Author Topic: Thoughts on Korea and NK SKS values  (Read 2245 times)

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Thoughts on Korea and NK SKS values
« on: May 01, 2018, 08:55:52 AM »
So, I am watching the news this morning, and apparently the military industrial complex lost over ten billion in market value since the announcement of steps to unify North Korea.  What will happen to the milsurp market if they unify?

We don't have any statutes against South Korea imports do we?  There seem to be no shortage of substandard Korean magazines out there...
What are the chances of North Korean SKSs, possibly still stockpiled since they have obviously moved on with their military suddenly becoming available on the market en mass?

The SKS is still kosher in non AK mag modified form on the new proposed AWB, so there should still be no import ban for 'evil features'.  Most NKs seen have already been defrocked of their grenade launchers and sights before capture. Whether that was done by NK before donation or by the NVA because they were deemed cumbersome I don't know...

What do you folks speculate may happen in general with Korea as a whole nation be like?  It seems making any military import sanctions wouldn't look good for a nation ending a 68 year old war...especially when allied with half of them anyway. Which kind of makes you wonder what the state of the unified Korean military might look like.

I would think the impact would be greatest felt by the folks who heavily invested already. If there isn't any information on potential numbers...the market may stay somewhat high for awhile, but if they keep coming in obviously the value will drop more and more.  Who knows, they might have eaten the stocks and melted them down into missles...or already given all they had to the NVA.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Thoughts on Korea and NK SKS values
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 10:13:30 AM »
I would like to see them imported regardless as to what it does to the value of mine.  I would love to see more enthusiasts with the ability to own one.  However, I dont think its going to happen for a laundry list of reasons. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 11:05:46 AM »
I know South Korea, Daewoo made a K2 rifle and some spin offs, a variant of the M16, importation was killed during the Assault Weapons Ban. There is an importer that does import a few South Korean DP-51/LH-9 pistols, Lionheart Industries. If all those export sanctions are lifted against North Korea, maybe they will, but who knows, and quite frankly, I probably wouldn't hold my breath. When South Korea got rid of Garands it took a while, and we may never see the mass of M1 Carbines they have.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »
Interesting thought exercise. My opinion is I don't expect to see any firearms from North Korea in my lifetime, which hopefully will not terminate until mid-century or later  :))

Granted, Kim Jong-un is a morbidly obese smoker, but he is only 34-36, so I don't see his death and/or Korean re-unification any time soon. He's certainly not going to give up power willingly ;) Until North Korea ceases to exist as a separate political state with its current form of government or a close facsimile thereof, there isn’t a chance we'll see any imports of firearms from north of the 38th Parallel.

If the current government were to fall and out of the resulting chaos, a free democratic state emerged that was still separate from S. Korea , then perhaps we'll see some imports, but probably not firearms, as they simply wouldn't be a high priority. Trying to help them to convert to a market based economy would take enormous international market assistance. Production and trade of agricultural, food, energy, raw materials and durable consumer goods would be way higher on the priority list for developing a healthy economy.

We can look at other totalitarian regimes that have been toppled as historical examples of likely outcomes in regard to firearms imports. We haven’t seen any imports from Iraq or Afghanistan (not counting service member bringback antiques). We know there are plenty of firearms over there, but not even bolt action rifles or pistols have been imported, as far as I know. An aggravating factor may be that we have very few importers of any size left, and no, or very few, connections in the area. CIA and PW Arms are the only two large importers that come to mind in the milsurp area, with a smattering of other small players. Other factors are politics and priorities with regard to economic development and trade issues.

Another example from just across the 38th Parallel of a long time US ally, South Korea. Century hasn’t been able to get the previously negotiated deal for the South Korean M1 Garands and Carbines approved under past or current administrations, so if a North Korean state were to become unified with South Korea in the future there'd be the same hurdles to those imports, and reunification is probably the best case scenario in regard to imports of firearms.