Author Topic: Instantly in love- Oberndorf k98k, Luftwaffe issue  (Read 6967 times)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
Instantly in love- Oberndorf k98k, Luftwaffe issue
« on: April 20, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »
  The longer I study WW2 weaponry, the more I appreciate the miracle required for a rifle to survive the war in nearly as-issued condition. Ironically, I find it a bigger miracle for the arms to survive the ages of civilian ownership too. Between sanding, scoping, varnishing, oven cleaner-ing, chopping, faking numbers and other baffling ethos and fading fancies of collectors/shooters past, it's no small wonder to still be able to find healthy, undicked Mausers. Tack that on to the oodles of captured, refurbished, parted out, defaced, renumbered, vandalized and otherwise ruined rifles pouring out of Russian, Yugoslavian, Romanian, and Turk arsenals, and it's easy to see divine intervention embodied in an original k98k. Nothing can better capture the political climate, masterful craftsmanship, entrepreneurial spirit of the firearm industry, and military ideology of the day better than an honest, unmolested k98k rifle.

Here is one I snatched from the ether of Internetland. It's a prewar, Luftwaffe issue, late '38 Mauser from the Oberndorf plant, built just in time for the Phony War invasion of Poland. It's a true bolt mismatch in a striking walnut stock. I had a hell of a time trying to capture how beautiful the wood is on camera. Don't you love it when you pull a rifle out of the box, and immediately know it'll always stay with you?

As soon as I can finagle the Femaru away from Coinring, the Luftwaffe crew will be one step nearer completion.

Pics-

"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Instantly in love- Oberndorf k98k, Luftwaffe issue
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 03:33:34 PM »
Wow!  8)  I can see where that one would have you breaking into refrains of "Edelweiss".  That rich reddish patina on the subtly tiger-striped walnut and the polished metal indicative of pre-war workmanship when the Germans had time to follow their cultural propensity for the finest workmanship, Gott in Himmel!  Nice score Kevin!  thumb1

Good points about the rarity of untouched examples.  Of course on the other side there is the matter of millions produced. It's amazing, in an unfortunate sense, that so many were worn out, destroyed, damaged, re-arsenaled, sporterized/bubba'd and humped.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:40:43 PM »
Think I seen one of these before...  does it have a large crest stsmped on the receiver?  What happened to all the shellac?   Previous owner must have been a bird hunter or an egg farmer with all those ducks/chickens carved in the stock.. whats that all about?

Shame it was never updated with new parts.  What did this one set ya back $338 to $372?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:44:45 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
Any way you can take a bunch of closeup pics so we can get a better idea what we are looking at?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 05:01:27 PM »
Blicero that's a real looker... thumb1 I'm beginning to think you could find an old shoe box in someones attic and pull a K98 out of it!!

Offline Lmbass14

• Enjoying another trip around the sun.
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
  • Just livin' the dream.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 05:44:29 PM »
Kev, das ist eine schöne Mauser. Wissen Sie, wenn ich eins habe, es nur im Safe sitzen würde. Ich hoffe, Sie nehmen Sie ihn aus und geben Sie uns einen Angebot-Bericht. Hatte diese Antwort in deutscher Sprache zu tun, da es sich um eine authentische dirty bird Mauser.
In war, there are no winners or losers.  Just survivors. DR

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 05:54:01 PM »
Wie viele Pizzen haben dieses Gewehr Kosten ? Cought Lassen Sie sich nicht den Verkauf Ihres Körpers auf die älteren Menschen bei der Lieferung von Bestellungen . Prostitution trägt einen $ 1500 Mindeststrafe und eine Nacht im Club gefüttert .

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 06:44:40 PM »
That stock.. Nice  thumb1

Offline Lmbass14

• Enjoying another trip around the sun.
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Just livin' the dream.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »
Ich wollte fragen, wieviel es kostet, aber dachte, dass ich nicht Antwort bekommen würde. Wette mehr als ein paar Pizza, das ist sicher.
In war, there are no winners or losers.  Just survivors. DR

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 05:49:56 PM »
Wie viele Pizzen haben dieses Gewehr Kosten ? Cought Lassen Sie sich nicht den Verkauf Ihres Körpers auf die älteren Menschen bei der Lieferung von Bestellungen . Prostitution trägt einen $ 1500 Mindeststrafe und eine Nacht im Club gefüttert .

Dammit you're going to make me use Google just to read your reply? Quit giving me errands.

About 39 large Supremes, hold the Diana Ross. Worth it.
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."

-LooseCannon

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 05:54:05 PM »
Think I seen one of these before...  does it have a large crest stsmped on the receiver?  What happened to all the shellac?   Previous owner must have been a bird hunter or an egg farmer with all those ducks/chickens carved in the stock.. whats that all about?

Shame it was never updated with new parts.  What did this one set ya back $338 to $372?

Found it.
Not a bad restoration on my part.
I'm a Legend.

-Ramcke

-Ty O

-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »
 rofl

Sure is a purdy specimen Kev...   clap1

Offline sheepdog

• BIG MONEY GRIFF
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
  • Khrushchev was right
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 05:53:14 PM »
 clap1 thumb1 thumb1 clap1

You trying to start an arsenal of German goodies?
LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE