Author Topic: I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them  (Read 4923 times)

Offline rjinga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them
« on: November 05, 2017, 09:11:32 PM »
I had most of my ammunition in metal containers already, but after further reading and YouTube viewing, I decided to go with all metal even for short-term static storage.  I think I’ll use my three Plano plastic boxes for range trips, or some type of non-ammunition storage.  And, given the weight, going forward I think I’m going to focus on metal .30 cal boxes for almost everything.  So… if anyone has a good source for inexpensive containers, please let me know!

(Yes, that’s all I have right now, but everybody has to start somewhere.)  Originally I’d tried to label the cans with my wife’s old hand-squeeze label maker.  And when I say “old” I mean 25+ years old (including the label tape).  Along with being too small to read from more than a foot away, the labels had a tendency to just fall off.  So, I played around with the font and type size on my laptop, printed off a page, cut them to size and attached with shipping tape.

(Yes, I realize that the handles on the three .50 cal cans covers the bottom of the labels.)  However, with the exception of these containers, as I said above, I’ll be moving to .30 cal cans whenever possible.  Therefore, just seeing “7.62x51” on a .50 cal box will tell me exactly what’s in it.  Each one of these cans contains the same thing:  three 4-pouch bandoliers with 12 20-round G3 magazines in them (240 rounds each; 720 rounds total) for my PTR 91 rifle.  These are for a grab-and-go WROL situation.  The one .30 cal can is my current remaining boxed 7.62x51 ammunition.  (Yes, I know I need to buy some more.  My favorite online ammo seller is currently out of my favorite surplus ammo.)

The two .30 cal cans on the left each contain 400 rounds loaded on stripper clips for my SKS rifle.   I’ll dip into these containers as needed for range trips (and then reload the stripper clips from the boxed ammo later).  They could also be used in a grab-and-go WROL situation.  The .50 cal can is about 4/5th full of boxed ammunition and it is heavy!  So heavy that I don’t even want to lug it upstairs to weigh it on the bathroom scale.  I’ll be moving the ammunition to .30 cal cans ASAP.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:51:56 PM »
30 cal cans are my favorites...I use the 50 cals for 22lr and shotgun shells....but they also work nicely for stripper clip loaded bandoleers.

I am one can short of the amount of naked strippers I have :) 
The ammo is of more importance in it's lack than the can is. The stupid fires this year kept me from shooting more than ten rounds out of my 49....less than half a box of 22 even....at least I didn't deplete what I have much.  Makes me kind of want to just shoot off a round into my yard just to smell the smell.  chuckles1

Nice use of the stencil font....that old labelmaker couldn't possibly make it look right anyway.....plus, can you even find that label tape anymore?

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:43:01 PM »
up here they run 30-40 cdn, so theres no chance of a cheap skate like me buying any, i have 2 plastic ones for holding whatever im taking to the range that day and thats it im afraid

Offline rjinga

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 05:25:52 PM »
I picked up an $18.00 shelving unit at my local Walmart this afternoon.  It has adjustable shelves (250 lbs rating per shelf; 750 lbs total) and adjustable feet (if your floor isn't level).

Each shelf can hold:  three .50 cal cans and one .30 cal can; or, two .50 cal cans and two .30 cal cans; or, one .50 cal can and four .30 cal cans; or, six .30 cal cans.  (The angle of the photo makes the legs looked bowed out.)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:04:50 PM »
Nice set up.

At the large quarterly show in Philadelphia there's a guy who sets up a 6foot high wall of  ammo cans. 50cal and 30cal mostly, but also some larger cans for artillery or mortar rounds. The 50cal cans were going for five bucks each at the last show (sometimes he tags them at $7 each) so I ended up with 6 more 50 cal cans. In the storage space I'm limited to for now, the 50 and 30 cal cans are easier to organize becuase they stack more sturdily, as well as higher.

Offline rjinga

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 09:07:08 PM »
I got my three new .30 cal cans today.  I labeled one and moved 26 20-round boxes of 7.62x39 into it.  Here's the current set-up (unlabeled boxes are empty):

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 12:52:38 PM »
I didn't realize Wally World had those shelves so cheap...I could use several...that type of shelving is super cool, and easily adjustable. Based on the bowing I can see, they don't look as robust as the commercial shelving that is like that....but that is a pretty sweet price.

Offline rjinga

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 03:31:18 PM »
Based on the bowing I can see....

It isn't really bowing; it just appears that way in the photo.

Offline Garand1957

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/6
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 05:02:23 PM »
I use painters tape and a felt marker. Very low cost and easy to remove if you want to change whats inside.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 02:17:20 AM »
How do you like your PTR-91, rjinga? I looked for a post about it, but didn't find one. I picked up a like-new Cetme kit and a PTR-91 Receiver, but have yet to get it assembled. I was crazy to sell my HK-91 some years back, but the money was way too right to pass it up at the time. But that was then. Now, I wouldn't sell it. Oh well.

firstchoice

Offline rjinga

• Cadet
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
How do you like your PTR-91, rjinga?

I loved it, until I got my SKS.  Now I'm torn.  Maybe I'm still in the new weapon rush, but it (SKS) is just so fun/nice to shoot.  However, the PTR 91 is more accurate, out farther, and with more punch.

I looked for a post about it, but didn't find one.

Is there a place for us to post about non-SKS weapons?

Offline rjinga

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 02:30:35 PM »
Current set-up:

Top shelf, left to right:  If I only have time to grab one thing, the .50 cal can has one 4-pouch bandolier with four G3 mags loaded with 80 rounds of 7.62x51 ammo for my PTR 91, one 2-magazine belt pouch loaded with 30 rounds of 9mm (in two mags) for my Sig P229, and 120 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo on stripper clips for my SKS (the stripper clips will either go in a bandolier or 3-clip belt pouches, depending on what Santa brings me).  The first plastic box is for .308 boxed ammo (mostly hunting rounds that were given to me).  The second plastic box is for empty G3 magazines.  The last plastic box is a catch-all.

Middle shelf, left to right:  The 1st two .30 cal cans are labelled for 7.62x51 boxed ammunition.  Depending on how the ammo is packaged, I can get about 120 to 320 rounds in each can.  If I don't get ammo for X-mas, I'll order more right after.  The third .30 cal can contains 7.62x39 boxed ammunition.  When it's full it holds 480 rounds.  The last two .30 cal cans contain 400 rounds each of 7.62x39 ammo on stripper clips.

Bottom shelf, left to right:  The three .50 cal cans each hold three 4-pouch bandoliers, so that's 12 magazines with 240 rounds of 7.62x51 ammunition per can.  The last .30 cal can is for boxed 9mm ammunition.  It currently has 120 rounds.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:45:58 PM by rjinga »