Author Topic: Fair warning...  (Read 12786 times)

Offline HillHopper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Fair warning...
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:00:40 AM »
Just wanted to warn you guys over here on the AK end of things. I've been bugging the crap out of Phosphorus32, GreaseMonkey & others in the SKS forums with questions about Simonovs, good/bad deals, etc. because I was looking for a good 'house gun' for out here in the boonies. Well, I got one. BUT, turns out she's most likely kind of a collector piece (pending their verdict on the pics), so while I fully intend to keep & use her, when I get my hands on some more dough I just might be looking around again for something a bit more truck- & woods-suitable. Always did want a WASR or maybe an OPAP, so just in case I can't shake 'the fever', prepare to be bugged.  :)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Fair warning...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
No worries HH, this is what these boards are meant for!  While I'm AK-illiterate, many of the guys here will be able to give you some very good advice regarding all the different pros and cons of AKs. Heck if Greasemonkey (aka The Enabler) gets involved, you might find yourself smitten with a VZ2008 or some pricey Saiga!!

Good luck in your endeavors.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 10:39:46 AM »
I've got a VZ2008 folder that would make an excellent house/truck gun for you :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:56:39 PM »
House gun fer the boonies....a .45-70 lever action works nice  :)

Saiga 12 with a drum works...

Ask away  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline rwhite135

• Liberty University Alum
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:27:27 PM »
The Draco, M92, or M85NP make for good truck guns, as does anything with a folding stock. For home defense, I'd go with a variant of AK-74. 5.45x39mm is less likely to over-penetrate, if you live in a residential area. The M85NP would also work in that situation as it uses 5.56x45mm. If you decide you want a M85NP, you need to act quick as Zastava is discontinuing it. Whatever you do avoid anything made by I.o. and the Century RAS47.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 10:08:03 PM »
If those baby Aks don't float your boat, a PSL or Vepr in 7.62x54r, Yugo M76 in 8x57mm or a Yugo M77, Vepr has one as well, in .308 are always a blast if your rural, well backwoods like me.  A rabid whitetail doesn't stand a chance at any distance then. thumb1 A Saiga 12, Vepr 12 is always fun too, a Saiga 410 can be fun as well, these shotguns would eliminate any over penetration worries thumb1

A Vz58/Vz2008 is another good alternative, it's lighter weight, about a pound lighter, has less felt recoil,  with lighter aluminum alloy mags and a fully machined receiver. Folders are common if thats your thing, or remove a large bolt and make it a fixed stock. Even slightly more accurate than an Ak as well in my experiance. And nope, you cant have either of mine.

In regular Aks, I lean towards Chinese, usually a little more money than what vendors sell their current ones for. I have 2 Mak90s and have been very happy, heavy built 1.5mm RPK reciever, a slightly heavier barrel than European Aks and a factory double hook trigger thats pure enjoyment, smooth as butter thumb1 Get a square cut receiver and covert the thumbhole to regular Ak stock and grip, you can convert a slant cut, but it looks weird. A Bulgarian Arsenal and Polish are very nice as well.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 10:38:16 PM »
I know you're posting in the AK section, but if you're looking for a truck/woods/brush gun on a budget and don't mind bolt action, then a Yugoslavian Mauser, M48, M24/47 or M24/52, or even M98(n) (a scrubbed and refurbed K98) can be had in the $200-325 range depending on how lucky you are at your local shop or with local FTF sales.

Otherwise, I agree the VZ2008 is a great choice. 

Makes a tidy little package...

On the AK side, a Romanian WASR-10 or a Yugoslavian N-PAP are good budget minded AKs. I've got a WASR-10 made in 2015 that works great. Now you're looking at $500 (if you're really lucky with a used one), but more likely closer to $650, or perhaps a few dollars more if they're scarce in your neck of the woods/brush/truck  :))

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:14:09 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 11:08:10 PM »
Wait...did someone say RM's favorite truck gun... yahoo1

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 11:24:45 PM »
Ya'know...We just need to go ahead and start an Enable section.  rofl Poor fella's gonna have to bungie cord the gun safe door shut before long.  :))

Now...why stop at just a truck/brush long rifle? Might as well grab ya a Tokarev while their still fairly cheap. That 7.62x25 is 1 heckuva hard hitting, flat shooting round, screaming out the barrel at over 1600 fps  thumb1

I definitely agree with any Chinese AK. Smooth as butter but unless ya get lucky...a lil on the pricey side. WASR's will always be getting a bit of a bad rap somewhere but honestly there are way more good than bad. I love mine, always runs like a champ  thumb1 If you can run into an older Romanian import ( before the WASR's) They are great.

