 10X scope made in 1990 (X date code). Supposedly a take off from a US military rifle. These Leupold Mark 4 M1 scopes are built like a tank. The French Police reportedly (Ian McCollum's "Chassepot to FAMAS" French firearms book) used Leupold 10x scopes, so this one is not original but it is correct (except the mount). The French Army initially used the old APX L806 3.75x scopes and later updated to a Scrome J8 (8x) scope. Scrome is making some original configuration J8s with military reticles that are expected to be available later this summer. I'm not sure I'll try to order one of those, since 1. I expect they'll cost around 4000 Euros and 2. the Leupold is fantastic! If the Scromes came with original configuration FR F2 scope mounts, I'd reconsider.

Back to the chronology of the story, in late April I received the Navy Arms contracted scope mount and though it wasn't a copy of the original (ugh), it did fit the rifle perfectly, so fairly well done. I mounted the scope, went to the range...and bad news/good news. The rifle key-holed at 25 yds  :o Here's the good news, I contacted Navy Arms and they, without hemming or hawing, said pick one of the current listings (now at about 1.5x the September prices) and we'll hold that for you, send you a UPS shipping label for return, and get the new one back to your FFL. They turned it around quickly and I picked out a rifle that was in even better condition cosmetically and functionally, and most importantly had a barrel with excellent rifling.

Obviously, I was anxious to take it out. A few days after I picked it up I took it to the range, zeroed it quickly since it was already sighted in on the previous rifle, and shot a couple of groups at 100 yds with Austrian Hirtenberger surplus M80 (147gr) and some vintage Lake City M118 Match (175gr) ammo. 1.75" group with the M80, 1.25" group with the heavier Match bullet. Just 3 shot groups, and I haven't shot multiple groups. I'm sure it could do better with hand loads and/or a better shooter than I am. Regardless, that was enough info to ensure me that the rifle was in excellent shooting condition and likely has sub-MOA potential! Yay! I had no problem locating and ringing the gongs out to 450 yds either.

Anyhow if you read all or any of the above  rofl thank-you. On to the pictures  :)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 05:06:20 AM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Re: FR F2
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 03:55:06 PM »
Nice one, Jon!!  And it looks like it has a Washington Stated legal capacity mag!!  When you go to war, your choices are gonna have to be made by eeny, meeny, miney, moe  wink1 (and whatever can fit on the "new" bike). chuckles1
The "Vintage" M118, if it was before '88 or '89 (I can't remember when LC got new machinery) might be bested by newer lots.  Prior to those dates, the bullet making machinery was getting old and weights of bullets, casings and even powder could be off by a considerable amount.  Once the got the new machinery (I think they bought it from Manhurin), consistency improved greatly.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 05:22:35 PM »
Thanks Bruce!  :)

I have heard mixed reviews on the M118. I don't recall the manufacturing years on mine, as I have two or three different lots, but I'm fairly certain it's all pre-1990.

As to the mags, yes, I could still purchase more of these 10 round mags...if they were actually available  rofl even after June 30.

Aside: Fortunately, the bill that passed and was signed by the governor wasn't as restrictive as the original version. It doesn't restrict ownership or use of magazines over 10 rounds. It prohibits the manufacture, distribution, sale or import of such magazines within WA as of July 1 (except for LEOs and military personnel). Needless to say, I spent a ridiculous amount of money on standard capacity magazines for current and future possible firearms purchases in the last few months.

Offline BMont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 06:15:12 PM »
Very nice man...!  Glad to hear you had some nice results from you rifle.  They have TONS of history and what Ian said...."The French copy no one and no one copies the French"  They are just unique bad azz rifles used from Afghanistan to Africa and many countries between. 

Offline lowell66dart

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 07:06:52 PM »
Now that is just plain cool, aka bad ass. I really like the bipod mount, stock, muzzle device etc. etc. etc!
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 10:53:03 PM »
Very nice man...!  Glad to hear you had some nice results from you rifle.  They have TONS of history and what Ian said...."The French copy no one and no one copies the French"  They are just unique bad azz rifles used from Afghanistan to Africa and many countries between.

Thanks BMont! Definitely an interesting historical gun from a long lineage with some interesting late 20th to early 21st century history.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 10:57:31 PM »
Now that is just plain cool, aka bad ass. I really like the bipod mount, stock, muzzle device etc. etc. etc!

Thanks a bunch! The bipod is quite cool with that top mount swivel arrangement giving a lot of adjustment range without moving the bipod. The legs are easy to adjust and give quite a bit of variation in length. The muzzle device is synced to the rifling in the barrel, so definitely not meant to be removed by anyone other than an armorer. The stock has two different height combs, and two LOP adjustment blocks with a very long stock bolt to anchor them in place. Certainly well designed to accommodate snipers with various frames.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 03:21:29 AM by Phosphorus32 »

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 01:31:15 PM »
I see that besides OWS, J&G now has these. I assume Navy Arms was the sole importer, but who knows.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 04:35:16 PM »
Not too shabby. Looks like she can still walk, talk and chew gum.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 07:23:28 PM »
Not too shabby. Looks like she can still walk, talk and chew gum.

rofl Thanks. Yup, she'll get 'er done!