Author Topic: First Albanian  (Read 4776 times)

Offline Charleslee

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
First Albanian
« on: February 15, 2018, 05:59:05 PM »
Just won this on a GB auction fellas & am anxious to receive it. What do you guys think of it? Quite unfortunately, some numnuts Bubba’d it as you can see, adding the stupid rail. Also it’s missing the butt plate (I just bought one on Fleabay & hope it fits) & cleaning rod w/ holder. So I wish to return it to it’s original state by obtaining an Alby receiver cover. Not having much luck thus far. Have been told i could just use a Chinese or another  but would prefer Albanian. If anyone has one they would be willing to sell me or know where I could get one, i’d be most appreciative. Thanks.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/746067044

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
Re: First Albanian
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 07:27:56 PM »
congrats, looks good. easy fixes and sounds like you getting there. few places to look: copes, aim and natchez (that should keep you busy).  :)
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Charleslee

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »
Thank you, CarlsSKS. I appreciate your help. Aim was recommended for the buttplate & they’re certainly cheap, one whole buck, but they looked the part so I ordered one from another recommended source - Fleabay. Several dollars more but looked decent. They are out of Albanian receiver covers.
I w/ get busy checking Natchez & Copes, Sir.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »
An Albanian cover might be hard to find.. typically another maker will drop on with a little, sometimes no fitting.

https://www.desertfoxsales.com/sks_parts_receiver_cover_for_sale_p/sks-035.htm

Or keep an eye on Fleabay.. there is always someone screwing up a rifle, so they usually sell them off after they mount their scopes. Once in a blue moon you can find an unnumbered cover..

I don't quite understand the cleaning rod holder... looks like the prongs are there and between those and the bayonet pressure, thats usually what holds it.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:04:57 PM »
I don't quite understand the cleaning rod holder... looks like the prongs are there and between those and the bayonet pressure, thats usually what holds it.

I think he actually means the cleaning rod itself.  Those are all around.  Take care if buying a newly made one as they are hit or miss.  Justin Hell put it well wen he said "I don't know how they can mess up fabricating a cleaning rod, but they did!"  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 10:38:36 PM »
You know an alby buttplate had two buttholes.....  right? 

Not kidding.    :))

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 10:54:02 PM »
Then you need 2 hole flaps, so they aren't all free, exposed and offensive to others.. chuckles1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 11:12:39 PM »
This is true..... TWO mud flaps. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »

The bayonet puts enough pressure on it, when fully closed to hold it into place. Usually not enough to keep them from rattling...but in place.

I think he actually means the cleaning rod itself.  Those are all around.  Take care if buying a newly made one as they are hit or miss.  Justin Hell put it well wen he said "I don't know how they can mess up fabricating a cleaning rod, but they did!"  thumb1

Avoid NC Star rods, they use a straight piece of rod, and for the cap, it is simply pressure fit into place....and not well, as there is barely any surface area. The rod can actually jam into the cap piece filling the hole. They are OK for looks, but don't ever try using one.
The five dollar rods at Desert Fox, I suspect are actually Yugo 59/66 rods...and are slightly longer. I am unsure if they will fit all the way in with the Albanian stocks.  I ended up using it on a T53...as it wasn't cooperating with the stock I was using at the time....it wouldn't clear the nubs fully. It might not hurt to ask them first, they recently got a lot of Yugo stuff, but do stock Chinese parts frequently too. They might not even know there is a difference between them...you want the shorter if they have them.

Offline Charleslee

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 10:33:23 AM »
Natchez & Copes didn’t have any so the hunt goes on.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 01:39:35 PM »
Natchez & Copes didn’t have any so the hunt goes on.

Not an Albanian.. but it will get it looking stock.. I posted this earlier..
https://www.desertfoxsales.com/sks_parts_receiver_cover_for_sale_p/sks-035.htm