Author Topic: Chinese made rimfire weapons  (Read 5192 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Chinese made rimfire weapons
« on: February 08, 2019, 10:43:54 PM »
In keeping with the theme of SKSs, Norinco and China. I thought this would explain some of the lesser known, under the radar Chinese weapons that can be easily found. These rimfires were imported from the 80's through '94, and most are still in current production and available in other nations, they can be found in Canada, Marstar and others import them there. They can be found even in New Zealand..https://www.guncity.com/firearms?brand=Norinco,.

Today, here in the US, prices of these little rimfires sometimes can equal or even exceed some SKSs, some were only imported for a limited time before the government cut the supply off. Models like the fairly common JW-15 can run anywhere between 100 to 250 dollars, while a TU-KKW or even the TU-33\40, both are based off the JW-15, and can run between 400 to 500+ dollars. The latter two can be more expensive if in the original box with sling and accessories. The TT Olympia target pistol with box, barrel weights and magazines I've seen go for upwards of 7 to 800 dollars. I found one locally with no barrel weights, but it had the correct Briklee shipping box, extra magazine and it was $625. But, on the opposite side, one like the JW-20 can run $200-$300 or so, while the real Browning can run $500+. Navy Arms, Clayco and Interarms were all a big importer of these rifles, I have seen 2, and own 1 that have C&A Va Beach Va import stamping.

Owning several variations, I can say my experience has been positive.. for what they are, they are quality built and very accurate. Now, unlike the ones they copy, they are kind of lacking the little finishing touches and refinements that make the originals so nice, they can be a little rough around the edges, and do not expect high grade wood. The wood is akin to a piece of pallet hard wood with a poly finish. Some enterprising people have taken the JW-15 and fitted a nice used Cz walnut stock on them. On the bolt action .22lr, I and many others have used Cz 452 magazines, they can be fitted and used with no issues. The original Norinco magazines can be very pricey when found. Usually, based off what I've seen you can typically buy 2 Cz magazines, for what 1 original Chinese magazine would run. I have also swapped fitted magazines between a Cz452 and the Chinese with no issues from either.

Model numbers can vary based on importer, some importers had their own name or model, like Clayco, for a specific rifle. Also, mag capacity can vary based of nation of import. There are some differences in barrel length as well, some models can be found with a slightly shorter barrel in other nations.

JW-8 - Bolt action .22 lr, typically shown as a Chinese training rifle, BRNO 1 copy, Receiver on the later JW-8 has mfg. date stamped, magazine from JW-15 can be used, 22.75 inch barrel.  There is also a single shot variant, an older one from the late '50s that can be found, that is typically also stamped as JW-8, this variant looks closer, but not identical to a Cz468 garden rifle with it's round receiver, than a BRNO-1 copy.

(Photos courtesy Phosphorus32)

JW-9 - Bolt action .22 lr, a target version of the JW-8, BRNO 1 copy, stock is more suited for target shooting due to added sling rails, heavier barrel, Tangent style sights are similar to a Cz452 LUX, Receiver has mfg. date stamped

JW-14 - Semi automatic .22 lr hunting rifle - copy of the ARMSCOR / Squires Bingham SB20, Can use a Marlin 70 or a Marlin 25n magazine with a little work. 20.5 inch barrel, 6.2 lbs, factory 10rd magazine, also a 25rd magazine can be found

(Photo from Marstar.ca)

JW-15 - Bolt action .22 lr hunting rifles, close copy of the BRNO Model 2 (ZKM 452). Can use Cz452-455 magazines with a little work. 24 inch barrel, 5lbs 12oz, There is also a JW-15A. Can be found with either 5 and/or 10rd magazines and there is a Cz 25rd magazine that could be fitted. I have seen photos of a Clayco imported JW-15(also called the Clayco M-4) say "Made in China at Norinco Zhongzhou Machine Works", as another example, there is also the JW-2000 SxS/coach and a PW87 1887 Lever Action shotguns that can be found with that same marking, possibly others have it as well. This factory also is known for manufacturing .177 air rifles, like the KL-3B Fast Deer sidelever.

(Photos courtesy Greasemonkey)

JW-20 - Semi automatic .22 lr takedown hunting rifle, Also known as the Norinco (Auto Take Down) ATD-22, close copy of the Browning takedown or SA-22, 19.5 inch barrel, 4.75 lbs

(First photo from Enlisted Auctions)

Also, note the box label..."Made in Zhongzhou Machinery Plant China North Industrial Corporation"

JW-21 - Lever action .22 lr hunting rifle.. copy of the Winchester 9422 Legacy, 20.25inch barrel, 6lbs, There is also a JW-21A variant.

JW-21 shown on top

(Photo from Marstar.ca)

JW-23 - Bolt action, This is another spin off of the JW-15, has most of the same features as the JW-15... but it's in .22WMR. 5 rd magazine, 24 inch barrel, 5.75lbs

JW-25, or TU-KKW - Bolt action .22 lr training/hunting rifle, variant of the JW-15, stock patterned after the German Mauser KKW Trainer.. 26 inch barrel, 8 pounds, Mauser style sights, same magazine as the JW-15, Navy Arms imported in 1992-94. Some were equipped with a 2.75 power Type 89 scope and mount(known as a Sniper Trainer), this model can bring a high price if found as a complete original set. 5 rd magazine

JW-25a, or TU-33/40 - Bolt action .22 lr training/hunting rifle, variant of the JW-15, Stock patterned after G33/40 Mountain Carbine, Mauser style sights, 20.75 inch barrel, 7lbs 7 oz... same magazine as the JW-15, Navy Arms imported in 1992-94. 5 rd magazine

Both the JW-25 and JW-25a, TU-KKW is on top, shorter TU-33/40 is below.

