Author Topic: Norinco Pre-'89 ban Type 84s-3a AKM in 5.56x45 or...1 lucky SOB ( Pic Heavy)  (Read 8604 times)

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
I aint gonna lie...I was very lucky to come across this neat variant of Chinese AK in the wild. After some research I'm confident in calling this an uncommon model of 84s and of chinese akm's in general.

I've found a lil info about it and as always if you have anything to add or correct...feel free to chime in.  thumb1

So far the  documented pics I've found have all been within the 4000 s/n range except for 1 that was 5038. Its a /66\ and the quality.... :P Fit and finish is fantastic. Everything just feels tight and solid. All matching s/n and all original, as imported. The furniture is Black Bakelite and the buttstock is a full 1 1/2" longer than a standard akm. The threaded barrel sports a birdcage flash hider. The grip is different as well, its a 1919 style grip and to be honest it fits great in the hand. ( I do believe these differences were aimed at an AR loving USA market  :)))

Stamped receiver and barrel thickness of a standard 7.62. ( makes for a bit of a heavy barrel  :)) I'll add a pic of the threaded muzzle later.) It has a spring loaded FP. The front sight sports a full globe rather than the 1/2 cut. It has a stock double hook trigger that is just sweet. ( till now I thought my amd-65 with a Tapco G2 was the sweetest AK trigger I'd felt but now..... :))

Well enough of my jibber-jabber I'm sure there's more but we can add that later. I joked with GM about this being NSFW  ( insert crude tube sock joke here) rofl If yall wanna see any internals or other pics just holler. Enjoy! cuz I sure am.

With a slightly modified Polish Beryl mag

With a slightly modded ((10)) 20 rd 5.56 mag

Vented gas tube and  bayo lug. front sling attachment Isint built into the gas block

Gonna add some comparison pics with my most classic looking AKM my WASR 10, in a reply ( better stop now before smoke starts rolling out the back of my comp  :)))

Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Told ya those Chinese double hookers were sweet.. thumb1

And your a dog  bat1 ..and as you say..a lucky SOB  thumb1 drool2 drool2  that don't happen often  chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
It will fit a standard 7.62 brake also

A comparison between a 2007 import Wasr 10

As far as I've found so far, These were imported early in '89 before the ban and numbers imported were low. Take that with a grain of salt but Its definitely the only 1 I've come across  :)

Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Told ya those Chinese double hookers were sweet.. thumb1

And your a dog  bat1 ..and as you say..a lucky SOB  thumb1 drool2 drool2  that don't happen often  chuckles1

You weren't kidding....Smoothest AK trigger I've ever felt. Little creep and clean break and no AK trigger slap to speak of.

I'm definitely not gonna deny being a lucky SOB. While I REALLY Love my 7.62x39, This 5.56 has earned a spot for life.  thumb1 I shot it some testing the ((10)) mag and the rumors of its accuracy are most definitely based in fact. This thing is a tack driver. Bonus is it slings shells a good 20'-25' away and within a sq ft spot ( wait...is that a bonus?  rofl) Thinking next time I shoot it, I'm gonna set up 2 targets...1 for bullets and 1 for shells  rofl

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
My Mak90s kind of made me overly critical of others, especially European Aks. One reason I've never bought the Romy, the Yugo, or any others. Now another Mak or NDM or something like the Type 84 series pops up, I'd be all over it..if'en I had the $$$$  chuckles1   I do have the PSL, Saiga 12 and 410, but those are more speciality AK variants.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
I really want a PSL  drool2 I got a Saiga 12 the 1st year they were imported and like a total moron...sold it  cry1 That sucker was fun though.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
Oh yeah Hippie...I like that, she's cooler than a popsicle!

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
I aint gonna lie...I was very lucky to come across this neat variant of Chinese AK in the wild. After some research I'm confident in calling this an uncommon model of 84s and of chinese akm's in general.

I've found a lil info about it and as always if you have anything to add or correct...feel free to chime in.  thumb1

So far the  documented pics I've found have all been within the 4000 s/n range except for 1 that was 5038. Its a /66\ and the quality.... :P Fit and finish is fantastic. Everything just feels tight and solid. All matching s/n and all original, as imported. The furniture is Black Bakelite and the buttstock is a full 1 1/2" longer than a standard akm. The threaded barrel sports a birdcage flash hider. The grip is different as well, its a 1919 style grip and to be honest it fits great in the hand. ( I do believe these differences were aimed at an AR loving USA market  :)))

Stamped receiver and barrel thickness of a standard 7.62. ( makes for a bit of a heavy barrel  :)) I'll add a pic of the threaded muzzle later.) It has a spring loaded FP. The front sight sports a full globe rather than the 1/2 cut. It has a stock double hook trigger that is just sweet. ( till now I thought my amd-65 with a Tapco G2 was the sweetest AK trigger I'd felt but now..... :))

Well enough of my jibber-jabber I'm sure there's more but we can add that later. I joked with GM about this being NSFW  ( insert crude tube sock joke here) rofl If yall wanna see any internals or other pics just holler. Enjoy! cuz I sure am.

