Author Topic: Target Practice One Crisp Winter Morning From My House in Montana 2009  (Read 4968 times)

Offline Root83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • If it goes" bang"...it's all good
This is the view from my back porch in north central Montana... the treeline in the distance is the Upper Missouri River Breaks... The little dot below the word Coyote... is a Coyote... they were everywhere here, along with Elk, Mulie, White Tail, Antelope, Wolves and even a Moose or two along the river.... I wont lie and say this was done with an SKS.. but you can appreciate the opportunities and the fact there is no one for almost 40 miles to say... NO  :)  The second picture gives a little more perspective and says what I used ...

8yrs and 97 Days in the US Marine Corps, recalled Dec 1990 for Kuwait, orders cancelled before unit ship out date, tried to re enlist Sept 14, 2001... told I was too old...by one year. Dang It
Semper Fi

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: Target Practice One Crisp Winter Morning From My House in Montana 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »
Now THAT is a GOOD coyote! And a good shot too, but not a big deal for a .270. I love that caliber I shoot the 130 grain also.

Offline Root83

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 12:30:26 PM »
What was funny was... my stepson had hollered at me... said ... bet you cant hit that one.... it's hauling ass across the hay field... I was probably a sight to behold... on the back deck with nothing on but red long handles saying.... hide, watch and learn... the first shot spun him around but he kept going in the same general direction on three legs.. I worked the bolt, corrected a little and placed cross hairs on his nose as he's running .....bang... down... helicopter tail for a second or two.. end of coyote... LOL Step Son just stood there with eyes wide and his mouth hanging open... that too was funny.
8yrs and 97 Days in the US Marine Corps, recalled Dec 1990 for Kuwait, orders cancelled before unit ship out date, tried to re enlist Sept 14, 2001... told I was too old...by one year. Dang It
Semper Fi

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 12:47:51 PM »
RSO at the range one day said I shot like a Marine.  I was honored by the compliment (but silently declined it, as I am NOT a great shot). 

But THAT is shooting like a Marine  :o thumb1

Offline Root83

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 01:00:51 PM »
Coyotes there eat very well... to keep the mule deer out of the hay lots in the winter... we had a nuisance permit. Mule Deer bucks will rub their antlers on the hay bales and tear the string off them, causing the stacks to collapse... I'd catch deer in there.. shoot one or two every week when snow was on... Coyotes come.. as long as there were coyotes eating a dead deer in the stack yard, the rest of the deer would stay away.  groups of coyotes will take down live deer in the winter.. I've counted over 300 deer at one time eating the alfalfa in that hay field behind the house.. they eat circles right to the ground and kill the roots... we hate em up there.. We have lots of what we call Flying Coyotes up there too....Bald and Golden Eagles... we dont shoot them.. only Indians are allowed to do that...one a year. We have a lot of Osprey's up there too.. they catch fish in the river... downside... they build nests on top of the power poles...then it rains and sometimes there is a pretty spectacular fire on top of the pole.... and the power goes out.
Semper Fi

Offline Root83

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 01:08:23 PM »
Thanks for the complement ... my eyes arent what they used to be.. but they say.. Once A Marine...Always A Marine... the training never really leaves you... it just kinda happens automatic like...you don't even think about it really. I used to be better...my range scores back in the day averaged 223 out of 225 points possible ... but I was 23 then and I shot almost every day or two.... gawd... the ammo uncle sam bought for me to practice with... I'd hate to think I'd have to buy it....
Semper Fi

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »
 :o Man what a shot! I almost let my .270 go.... Now while I may never be able to accomplish such a shot...makes me feel good about deciding to keep the .270. 'course in the Mtns I live in....even if you back up against the fence post and shoot through the trees and debate if you should shoot across the road and.....Well lets just say your lucky if you can find a spot to line anything up at 100 yds.  rofl
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Root83

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 10:17:48 PM »
Unfortunately, I was hunting extreme long range prairie dogs with that 270 a spring or two later with a buddy..using V Max bullets... he watched me hit a couple dogs with it... watching them lift about 20-30 feet in the air in a red blur.. and when we stepped off the distance later that day and saw there was nothing left of the dogs but the tattered hide... he had to have the rifle and I let him buy it... with the nice Nikon Monarch on it... Now I wish I hadn't...

Up on the Highline... he who had the longest ranged hits, was treated to a case of beer by the lowest count shooter... there were a few of us that drank free on Saturday and Sunday outings. I used to have guys come to the ranch from places like Michigan farther east, who wanted to pay me to take em Prairie Dog and Gopher hunting... hell I was glad to have the help and the ranch paid for my powder and lead... it only takes one family of Gophers  ( Richardson Ground Squirrel ) about 4 or 5 years to totally ruin a 100 acre wheat or alfalfa field.. they multiply that fast and dig that many holes.
Semper Fi