Author Topic: Value of KFS PU Sniper  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Fast306stang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Value of KFS PU Sniper
« on: September 25, 2017, 02:33:21 PM »
Hello all, new here.  Trying to establish a value for a KFS PU Sniper I have that I want to sell.  Hopefully I'm not breaking any protocol by asking, feel free to close the post if I am. 

Anyway, the rifle is in great shape. You can see 2 tiny dings on the left side of the stock, one right behind the mount and one right in front of it. I ordered the mount from Polytech a few weeks ago.  It came with another new base also.  I know it's not quite the right one but it's all I could get unless I want to spend a bunch more money or use a 26.5mm scope.  The screws for the new base don't seem quite right but that's what the original packaging came with. The scope is an NOS Red Star.

The cleaning kit is in the stock, none of the numbers match which is par for the course, however this one still has the bayonet which I *think* is a little less common for this rifle. 

I'm open to any thoughts/comments/suggestions.  Thanks  all!

image hosting websites free

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: Value of KFS PU Sniper
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:03:10 PM »
You are correct in all your descriptions about the rifle.

The KFS PU Sniper is a bit of an odd commercial model to value. It's not a Chinese built model, it was made stateside. They are usually made on 974 arsenal receivers, however I have seen ones (like yours) that are not. Most have the shaved bayo lug, the ones with a bayo are not rare, but definitely less common. And they are almost always a mish mash of parts, however they usually shoot EXTREMELY well.

Having the proper scope and mount is a big plus, as they really have no extra value over a regular SKS without them.

The other thing about the value of these, is that most SKS enthusiasts don't know what they are. They really ONLY have extra value to a commercial model collector looking to fill a spot in his collection.

IF you can find the right person looking for one, they often sell in the $450-$500 range just as yours sits.

Hope this helps.  thumb1

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »
Hi fast30, welcome to the files!  thumb1

Don't see too many of those at all, much less with the mount and scope.  Looks like a 4 digit ghost based on the receiver S/N and the long lug.  Like you say, the other numbers don't match and indeed the other components don't match either as the bayo, stock, and bolt carrier do not belong on an early rifle like that. 

As for price, an avg type 56 goes for ~$350.  You might get $400 or even $450 from this one if you have a persuasive auction, but the piece part nature of the gun and the fact it's a PU sniper with non original scope mount and optics on it are going to limit your upward potential.  If it was a complete cowboys companion or farmer's friend, you'd be looking closer to $1k, but these PUs have simply never caught on in the collecting world.  Bubba modified drilled and tapped guns often sell at comparable prices I'm sorry to say. 

PS: I see that PS has replied as well.  He is the commercial guru around here.  thumb1

Offline Fast306stang

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »
Thanks guys for the warm welcome and for the info!  I appreciate you guys taking the time to reply. Your responses are right in line with what I figured. This particular model is kind of hard to find info on, so I had to ask! Haha!

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
How accurate is it? And how well does it hold Zero?

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 06:56:08 PM »
hi and welcome Stang. good to have you here.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Fast306stang

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »
Thanks guys!

How accurate is it? Well...I haven't shot it yet lol!  I only get to shoot about twice a year so for the last several months, it's just sat in the gun cabinet while I researched and acquired the mount and the scope...

I have a friend who can cut and weld the mount for me to lower it but I've kind of lost interest in it. It feels wrong to modify the mount since it was NIB when I bought it.