With a slightly modified Polish Beryl mag

With a slightly modded ((10)) 20 rd 5.56 mag

Vented gas tube and  bayo lug. front sling attachment Isint built into the gas block

Gonna add some comparison pics with my most classic looking AKM my WASR 10, in a reply ( better stop now before smoke starts rolling out the back of my comp  :)))

I hate .223 with a passion and I especially hate .223 ak's. But I will say it's a nice specimen. Is it a polytech? That's polytech furniture it has on it. Be careful with that butt stock they are fragile as hell. I bought one to put on my Mac 90 and accidentally dropped it from 1 foot onto laminate hard wood flooring and it busted into a million pieces. They are hollow inside!

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman

I hate .223 with a passion and I especially hate .223 ak's. But I will say it's a nice specimen. Is it a polytech? That's polytech furniture it has on it. Be careful with that butt stock they are fragile as hell. I bought one to put on my Mac 90 and accidentally dropped it from 1 foot onto laminate hard wood flooring and it busted into a million pieces. They are hollow inside!

Its not a polytech, its a Norinco 84s-3a. The furniture isn't Polytech either, It's as-imported original Black Bakelite. the butt stock is a solid,1 piece formed block of bakelite with a hole drilled in for the cleaning kit. Heavy as all get out and honestly will probably outlive most wood stocks. I'm not a big fan of the black plastic look or feel but honestly once you have this type in your hands....You can really feel the difference.

I know the NOS poly black furniture your probably speaking about and it is a plastic stock but not the same as this 1.  1 or the other were more than likely patterned after each other though, as they are both the longer type IIRC.

I will admit an AK  in .223/5.56 was not on my radar but now that I've shot 1....I am very impressed  thumb1 When I get a chance I'm gonna do a range report between a few 7.62x39 AKMs and this 1. 7.62x39 has always been my favorite and my go to and I hope they do well but I wont be surprised if this puppy edges 'em out. Doesn't mean I'm gonna switch over to .223 but I'll give it a lil more of a look see than before.  :))

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman

Its not a polytech, its a Norinco 84s-3a. The furniture isn't Polytech either, It's as-imported original Black Bakelite. the butt stock is a solid,1 piece formed block of bakelite with a hole drilled in for the cleaning kit. Heavy as all get out and honestly will probably outlive most wood stocks. I'm not a big fan of the black plastic look or feel but honestly once you have this type in your hands....You can really feel the difference.

I know the NOS poly black furniture your probably speaking about and it is a plastic stock but not the same as this 1.  1 or the other were more than likely patterned after each other though, as they are both the longer type IIRC.

I will admit an AK  in .223/5.56 was not on my radar but now that I've shot 1....I am very impressed  thumb1 When I get a chance I'm gonna do a range report between a few 7.62x39 AKMs and this 1. 7.62x39 has always been my favorite and my go to and I hope they do well but I wont be surprised if this puppy edges 'em out. Doesn't mean I'm gonna switch over to .223 but I'll give it a lil more of a look see than before.  :))

Yeah .223 will probably be slightly more accurate than a x39

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Hey Armed, just a heads up. That yellow box Norinco 223 that says "non corrosive" on it, they lied big time! I had a few cases of it way back when it came out. That stuff will eat threw a chrome lined bore like straight up BP. Just be warned, fire one round and if you don't clean the crap out of every thing that touched gas, you will be sorry you ever dropped a hammer on that s***.
  Nice gun tho.... I saw some issues with bolt pick up of cartridges in crossover guns in the past. Basicaly due to the inherited loose bolt head in the carrier (no prob with big x39's). If the bolt head happens to "swim" up when its supposed to pic up a tiny rim edge, you get the occasional FTF. I'm sure the later dedicated unit like yours must have tighter spec. Just watch any new mags you might pick up that they seat all the way up under the bolt. Good Luck with it.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Nice score AH!  thumb1

That barrel sure looks like it has thick walls at the muzzle. I guess taking a barrel blank made for .310 (7.87mm) lands and boring it out to just .223 (5.69mm) lands makes for a bull barrel.