Author Topic: Leather Ammunition Pouch: Albanian?  (Read 2176 times)

Online jmaurer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
Leather Ammunition Pouch: Albanian?
« on: December 18, 2019, 07:06:58 PM »
Folks:
In some pre-holiday cleanup about the house, I came across this puzzler that I'd forgotten. Mods, I hope this is in the right place, so please move as appropriate. Anyway, the crude, coarse stitching and (what I guess to be) relative poor quality leather (extra thick to make up for lack of quality) remind me of Albanian-produced copies of Chicom stuff. What do you think? Perhaps the unusual contour of the rear of the top where it's sewn to the body of the pouch may be a clue.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: Leather Ammunition Pouch: Albanian?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 08:12:50 PM »
That's an interesting pouch, jmaurer. Do you remember about what year you picked it up? That may be a clue in associating it with the Albanian SKS and the various years of shipments that came in. It does have the features known on Alby milsurp accessories. But I'm not that well versed in the Alby pouches.

Thanks for sharing!

firstchoice

Online jmaurer

• Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 09:48:31 PM »
I don't quite remember, but I think it may have been when there were piles of pouches from the former Yugoslavia everywhere. One local gun show dealer had lots of SKS-related gear from various sources, including from Albania. I snagged a couple of unissued (wood and horrible plastic toggles) Albanian chest pouches and slings from him, as well as a couple of the chintzy camo fabric Yugoslav stripper clip pouches-perhaps 10 years ago? Like everybody, I really didn't think much of it at the time, but I'm glad I didn't get rid of it. Anyway, I just don't remember this pouch, but the leather seems like what I remember on the slings. I'll have to dig them out and see if I remember correctly.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 10:33:01 AM »
Anything on the inside?

I really like that one.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 10:50:35 AM »
Stitching is very indicative of Albanian workmanship in my opinion.  Chinese stitching is a bit neater and the rivets I've seen are solid not hollow. 

This guy has the same pouch and think it's an Alby: 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/831696076

Online jmaurer

• Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 04:21:46 PM »
Running-man, I noticed another similarity between mine and the one you linked. It looks like both these pouches were constructed using the same saddler's technique of tacking the leather to a wooden form while stitching various edges (the tack holes can be seen in both pouches).

My visits have been sporadic of late, but is there a location on the board to discuss accessories that are solely related to the SKS?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 10:35:37 AM »
Yup...  I have one of these around here somewhere. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline TEKMIRKO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 02:25:13 PM »
RM: Attached are 3 photos of my pouch.