Author Topic: Wires...?!  (Read 2588 times)

Offline HillHopper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Wires...?!
« on: February 09, 2017, 02:07:03 PM »
Okay, Stupid Noob Question alert... I feel goofy for even asking, but it's really bugging me. I've never gotten hands-on with an AK & have therefore never seen one with the receiver cover off. So a few days ago I happened across a picture looking down into an opened WASR-10 receiver from above & saw, as I said in the title of this topic... wires?... Twisted steel wires seemingly kind of lashing things together. Living in farm country, I grew up hearing the saying 'held together with spit & baling wire' & knowing its connotation, & it's definitely NOT something I would associate with the legendary reputation of the AK. So I thought perhaps the wires were something CAI did in their assembly process, but I just saw a similar photo, this time of an Arsenal 106, & sure enough, yet again... wires. That's truly part of the standard assembly of an AK? Seeing them on both a low-end & top-end AK would seem to indicate so, but am I missing something?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Wires...?!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 02:41:36 PM »
Very common, nothing new... pop the operating rod spring out of an SKS,

Springs in my Vz 58, Vz 2008 and a Chinese Mak90

NHM-91 spring

A fairly decent explanation why  thumb1 http://www.ctspring.com/press/2012/03/stranded-and-shaped-wire-springs
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline HillHopper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Re: Wires...?!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »
Ah. So these aren't 'wiring something together' kinds of strands but actually springs. Just put in a place & configuration that was looking decidedly unfamiliar to a guy who's used to 1911s & so forth. I'm familiar with the op rod spring on my SKS, but it's more like what I've always thought of as a 'spring' in a semiauto firearm-- tubular coil held in place around a rod. Thanks for helping me get my head out of the box. Or wherever it might have seemed to be. :)