(Photos courtesy Greasemonkey)

JW-27 - Bolt action .22 lr hunting rifle. Variant of the JW-15 with a 2-piece stock, Receiver design and swept back bolt handle look almost like a MAS 36.. uses same magazine as the JW-15,  24 inch barrel, 6.2lbs

(Photo from Marstar.ca)

NS-522 - Imported only by Keng's (KFS) in Atlanta Ga, Imported right at the end of the Chinese imports, some made it in the states..most ended up in Canada. Highly sought after by target shooters, it's supposedly a copy of the Anschutz Model 54. Hammer forged, heavy tapered 21 inch barrel, target style recessed crown, 5rd magazine, also a single shot adaptor can be found, 7.5-7.75 pounds, It's also not equipped with sights. Can sometimes found in Bishop, Fajan or other US made stocks, Keng's had some barrelled actions that were also imported according to what I've seen. Also, rumored to be the model China used in the Olympics shooting competition.

Norinco 522

Norinco EM332 - A spin off of the Norinco 522, the which has open sights mounted, can also be found in limited numbers.

Norinco EM332

(Photo from Marstar.ca)

TT Olympia - .22 lr target pistol, Copy of a Walther M1936 Olympia II, the Walther was a 5x gold medal winning pistol in the '36 Berlin Olympics, 4.75 inch barrel, 28.9oz, 9 round magazine.. Some sources claim it was produced at Factory No. 46 Shanlihelu, in Beijing China.

TT Olympia alone and in box w/all accessories

(First photo from Dominion Outdoors)

PS-01 - .22 lr target pistol, based off the Margolin Vostock Russian target pistol, 7 inch barrel, threaded on end of barrel, 10rd magazine, Only a few hundred were reportedly imported into the US, Made at Factory 66

Not a technically a rimfire, but I believe it falls under the same purview as the above, as it is part of the JW series of rifles:

JW-103/JW-105 - Center fire Mauser style bolt actions - 7.62x39/.223 Rem... Made at 396 State Factory, pretty close to the Cz527, can also be found with JING AN stamp and EM331 model number, 21 inch barrel, 6.1 pound. Factory drilled and tapped receiver, 5 rd box magazine is standard.. there is a 10rd magazine as well.

Photos from various auction sites and internet postings are used under 17 U.S. Code § 107, fair use, not for profit educational purposes.  If any of the photos in this post are yours and you explicitly do not want them shown, please contact an admin.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Chinese made rimfire weapons
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 04:51:17 AM »
GM, How would you say the Chinese copy of the venerable M-14 stands up? I've only seen pictures - and read mostly negative (of course) comments by the purists. Hell, I'd imagine even one of those "garage armory" operations in Pakistan or the Philippines could crank out a functional copy of the SKS or M-14, etc.!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 08:48:48 AM »
Very nice description of Chinese rimfire firearms!  Thanks thumb1

I’m proud to have pictures of my ‘66 JW-8 featured  :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 10:45:09 AM »
GM, How would you say the Chinese copy of the venerable M-14 stands up? I've only seen pictures - and read mostly negative (of course) comments by the purists. Hell, I'd imagine even one of those "garage armory" operations in Pakistan or the Philippines could crank out a functional copy of the SKS or M-14, etc.!

I have a Polytech M14s as well.. they were made at the State Arsenal 356 in Yunnan Province, there were 3 importers in the US. I've never had any issues with it, but I don't hammer on it, and only use 7.62 NATO in it. I have maybe...250-300 rds through it.  Any more, they are not cheap, if in really good shape, usually they can run within a few hundred bucks of a Springfield. If someone really wanted to really beat on one, they should probably spend the extra couple of bucks and get a Springfield, at least for parts support..... like anything, even the highly vaulted Springfield will break.(if they didn't, there would be no replacement parts made....right). There are parts that will fit the Chinese, sometimes with a little fitting, I don't have a list handy. I did buy some GI magazines that fit(latched in), also have 2 30rd magazines that fit..I have not tried them in actual firing.

I think alot of the negative may come from it being the Chinese copying an American icon..imagine if the Chinese copied the...Garand. I have a friend who has a Norinco 1911 and has pounded it into the ground shooting it over the years, and he keeps rebuilding it. That 1911 has impressed me, I'm not a 1911 fan, but I would buy one that is Chinese.

The infamous M14 muzzle brake...

Very nice description of Chinese rimfire firearms!  Thanks thumb1

I’m proud to have pictures of my ‘66 JW-8 featured  :)

Thanks.... I'd be proud to have your JW-8 in with my Chinese rimfires.. :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »
Ok, its Saturday Memory Lane Time.
Listen up, ladies:
That muzzle break - blowing  one off.
Short-ish story: M-14 dropped about 30-40ft out of a CH-46 by a PFC Dikitup.
Rifle recovered. Visual, ok. Time to shoot at something. Selector switch to 'auto' - AT DARK. 5rd spacing on tracers, 20rd magazine. First or second round blows off brake  shooting1 Illumination/pyro show/Sgt Rock superflash for the remaining rounds. Dikitup gets NJP and ****canned. I digress.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:29:59 AM »
good read, thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!