Author Topic: What do you lube/oil on your SKS?  (Read 10009 times)

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
What do you lube/oil on your SKS?
« on: June 26, 2015, 04:39:32 PM »
I'm kind of curious what parts everyone oils and/or lubricates on their SKSs? And what products do you use?

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: What do you lube/oil on your SKS?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 09:41:07 PM »
Bore... Hoppes 9
Action... Lucas gun oil
Everything else....  Synthetic motor oil
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:59:44 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 10:04:15 PM »
Bore... Hoppes 9
Action... Lucas gun oil
Everything else....  Synthetic motor oil

Thanks LC...what actual parts do you lube? I've started using a very light film of white grease on the bolt and carrier slide channels, and then a light coat of RemOil on most other parts.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 09:30:52 AM »
Everything metal. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline reloader762

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 07:04:56 AM »
A good article on grease and oils for firearms GrantCunningham.com - Library

My personal preference is ATF fluid for oil.  For grease I use an aluminium complex food grade grease.  A quart of ATF and a tube of grease is pretty much a lifetime supply.

For bore and a general purpose cleaner I use Ed Red I make myself. I made up a gallon a few years ago and gave half away to friends,it goes a long way.

Homemade firearm products.
Homemade Firearm Related Products

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »
The good 'ol commie lube job special, a little engine oil, maybe a thin dab of grease.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »
I kinda meant what parts do you lube and grease :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 11:58:58 AM »
Geeze, ok, I dont lube the gas piston, the inside of the tube and gas block gets a very thin coat, borderline dry. The bolt area, nothing on the firing pin or the pin channel. Everything else is fair game to lube. The carrier slide and trigger parts is all I grease, just a dab, everything else, oil.

If by chance it's gonna sit, which is typical anymore, I slob'er up, in the way of a slightly heavier coating, lightly greasing more internal parts, gas system etc., this way I'm forced to clean and remove the excess lube before firing.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:46:57 PM by Greasemonkey »

Offline reloader762

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 07:03:27 PM »
If it moves I oil it if it rubs I grease it.  The only two places on the SKS that I don't lube are the gas tube and the firing pin.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 11:18:55 PM »
If it moves I oil it if it rubs I grease it.  The only two places on the SKS that I don't lube are the gas tube and the firing pin.

If it's moving, would it not be rubbing something somewhere at sometime, somehow.. chuckles1

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 01:01:01 AM »
Why doesn't anyone lube the piston and tube?  Is there some fear of easy carbon removal, or is the idea to purposely seal up the system with carbon requiring a hammer and chisel to remove later?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 04:10:19 AM »
I just use a shotgun brass bristle brush, dipped in engine oil, run it up in there a few times, swab it out, done. No build up in my tube"s", piston works slicker than snail snot. Same method I use on my Ak's. Takes all of maybe, 30 seconds to scrub, maybe 2 minutes to swab it out.

I got brave once, tried foaming bore cleaner in the gas tube, even after that, there was no difference seen once cleaned.

Besides, who wants nasty black oil blown out over everything in the first few shots.  I've always heard of a chance of a flame out or over pressurize the gas system with certain lubes, given the gas tube has high pressure hot gases in it when.fired. Never seen it happen, but apply enough heat and pressure to a flammable liquid/oil, it could possibly cause an issue.  I need a junker to test the theroy on thumb1

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 07:26:01 AM »
Battleborn grease on the slide rails, bolt, and carrier. 3 in 1 Teflon oil on trigger engagement surfaces just one tiny drop on where they engage. Nothing on the gas tube or op rod. Sometimes I'll squirt a little alg go juice in the action if it gets a little crunchy while shooting.

For cleaning hoppes 9 for the barrel and either lps1 or ballistol to clean all other parts. I like lps 2 as a lube to but I mostly use it on my shotguns actions.

Offline Chase the fizz

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 05:17:51 PM »
Same as all of my firearms, high friction areas get high temp axle/bearing grease and low friction gets ballistol.
Most animals are cute and cuddly, until backed into a corner. Then the REAL animal comes out.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 10:52:32 PM »
I have been testing out Frog Lube... it seems to work pretty good at this point. Need to shoot enough to get it hot and see what it does.
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 03:31:08 PM »
Reconstituted hydrated reverse osmosis opossum rump fat treated with mystical unicorn farts is an awesome lube. rofl2 chuckles1

Naw..  nea1

Engine oil suits me.. but, hey I've been a truck mechanic for 30 years and counting... oils, lubes and greases are right up my alley.....so just my thoughts.... :o   until these magical gun oils can withstand a million miles in a 550 Cummins or a 600 Caterpillar, lugging 80,000 to 120,000 pounds of logs, coal, dirt/gravel, tampons or what ever through the mountains, one would be hard pressed to find a harsher environment for lubrication than in an internal combustion engine. I've seen exhaust manifolds and turbos glow, not many weapons will ever get glowing hot and live, yet these engines/turbos can do it on a regular basis. Figure a truck turbo is spinning in excess of 75,000 rpm when under load and can see temps in excess of 1,300 degrees, it's everyday, every haul, day in, day out, and engine oil lubes it. Not to mention it deals with the acids produced from combustion, the detergents to keep it clean and extreme pressure additives, and anti-corrosion inhibitors, just think, how much water vapor an engine sucks in on a rainy or foggy day/night, yet they still don't rust up internally.

I figure if Delo 400 or Rotella is good enough for a $25,000+ heavy truck engine overhaul that will last another million+ miles, then it should be good enough for a $250 SKS. :)   

Offline RatedZ

• FFL / SOT
  • Cadet
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 05:54:08 PM »
Holy thread necro Batman!!

Lol.   I get this question a lot at my shop.

My standard answer is "whatever they give me free".  Athough if I were buying it, it would be a tie between VTAC and Amsoil.   Both products are phenominal with little or no prep before.   

Froglube gets an honorable mention, but for the effort required on the initial application they can keep it.   (Apply, heat to cure, etc.   major pita i think)
Tri Cities Gun Depot
Elizabethton, TN USA