Author Topic: M59, Nice Wood  (Read 11901 times)

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
Re: M59, Nice Wood
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 12:18:11 AM »
Me thinks this simply depends on the way in which the log is cut.  I can make a reference picture and explain further if that would help.

I agree LC the way it's cut makes a huge difference but I'm going with P32 I think it's different wood....what ever happened to the wood samples you were going to send in, did that happen?
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 08:50:56 AM »
Mine is about 3000 after yours, and seems to be the same type of wood, sawn the same way. Mine appears to have an amber shellac vs the garnet yours appears to sport though...and much less of it left.

It seems as if they took a different approach to every tree they encountered maximizing board feet in ways that created some very neat grain patterns. Unfortunately, it seems by luck of the grain, some seem more prone to cracking than other nationalities tend to. I haven't seen one cut quite like Pho's beauty here.

I just feel lucky to have one, local shops are not milsurp rich. Mine sat for nearly two years after I had seen it before I could pick it up. I must be fortunate to live in a SKS collector area that is not highly populated. I still haven't been able to bring myself to clean the cosmoline out of it yet.  I just look at her...all sloppy.  I am sure I will soon though...she deserves it.

Beautiful acquisition there Phos32. Let me know if you need a proper cleaning kit for it...I have a couple spare Yugo kits.

I don't think mine is shellacked. It doesn't have the look or feel of shellac. I agree that they probably focused on maximizing board feet. More on that in my response to FC's post.

Hey thanks for the offer. I was fortunate that this one came with a cleaning kit in the stock.

That's amazing that an SKS sat in a shop for 2 years! I generally stop in at my LGS weekly just to see if they've received any new consignment or traded milsurps  :))

The shop is located in a very difficult to see and get to location in a section of town called Malfunction Junction. They have no real name as far as I can tell, just a modestly sized sign that says GUNS.  rofl

They had FIVE SKSs when I went in, a pristine 59/66a1 and a few Chinese...I think it is primarily consignment, and someone who invested in SKSs is getting out of them. 
There was a hard luck 59/66a1 there with the launcher removed but retaining the ladder....listed as Russian, I corrected them. It is priced $125 more than I got the intact M59 for.  ???

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »
I agree LC the way it's cut makes a huge difference but I'm going with P32 I think it's different wood....what ever happened to the wood samples you were going to send in, did that happen?

Hey Tony!  Yes that's still the plan.  I'm actually one step closer to sending them out:

These SOB's are *hard*.  Band saw with a new blade bogged down halfway through the first.  Tried a sawzall next and that was a hilarious failure.  Finally made a jig to hold them and ran them through my dad's table saw with a 15" carbide blade to get them cut in half.  I'll get a post started tracking the progress of this adventure soon enough.  I've got some interesting observations on them already. thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 12:45:54 PM »
Dang, are those both Chinese stocks? What's the source serial on them? They're radically different.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 01:34:04 PM »
Dang, are those both Chinese stocks? What's the source serial on them? They're radically different.

The top one looks like it might be the hunk-a-Russian stock I sent him. :o  Other looks like Yugo elm maybe.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 10:27:40 AM »
RM...  Please let me know how you are preparing yours to be sent.  Are you now going to reduce them down to a solid portion square chunk?   

I need to know so I can so the ones I have the same way. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 10:33:50 AM »
Also...   I would suggest taking a pic and posting each one cut down the middle and opened up like this for future reference.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 01:57:28 PM »
Already working on that post.  thumb1

The cuts for the tool kit among different stocks are interesting!!!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 02:47:18 PM »
Already working on that post.  thumb1

The cuts for the tool kit among different stocks are interesting!!!

Wouldn't you wanna wait to include all these stocks I have for this effort?  Or are we not interested in those anymore?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »
I can only do five per calendar year. Already have four. Definitely want you to send whatever samples you have as well.  thumb1
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:49:55 PM by running-man »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2018, 08:12:09 PM »
RM...  Please let me know how you are preparing yours to be sent.  Are you now going to reduce them down to a solid portion square chunk?   

I need to know so I can so the ones I have the same way.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2018, 09:37:36 PM »
Duh. Totally missed that post. Wiil most certainly let you know.  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 03:13:36 PM »
I don't know if you were going to submit them to FPL, because they're now limited to 3 per private US citizen per year.

"Please note: Effective October 1, 2017 the Center for Wood Anatomy Research (CWAR) will accept wood identification submissions only from private US citizens, with an annual limit of 3 specimens per household. Persons in need of more than three identifications per year, or businesses, non-profits, or other institutions in need of identifications, should engage the services of a private wood identification consultant or seek help from a local university or other source of expertise."

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research/centers/woodanatomy/wood_idfactsheet.php

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »
Crap

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 05:30:51 PM »
Phosphorus, I know it is not your style but I would be tempted to clean that stock down to its natural color and then finish with true oil. Anyway congrats on a beautiful find. Definitely a keeper.

Charlie

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 08:06:50 PM »
Phosphorus, I know it is not your style but I would be tempted to clean that stock down to its natural color and then finish with true oil. Anyway congrats on a beautiful find. Definitely a keeper.

Charlie

:o

I kinda threwup a little at the thought.. I don't understand the tru oil fetish.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 07:24:59 AM »
Their the baddest looking SkS out there !  The darker the better Phos  :) I can smell it from here. Love shooting my M59's in the warm sun when I feel the need to get some brown cheek.. Nice looking soldier you have there buddy.. Perfect amount of scar tissue also  thumb1