Author Topic: Hello from NJ!  (Read 5720 times)

Offline JoeBlobs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Hello from NJ!
« on: August 18, 2017, 09:58:23 PM »
Greetings!
Bought my first SKS, and first rifle ;), a few months back and figured I'd post up and say hello. The survey was awesome. I noticed and learned a lot about this rifle just by answering some questions, that was cool. I'm still not quite sure what year it is though, really want to figure it out.
Here are some pictures:

This is when I bought it

This is when I decided to start messing with it

And this is it now

Offline newchi

• Marksman
Re: Hello from NJ!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:51:34 PM »
Im going to jump in here and say they will need photos of the markings on the left side of the receiver, the top and rear of the receiver cover just to start.

edit
Oh and welcome btw :)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 12:04:13 AM »
Welcome from WA!

+ 1 to what newchi said. Left side of receiver at the bare minimum.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »
Welcome to the sks-files!  And as stated before, pics of the left side of the reciever please.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 07:45:07 AM »
...or at least the first two digits of the serial number on the left side of the receiver to help you date it. From the pinned barrel and cast gas block it was certainly later production.

It appears to have had the original finish judging from the formerly nice sharp grasping grooves in the before pictures, probably had a sharp matching serial number on the stock before you sanded it too. Do all the numbers match? Have you disassembled and cleaned the firing pin channel on the bolt?

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »
hi Joe and welcome. good to have you here.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline JoeBlobs

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 06:24:26 PM »
I knew I should have just posted them lol. Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm thinking it's from the 60s/70s but I'm not really sure.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 06:34:56 PM by JoeBlobs »

Offline JoeBlobs

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 06:30:40 PM »
...or at least the first two digits of the serial number on the left side of the receiver to help you date it. From the pinned barrel and cast gas block it was certainly later production.

It appears to have had the original finish judging from the formerly nice sharp grasping grooves in the before pictures, probably had a sharp matching serial number on the stock before you sanded it too. Do all the numbers match? Have you disassembled and cleaned the firing pin channel on the bolt?

I'm not sure about the finish. It looked to me like it was redone at some point, and redone very poorly. The lacquer, or whatever they used, was bubbling by the gas block and the grip from heat I guess. Dunno if thats a common thing, my SKS is the only one I've ever seen in person.
But yes all the numbers match. I haven't removed the firing pin from its assembly yet though. It doesn't feel like its gunked up at all but I know I should do it anyway. A little nervous about taking that apart to be honest.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 07:47:34 PM »
oooohhhh a 0223   thats fancy. (i think)  Actually i have no idea, someone way smarter on Chinese guns will tell you if it is.  Its better than a boring old 26 though.

As you read this one of the bigwigs here are cross referencing that serial number and factory against known examples.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:04:23 PM by newchi »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 08:29:03 PM »
SN beginning with "21" would be 1976 manufacture and that "8-76-4" number sequence appears to coincide with the year of manufacture. Coincidence? I haven't paid a lot of attention to the later builds, so I'm not certain but I'd lean toward it being the year.

I'm 99% certain that finish was original as you can see in the stampings on the before pictures you added. It was just flaking shellac. I would have definitely left it but I'm close to the last click at the purist end of the purist-bubba spectrum and now what's done is done. Enjoy it!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 08:59:19 PM »
Looks like a 76 to me...  Looks good.   thumb1

My first chinese was a /0223\.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline JoeBlobs

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 10:22:30 PM »
SN beginning with "21" would be 1976 manufacture and that "8-76-4" number sequence appears to coincide with the year of manufacture. Coincidence? I haven't paid a lot of attention to the later builds, so I'm not certain but I'd lean toward it being the year.

I'm 99% certain that finish was original as you can see in the stampings on the before pictures you added. It was just flaking shellac. I would have definitely left it but I'm close to the last click at the purist end of the purist-bubba spectrum and now what's done is done. Enjoy it!

Thanks for the info my man. You're a walking SKS encyclopedia. ;) Ahh I kind of figured that was the date on there. What is that... month, year, day? Not familiar with that at all.

So are the 0223 guns rare/limited production? Special factory or something? Civilian or Military market?

If you're that sure about the finish then you're probably right. There was shellac (right, thats what it's called) all over the metal butt plate and the loop for the strap. I thought for sure someone went over it and just didn't give a **** about it. Guess I was wrong. That is some quality control haha.
Ahh well. I was torn about refinishing it but the carpenter in me just couldn't live with the bubbling and flaking.

Anyways thanks a bunch guys.
1976... that's cool. Same year the first Rocky movie came out. :)

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 10:31:45 PM »
Normally i would rank on the purist end too, but i think you did a good job on it thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 10:55:28 PM »
So are the 0223 guns rare/limited production? Special factory or something? Civilian or Military market?

I think an /0223\ Type 56 is unusual, but not exactly rare. Military production. 1976 was before any exports to US markets occurred, or other countries, as far as I know.

If you're that sure about the finish then you're probably right. There was shellac (right, thats what it's called) all over the metal butt plate and the loop for the strap. I thought for sure someone went over it and just didn't give a **** about it. Guess I was wrong. That is some quality control haha.
Ahh well. I was torn about refinishing it but the carpenter in me just couldn't live with the bubbling and flaking.

Shellac has got to be the world's worst rifle finish, as it is a non-penetrating shell that sits on top of the wood and is easily broken by bumps or scrapes. Good material for the female lac bug that makes it,  but not so good for wooden rifle stocks that are carried around and bumped and scraped etc.

Offline JoeBlobs

• Newber
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
Awesome. Thank you for all the info Phosphorus! You've told me everything I wanted to know. :D

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 10:46:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum from Montana and nice SKS!
If the stamping on the bottom of the receiver is to be believed as a potential date....this was made on my fifth birthday!

If you ever need to sell this one, hit a brutha up!

I redid a stock and it turned out very similar to yours, kind of a strawberry blonde, I like it.  thumb1

I have only held one 0226 in the wild, I am curious if it is still at the shop I saw it at....it sat for several months at least.  A tad overpriced IIRC.

Edit: DOH I typed 0226 instead of 0223...and was quoted. BAH! banghead1
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:43:01 PM by Justin Hell »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 11:04:55 AM »
Awesome. Thank you for all the info Phosphorus! You've told me everything I wanted to know. :D
No problem! Happy shooting. Be sure to post your next SKS too, they multiply

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 12:44:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum from Montana and nice SKS!
If the stamping on the bottom of the receiver is to be believed as a potential date....this was made on my fifth birthday!

If you ever need to sell this one, hit a brutha up!

I redid a stock and it turned out very similar to yours, kind of a strawberry blonde, I like it.  thumb1

I have only held one 0226 in the wild, I am curious if it is still at the shop I saw it at....it sat for several months at least.  A tad overpriced IIRC.
The /0223\ and [0223]s seem to have the bottom receiver markings in common:
/0223\

[0223]

Then we get into DP/DBs. 
Here's a DB (Lushun)

The 76 or 72 in each appears to be a date, but I don't think we have enough data to determine what the other numbers signify.  It could be a Lot / Year / Factory code like we see on ammo crates as well. 

The guns themselves are common enough, especially the /0223\s  Lots of them floating around from year 19 to 29.  thumb1

Nice gun OP, I don't mind the stock refinish at all.  If it's comfortable to shoot, you're good to go in my book!  dance2