I usually wouldn't suggest this 1 as a 1st AKM but the price right now is right on at around $500. An AMD-65, mean looking as all get out and runs like an AK should...all day long. Side folding wire stock is rock solid and makes that puppy short and compact for truck gun use. If I had the cash...I would definitely get a 2nd one.

If ya get a chance at a VZ... If I had the cash I would if I could. Oh well 1 day. Any which way ya go...AK/AKM or a variant there of, Its hard to go wrong.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 11:38:08 PM »
Ya'know...We just need to go ahead and start an Enable section.  rofl Poor fella's gonna have to bungie cord the gun safe door shut before long.  :))

Now...why stop at just a truck/brush long rifle? Might as well grab ya a Tokarev while their still fairly cheap. That 7.62x25 is 1 heckuva hard hitting, flat shooting round, screaming out the barrel at over 1600 fps  thumb1

Me, an enabler  didnt do I just thought this thread needed a few pictures  :)

Good point on the Romanian TTC AH! Where can you get a pistol firing a flat shooting supersonic screamer of a cartridge for just $200-250?!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 11:52:55 PM »
Im all for a Tokarev...but there always options...like ol George Jones said....I had Options, high cap and longer than the pistols..a Polish PPS in 7.62x25. 35 glorious rounds of x25 Tok  thumb1 and a 10 inch barrel to help the little round get a little faster :) 

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 11:59:24 PM »
 drool2 drool2 drool2 me want. Wish I would have jumped on one when they were cheap and plentiful  dash2

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 12:04:09 AM »
See an "Enabler" enabling an "Enabler".. rofl2 Oh P32 you can still find them...from time to time.. Even simpler than an Ak..eats with a vengance and accurate.  Sadly, to cut the stock loose you need the tax stamp, one day I will get that stamp and cut her free thumb1

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 12:14:34 AM »
drool2 drool2 drool2 me want. Wish I would have jumped on one when they were cheap and plentiful  dash2

+100 You aint kidding Phos. That puppy is on my short list for sure. Now if you can handle the tax stamp ( or SHTF) wouldn't you just love to undue the weld and see how it shoulders?  thumb1  Edit:( lol ya beat me to it GM)
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 07:41:54 AM »

Ok.. here is a few :)

one thing though.. If you got a big truck, do it Commie style and get a big Ak

Or.... do it high and tight American style thumb1 (Made in China of course) rofl2 

Or a Chinese cross dressing in Romanian clothes

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 10:49:06 PM »

Ok.. here is a few :)

one thing though.. If you got a big truck, do it Commie style and get a big Ak

Or.... do it high and tight American style thumb1 (Made in China of course) rofl2 

Hey Billy Jim. If you send me that top gun thats on the ammo box ill send you a Brand New California Flag for your pole.. You dont need that thing anyways ! Just send it over to the Correct Direction..  :P

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 11:01:31 PM »
Dude.... I cant hear the words coming off yer keyboard... Something bout a strange  flag and send you a.....wha???  I think you been inhaling too many fumes from a certain Dodge, it's finally done fried your noodle and your hallucinating and jabbering in some ancient forgotten Swahili dialect some kinda fierce..  rofl

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 11:23:01 PM »
Dude.... I cant hear the words coming off yer keyboard... Something bout a strange  flag and send you a.....wha???  I think you been inhaling too many fumes from a certain Dodge, it's finally done fried your noodle and your hallucinating and jabbering in some ancient forgotten Swahili dialect some kinda fierce..  rofl

Ok ill take the AK on the bottom and second day the flag to ya. Camon bro last week I sent you a nice Yugo.. Ill even throw in a Colin Kappernick jersey  chuckles1

Offline rwhite135

• Liberty University Alum
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 11:51:27 PM »

That's not a proper crossdresser, GM. It's missing the donkey dong.  :P  rofl

As for DC and his offers, he is including two good campfire starting materials.  chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 12:06:21 AM »
Thanks GM for the generous offer but after smelling that Yugoslavian feminine trench perfume they came home in, Ive decited to listen to the girls and keep them from .. West Virginia, Mountain Mama's They ll stay home, They'll stay home..  chuckles1 Besides , Dont you have some kinda road kill dinner to attend to ?

Hummm think1 ... seems DC snubbed my offer earlier, now he all like engorged, trying to sweet talk me outta me good stuff.  And why you trying to send me some guy named Colin Kappernick from New Jersey, the heck am I gonna do with him.. rofl2 rofl2 chuckles1

That's not a proper crossdresser, GM. It's missing the donkey dong.  :P  rofl

ok, maybe not a cross dresser, I'm not a "dong" type of guy... how about a ethnic crisis in wood and steel chuckles1