Author Topic: 1916 SSzzA4? Bubba?  (Read 1383 times)

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
1916 SSzzA4? Bubba?
« on: December 27, 2020, 09:25:36 AM »
i had a sszzA4 ad i dont remember it being that sloppy , its rough , crude and tilted , and the spacing is inconsistent , Z's are different size , and the A legs are different lengths , wasnt even aware they would have used such a early rifle for the SS

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888156647
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: 1916 SSzzA4? Bubba?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 12:45:57 PM »
I’ve avoided SS rifles for two reasons, and the second is the abundance of fakes. This possible Zentralzeugamt 4 rework of a Gew98 is plausible. The SSZZA4 marking could be legitimate with that open 4 and some deterioration of the stamp. The possible lack of a firing proof is consistent (Karem and Steves, Vol.2b, pp. 750-762).

If you’re in the market, ask for full pictures of the left and right sides of the receiver and barrel. Since it’s an RC one can assume that none of the removable components are original to the rework. Then study those pictures and compare to Karem and Steves book, or better yet, post them for discussion on the K98k Forum.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 01:44:07 PM »
I’ve avoided SS rifles for two reasons, and the second is the abundance of fakes. This possible Zentralzeugamt 4 rework of a Gew98 is plausible. The SSZZA4 marking could be legitimate with that open 4 and some deterioration of the stamp. The possible lack of a firing proof is consistent (Karem and Steves, Vol.2b, pp. 750-762).

If you’re in the market, ask for full pictures of the left and right sides of the receiver and barrel. Since it’s an RC one can assume that none of the removable components are original to the rework. Then study those pictures and compare to Karem and Steves book, or better yet, post them for discussion on the K98k Forum.

i was researching what a different K98 was bringing these days im contemplating selling  when it popped up and it spiked my interest because i had one "at one time"

but you want to hear something real messed  up?,lol

i got to digging around in one of my safes and found that sszzA4 i was talking about , i thought i sold that years ago during the purge , its a BNZ43 sszzA4 , imagine how happy i was when i pulled it out , seeing that GB ad made me sick thinking i sold mine ,you know that feeling when you see a rifle you once had that you sold and regretted
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 01:51:37 PM »
rofl Too funny! I did buy a Japanese contract VZ-24 recently, forgetting that I already had one  :-[  chuckles1

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 03:14:23 PM »
now thats funny , guess we all have our senior moments , its just better when it works out in our favor , im rolling here , you just cant make this up

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 04:25:48 PM »
ok captured the photo off GB and zoomed it in , the first marking is the sszzA4 strike on my rifle , the second the GB , gotta say pretty close ,his is struck deeper, but it just looks skewed, the Z on mine is directly centered

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 06:22:07 PM »
They look different but very similar. Considering yours is possibly a repair and the one on GB is an earlier period conversion of a Gew98 or Gew98m it’s not surprising that the stamps aren’t identical. In any case, there are so many legitimate variations in these SS Depot guns and so many humped ones that it’s just an area where I’d need an expert opinion on any offering, so I just avoid them entirely.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 07:44:10 PM »
im with ya , im far from a expert and ive been farting with these guns for long while  , but i just cant get past a Gew98 in SS service , these guys got the best of everything , "their philosophy" (and to be clear i do not agree with) was they were the purist of the human or master race therefore they received  not only the best of everything  but they were taken care of before any others , so to find a longer heavier , bulkier Gew 98 in SS service just doesnt track for me

as you stated i do remember asking those that know what they thought about my rifle ,i got the thumbs up , mine is a russian capture and a odd one at that , wasnt pinged , obviously wasnt scrubbed , and didnt receive the dreaded crossed swords strike on the receiver

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »
While true that the SS were favored by Hitler as his original bodyguards and Nazi party faithful, the Wehrmacht didn’t feel the same way about them. Therefore, the SS had to set up their own supply chain and scrounge for their own small arms.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 08:03:48 PM »
learn something new everyday , i always thought they were the favorite pet children

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »
As an FYI, I've been told by a couple of pretty knowledgeable collectors that there are more fake SS rifles that real ones now.

A failing of human nature I guess. Always some butthead that wants to jack up his price by, um, let's say "enhancing" his original piece by adding a fake proof/marking/story etc.

Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7