Author Topic: Glock 17  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Ikecornell

• For as long as there are battles, there will always be Marines.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • We will cut our enemies down in droves (M60 thing)
Glock 17
« on: October 03, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »
My granddaughter is in the junior police training program here in Ca And will be going to the academy soon. CHP carry Glock 17s, question is, other than price, what's the difference between a 3 series and a series 4 Glock. I have read this and that, here and there, but would like your collective thoughts on this matter. She has pretty small hands FYI  of course when the time comes I will have her properly fitted with her primary and backup weapon.
Corporal USMC (1969-1972)
MOS 0331

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Re: Glock 17
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 04:15:54 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, the gen 4 has the removable backstrap on the grip that can be changed out to adjust for differing hand sizes and the gen 3 does not.  When a gen 4 is purchased new, it should come with either 2 or 3 different backstrap sizes to try and use the one that works the best for the owner.  If she has small hands, she will most likely not use any additional backstrap at all.  There may be other differences between the two but I can only remember this one difference.  Good luck to her!  Also, the Glock 19 should work well as a backup weapon to her Glock 17.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 06:02:56 PM »
Also.. look at a Glock Gen 5.. both in 17 and a 19. Gen4 is so yesterdays news...  Some differences are a Glock Marksman Barrel, an nDLC finish, ambidextrous slide stop levers, a grip with no finger grooves, and a flared mag-well, plus other differences.

https://us.glock.com/products/model/g17gen5
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 06:51:40 PM »
Also.. look at a Glock Gen 5.. both in 17 and a 19. Gen4 is so yesterdays news...  Some differences are a Glock Marksman Barrel, an nDLC finish, ambidextrous slide stop levers, a grip with no finger grooves, and a flared mag-well, plus other differences.

https://us.glock.com/products/model/g17gen5

True on that.  I forgot about the gen 5 Glocks.  I like their ambidextrous slide stop levers, but I dont like the flared mag-well as it is rather sharp in some areas and tends to "bite" into my hand in some areas when I "tried" one out at a recent gunshow.  Also, I prefer the finger grooves on the gen 3.  But what works for me may not work for others. 

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 09:20:19 AM »
can get good deals on gen 3  :oand 4 because gen 5 just came out.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 09:57:40 AM »
Also to add, the gen 3 and gen 4 models are of the "3 pin" design where as the gen 5 has gone back to the "2 pin" design.  I cant say if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  It is just another difference between them.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 12:22:40 PM »
Pins do not always indicate generation... Some 2gen Glocks have 3 pins, in fact it was by design... G20, G21 and G22 for example..  The G20-G21 got 3 pins first by design....in the G20, 10mm is a heck of a round for a polymer pistol.. See if you can find a G20-G21 2 pin..G22 was next, it was released a year prior to the G20, but suffered frame issues as well, it was redesigned to a 3 pin frame soon after the G20 release. Next up within about a year, the G23, G18 and G26....which it started from there, all models got the 3 pins for commonality.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »
Pins do not always indicate generation... Some 2gen Glocks have 3 pins, in fact it was by design... G20, G21 and G22 for example..  The G20-G21 got 3 pins first by design....in the G20, 10mm is a heck of a round for a polymer pistol.. See if you can find a G20-G21 2 pin..G22 was next, it was released a year prior to the G20, but suffered frame issues as well, it was redesigned to a 3 pin frame soon after the G20 release. Next up within about a year, the G23, G18 and G26....which it started from there, all models got the 3 pins for commonality.

True.  I have never seen any gen 2s with 3 pins but I have seen at least 1 early gen 3 with only 2 pins.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »
Here ya go....Very early G20 2 gen 3 pin

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 12:46:22 PM »
Here ya go....Very early G20 2 gen 3 pin

Oh GM, I was not doubting you, I was just saying that I had never seen one.  That is all that I meant.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 09:01:29 PM »
One pin 2 gen three pin 5 gen two pin 3 gen four pin 4 gen.

Am I close?   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 10:48:48 PM »
Even though I'm a certified Glocksmith and work on a lot of them, I don't really care for them and it's primarily because of the grip. I find Glock grips pretty wide and I don't care for the grip to frame angle.

With that said, if she has small hands I would definitely go for a Gen 4, because at least this way she can change back straps for better hand fitment.

The main differences between Gen 3 and Gen 4, is that Gen 4s have a much improved design recoil spring assembly, ambidextrous mag release, and of course the replaceable back straps.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 01:00:20 PM »
Never had much of an issue with the size or the angle of a Glock grip.. the angle is just a few degrees more of a 1911, I mean they are fairly close.. as far as width/thickness, most double stack highcaps have a thick grip, this is something I havent noticed either.....but try finding a pistol grip larger than a Desert Eagle. After firing that, the Glock doesn't feel like it's there. My Glock grip is pretty close if not, identical to my S&W Sigma, between these two I do not notice any difference, they are that close in angle and thickness.

There are horrible grip designs, C96 Broomhandle, Dresye, on and on... mostly older turn of the century handguns where the grips are almost straight and way too narrow.. but in most of todays modern designs, most big name manufactures use grip angles that are all within a few degrees of each other. If one were to look, you will see a majority of hand gun grips pretty much fall somewhere between the John Browning design and Georg Luger's design. These are the two guys, who after even a 100yrs, out of everything else, no one has challenged the grip angle design, because it works.

Now...the adjustable back straps.. that's something I'd like to try..but.. I have a Gen 3, and looking at a Gen 2. So...I'm back stepping.  chuckles1

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »
Never had much of an issue with the size or the angle of a Glock grip.. the angle is just a few degrees more of a 1911, I mean they are fairly close.. as far as width/thickness, most double stack highcaps have a thick grip, this is something I havent noticed either.....but try finding a pistol grip larger than a Desert Eagle. After firing that, the Glock doesn't feel like it's there. My Glock grip is pretty close if not, identical to my S&W Sigma, between these two I do not notice any difference, they are that close in angle and thickness.

There are horrible grip designs, C96 Broomhandle, Dresye, on and on... mostly older turn of the century handguns where the grips are almost straight and way too narrow.. but in most of todays modern designs, most big name manufactures use grip angles that are all within a few degrees of each other. If one were to look, you will see a majority of hand gun grips pretty much fall somewhere between the John Browning design and Georg Luger's design. These are the two guys, who after even a 100yrs, out of everything else, no one has challenged the grip angle design, because it works.

Now...the adjustable back straps.. that's something I'd like to try..but.. I have a Gen 3, and looking at a Gen 2. So...I'm back stepping.  chuckles1

Two grip designs, sizes, and angles that I have found to work well for me have been the Browning HP and the Glock.  I have a gen 3 G19 now but at one time I had a gen 2 G19 that I sold off to fund another project.  Regret that sale to this day.  Not that is was better, I just wish I would have kept it.   :(

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 01:16:09 PM »
Actually... if one were to get all technical.. the Glock almost emulates the angle of....a Luger, a Ruger MkII,MkIII, Japanese Nambu or a Browning Buckmark, Georg Luger's 55 degree design.

Offline Ikecornell

• For as long as there are battles, there will always be Marines.
  • Cadet
  • We will cut our enemies down in droves (M60 thing)
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »
Thank you all, we're going to look at the gen-4, I'll let you know what we come up with. Semper-Fi
Corporal USMC (1969-1972)
MOS 0331