Author Topic: Local k98  (Read 4605 times)

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Local k98
« on: December 07, 2016, 06:15:40 AM »
My lgs has a Russian capture k98, it's a CE 44. Has some stock repairs and unfortunately the eagles are all peened out. Is this date/maker rare at all? Initially I thought it was high at 499 but rc's seem to be going up. If it wasn't peened I think I would be a player but what do you experts think?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Local k98
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 11:21:31 AM »
Blicero is def the guy that would know....  Maybe shoot him a message. 

Personally, I would want one with chickens intact. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
J.P. Sauer & Sohn, about 200,000 made, not rare.  RCs have been going up but $500 still seems a bit rich, especially for a peened-markings example. If this is your first K98k then an RC isn't a bad way to become familiar with their function, examine all the parts, and shoot them. If it doesn't have a really good bore I wouldn't bother negotiating. If it has a good bore and you are looking for your first shooter K98k, then I'd point out the peened markings, mixed serial numbers (even though mixed serial numbers and Russian Capture are synonymous) and try to get him down at least $50, preferably $100. Pics would be great of course.

LC's right, Blicero is the resident expert. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 01:39:48 PM »
Thanks for the info, unless it was something special I was not going to bother with it. If I get a k98 it better have gen-you-wine swasticas on it you know? Actually I am probably going to grab a nice No.1 Mk3 enfield they had.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »
Whichever one you decide to get, don't be shy about posting some photos up.  I never get tired of seeing these old WWII workhorses!  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 02:29:10 PM »
+1 to RM's comment.

I like my Lee-Enfields too.  Would love to see it. A No1 MkIII (magazine cutoff) or MkIII* (no cutoff, has the asterisk on the receiver wrist) should have matching serial numbers on the receiver wrist, bolt handle, barrel (lift up the rear handguard that has a spring clip around the barrel) and the nosecap. A lot of variation in these SMLEs.  Made by Enfield, BSA, LSA or "peddled scheme" (SSA or NRF marked on the rear of the receiver behind the backsight), Lithgow, "B" marked (BSA dispersal rifles from WWII), and RFI/GRI (Ishapore).

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 02:56:48 PM »

This is the Enfield, it's an ishapore but for 349 I thought it would be a fun shooter. I wanted to read up on them a little before I dove in though. I need to double check if it all matches. Bore is very nice.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 03:19:37 PM »
$349 isn't bad for a local price. I'd like it better at $300, since it's not a British or Australian rifle but the Indian manufactured rifles are fine. If it has a good bore, and no wiggle in the receiver wrist to forend joint (indication of poor disassembly procedure in the past) then it's good to go. Wiggle in the wrist to buttstock is more easily remedied.

In '51 they made the transition from the GRI (Georgius Rex Imperator) with the crown, to the RFI (Rifle Factory Ishapore) with the Ashokan lion crest (3 of 4 lion heads visible on the crest).  It took them a while, considering Indian independence day is August 15, 1947.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 09:20:32 PM »
I personally discount no value if the proofs are wiped out. A bastardized mutant Mauser will always be just that, a poorly refurbished parts gun.
No, there is nothing particularly rare about a ce44, but when it comes to rcs, codes have little importance or collector interest.
If the rifle speaks to you, and the bore is in nice shape, and it's in as-imported condition, then $499 is right on the money these days. That's a great low-risk way to enter the k98 world.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon