Author Topic: Hi-point Carbines  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Hi-point Carbines
« on: August 03, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »
Yeah, yeah, save your breath. I've heard it all, LOL :P

Seriously, Had been looking to get something my wife would be comfortable shooting as she has finally told me she needs to learn to shoot, but is rather skittish with handguns. Therefore, when I came across not one but 2 Hi-point 9mm carbines, I decided to go ahead and pick them up. Got a good deal on them. One is the old style and the other is the newer TS version.
The reason for my post concerns the older one and what to do with it. Most, if not all will agree the original stock on these is Butt ugly. At least the TS version is somewhat practical if still a little on the bulky/ugly side. Anyway, looking to swap the stock out on the old one and looking for opinions and suggestions. I have 3 options beyond just leaving it as is. For informational purposes, I am left-handed/ambidextrous she is strictly right-handed.

Here is a pic of the 995 and 995TS. I have an extra rail and red dot sight for the 995 as well.

I also found another great use for the East German 3 pocket Grenade pouches, They will hold 9-12 10rnd mags for the Hi-point carbines.

Anyway, here are the options.
1st option is to get a replacement stock and update the old one to a TS stock. It will look the same as the other one. Added Cost is $51 shipped

2nd option is to go with the ATI stock which will make it look like a Beretta Storm Carbine. Smoother lines but still in carbine mode. If I get this one she will get this 995 and I will use the other one. Added cost is $85 shipped

3rd option is to get a Bullpup stock which can be set up fully ambidextrous if desired. It comes in a variety of colors. If I get this one I will use it(full ambi cause I'm a lefty) and she gets the 995TS. Added cost is $264 w/o ambi charging handle and $279 with. Shipped

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:30:54 PM by Greatguns »
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Re: Hi-point Carbines
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »
I have a 995.
Got it for cheap. REALLY cheap.
A guy I know got it in trade with some other stuff and wouldn't even think about keeping it, so I got it for 50 bucks and it came with four or five mags.
Folks call it a monkey gun because it bears a slight resemblance to the guns used on the old Planet Of The Apes movies.

It doesn't feel real good in hand. Not horrible, but not great. And it's kinda ugly.

It will also chase golf balls around out to about 60-ish yards with the stock sights. Not too shabby there, eh?

I was fooling around one day and knocked it over and broke the front sight off of it.

Broke that sucker right in half.

Since it's a whole lot of fun to shoot, I decided to get a replacement front sight post. I found a few here and there, but some of them were priced more than what Hi Point wanted. I went ahead and called Hi Point to order the post from them as I wasn't real sure if the stuff I was looking at would fit.
I spoke with a lady that told me they had the part I needed in stock and could ship it out the following day. As she took my info, we chatted a bit and I told her what I did.

You could have just about knocked me over with a feather when she told me it was covered by warranty! I reiterated that it was completely my fault, but she covered it any way.
When the package arrived, I was again pleasantly surprised to find not one, but two sight posts in there, one with the mounting bolt.

So......yeah. I'm a fan of Hi Point.
Their warranty, by the way, is for life.

I've held a couple of their pistols and likely won't ever buy one, but I'd own another carbine in a heartbeat.

Service like that is near impossible to find in this day and age, and I'll tell anyone who'll listen about how good they treated me.

One last note - Thanks to GG, looks like I'm buying a new stock for mine. I'll kinda dress the old girl up a bit.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 01:42:56 PM »
 rofl rofl, sorry Larry! BTW, you should have just offered to mow the guys lawn a couple of times for that price, DAYUM!!!

Which stock you looking at???
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 03:08:30 PM »
I have had the 995TS before and now have the classic 995 "monkey gun".  Me, I prefer the classic 995 "monkey gun" setup because it works better for me although it may not work the same for others.  I think a person can send in their classic 995 into hipoint and they will set it up/install it into the newer TS stock for not too bad of a charge. 

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 05:43:34 PM »
I had the monkey gun too...for about a week, and traded it in on an SKS, and with the little bit I had leftover put it towards a P95 ruger.
Yes, this was a very long time ago. the Hi Point was a higher value than a 10m /26\ NIB.  rofl

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 02:13:09 AM »
rofl rofl, sorry Larry! BTW, you should have just offered to mow the guys lawn a couple of times for that price, DAYUM!!!

Which stock you looking at???

That ATI is kinda sexy, but I'll likely go with the TS setup just to keep the cost down.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 12:50:01 PM »
Here's another thing I did because I didn't like the tiny sling they come with, and the swivels are too small to be of use.

I filed the end of the tube rivets off of the OEM sling swivels and tapped them out.
A 9/64" drill opened the holes up to a perfect size to accept Uncle Mike's QD sling swivels of any size.
Seriously, almost like it was made for them.

Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 01:15:02 PM »
I came up with a couple other solutions. :) :o 8) :P cry1 rofl thankyou1 dance2

Pistol mode

Tapco mode

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 07:23:01 PM »
Well, I finally got around to a decision on a stock and got them both dressed up a bit. The TS minorly and a new stock for the old one.
A Tactical 1.5-4x32 w/PEPR mount scope. It is RGB illuminated horseshoe/mildot sight.

Primary arms red dot co-witnessed with the OEM iron sights off of the old one.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 10:19:07 PM »
I want one in 10mm..  :) I admit it. I do like the first setup.. thumb1  I have a High Point 380 I ain't killed or cleaned it very much, it's a tractor gun and it keeps eating.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 10:37:58 PM »
I want one in 10mm..  :) I admit it. I do like the first setup.. thumb1  I have a High Point 380 I ain't killed or cleaned it very much, it's a tractor gun and it keeps eating.

I have a Promag 15 rnder coming for the top one as the OEM 10rnd mags don't come out so easy. I checked with Hi-Point and they said warranty is no longer voided using the new Promags and the guy gave me a couple of tips on the install of the ATI stock so as to not void the warranty on it either. Beyond that I just need to figure out what sling I want on it.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 11:58:45 PM »
Crying shame they can't do like Marlin did with the Camp 9, 45 and the 922, and do a wood stock. There are those of us with black plastic allergies, with the exception of Austrian black plastic, that has never caused me issues.  I know... beggers can't be choosers, but I could deal with the uglier than 3 day old sin for one in ten.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 09:50:09 AM »
Crying shame they can't do like Marlin did with the Camp 9, 45 and the 922, and do a wood stock. There are those of us with black plastic allergies, with the exception of Austrian black plastic, that has never caused me issues.  I know... beggers can't be choosers, but I could deal with the uglier than 3 day old sin for one in ten.

There is a treatment for that allergy. I saw on Ebay a guy makes wood plates to fill in the holes on the TS models to give it a wood look. It is suppose to stop the allergens from getting out. chuckles1 chuckles1 dance2 dance2