Author Topic: Military mag pouches (cloth/canvas etc...)  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Military mag pouches (cloth/canvas etc...)
« on: May 09, 2021, 04:15:24 PM »
Didn't know where to put this but I'm wondering if I can gently wash old military mag pouches, bags etc...? I have some that are canvas or like canvas material that are rather dirty. I'm wondering if I can throw on gentle cycle and wash without tearing off shoulder strap or damaging anything else?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Military mag pouches (cloth/canvas etc...)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 05:20:09 PM »
Didn't know where to put this but I'm wondering if I can gently wash old military mag pouches, bags etc...? I have some that are canvas or like canvas material that are rather dirty. I'm wondering if I can throw on gentle cycle and wash without tearing off shoulder strap or damaging anything else?

I've only done this for dirty canvas ones that had a musty, mothball or diesel odor. If they have straps, tabs etc. I just hand wash by soaking for a bit in laundry detergent, rinsing and sun-drying. If they have any leather bits, then after they dry, a rub down with mink oil (doesn't penetrate as much), or neats foot oil (penetrates well but darkens). Some people swear by Pecard leather treatment but I've never tried it.

Offline echo83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:50:33 PM »
Same as Phosphorus32...but I went the dish soap and brush route. Even the modern stuff (my USGI MOLLE pack) says to use mild soap and a brush. (I think laundering/dry cleaning messes with infrared detection, but I digress)

I got a canvas/cotton Chinese chest rig from Sarco that was old, but apparently unissued. I didn't like the looks of some of the white spots on it, and it smelled kind of musty. I threw it in a bucket of really hot water with a few squirts of dish soap,  then scrubbed the spots with a plastic brush. Only took a few minutes.

Sun-dried on a deck chair, and it was good to go. Some people stuff the pouches with paper to keep them from shrinking, but I didn't, because I thought it would slow the drying, and I had no problems.

What kind of pouches are you trying to clean up?

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 02:08:59 AM »
A tub of hot water, mild soap, a brush and some elbow grease.

I have a friend that deals in vintage AK mag pouches and such and that's his method.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 05:08:12 PM »
Thanks, Gents! Never even crossed my mind to just scrub. Sometimes the obvious is staring us...

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 05:49:23 PM »
Just got a couple of really cool Czech camo AK pouches from my buddy in Florida.
They got the hot water and dish soap treatment.
Now they look used, not dirty and used.....
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 08:36:02 PM »
Pics! I'm trying to remember the Czech camo pattern/look. Always like to see examples. Do you just air dry the pouches?

firstchoice

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 08:15:47 AM »
My dirty pouches are still dirty. I haven't had a chance to get to them been working so much. I might try to knock that off the list today.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 11:20:59 PM »
Pics! I'm trying to remember the Czech camo pattern/look. Always like to see examples. Do you just air dry the pouches?

firstchoice

Yessir. It doesn't take long in Arizona. However, I don't put them in direct sunlight. I have a screened in front porch where my drying takes place.
The pattern looks a lot like our (U.S.) woodland pattern to me.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 09:32:31 AM »

for what its worth , i wash my ball caps in the dishwasher, mainly because it keeps the shape of the bill , done so for decades with no damage , it is important to TURN OFF THE DRY CYCLE and let air dry like on a clothes line, or hang out on the porch , i do use the DW soap on my work hats , but if you try it i might try it first with no detergent so you do not bleach any stamps/markings , i would think the jets may be sufficient , but gentle cycle may be fine in a washing machine
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline BishopofBling

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 03:06:31 PM »
How do you guys prevent the wood tabs on the Chinese pouches from getting soaked in soapy water? Do you put painters tape on them or something?

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 02:34:01 AM »
How do you guys prevent the wood tabs on the Chinese pouches from getting soaked in soapy water? Do you put painters tape on them or something?

I don't even try to shield them from water. You could shellac or lacquer them first, I suppose, but I always just sorta figured that they've already seen plenty of water along with oils and such as being sufficient to form it's own barrier to water.
I wouldn't think it's something to be concerned about.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 04:08:08 AM »

I don't even try to shield them from water. You could shellac or lacquer them first, I suppose, but I always just sorta figured that they've already seen plenty of water along with oils and such as being sufficient to form it's own barrier to water.
I wouldn't think it's something to be concerned about.

Yeah, you'd think if they were designed for jungle/wet use, they'd probably hold up okay for washing. I don't see any real danger getting them wet.

firstchoice