Author Topic: 1950 SKS with spike bayonet  (Read 79114 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: 1950 SKS with spike bayonet
« Reply #280 on: January 19, 2018, 11:52:09 PM »
That many replacement parts, heck it could be a 51.   rofl

Looks good though... Nice carbine.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #281 on: January 20, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »
Justin-Hell, Very observant on bayonet sag. Not sure what caused it. Also magazine is pinned in a different manner. I added pictures of both.

https://ibb.co/album/kdbeLa

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2018, 01:45:23 PM »
L-C The only part that I could say for sure that was replaced at refurb. was the latch for gas tube. What happened to the S/Ns I couldn't say. Take a close look at the S/N on the bolt and receiver cover and give your opinion.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #283 on: January 21, 2018, 09:29:46 AM »
Justin-Hell, Very observant on bayonet sag. Not sure what caused it. Also magazine is pinned in a different manner. I added pictures of both.

https://ibb.co/album/kdbeLa

Interesting, it appears to have the correct straight eared bayonet handle and lug, but something looks off about that lug...I can't put my finger on what.  The bayonet has been removed at some point, the stake marks are off.  Does it actually lock up tight or does it have some play in it when it is 'closed'?

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #284 on: January 21, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
I took the bayonet off to see if there was anything worn or different about blade. It does not lock up tight when closed as you noticed in picture.

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »
Perhaps it is something as simple as a weak spring?

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2018, 02:33:25 PM »
Think that I have a solution after tinkering on it. The lug is worn down although it doesn't show and is blued. I put a nail file between the bayonet handle and lug (sloped area) and it sat okay in V. Spring is still in good condition. One other thing that I noticed is that the blade is narrower. I took measurements from the tip of blade to 6 inches down.
This 50   - 20.85 mm
other 50 - 22.97 mm
         53 - 22.85 mm
         57 - 22.97 mm
But on my 52 it is 20.6 mm and 54 was 20.94. Would this indicate that 2 widths of blades were made? Couldn't find any indication online about blade widths. Suggestions??
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:12:50 PM by jstin2 »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #287 on: February 02, 2018, 06:44:20 PM »
Today on CGN there is a 49 SKS for sale. The trigger and magazine is non matching and stock has been replaced with a later stock, plus the stock ferrule has also been replaced (top pinned). It still retains a spike bayonet. Serial number is EM 1355. Doesn't help my cause but posted anyway.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #288 on: February 02, 2018, 08:06:02 PM »
How do  you know the ferrule is a replacement and not original to a late 49?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #289 on: February 02, 2018, 08:26:23 PM »
It looks like the ferrule has a V notch. And I would think that with a spike bayonet, it would not need it. I only noticed the pin placement at first and then looking closer it looks like it was V notched.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2018, 08:39:54 PM »
Any chance of getting some photos posted of it jstin2?  CGN doesn't typically grant access to the EE of US members since we can't typically (legally) buy firearms from Canada anyhow.

Is it possible that the stock ferrule is original and the bayo is a replacement on this gun?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2018, 09:38:54 PM »
Those zany Russians....  Anything goes with a refurb.

How do we not know late 49s didn't come......  With a blade?

My suggestion to prove your carbine is a 1950 that originally came with a spike bayo....  Find and bring us one that is an as-issued or otherwise non-refurbished specimen. 

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2018, 09:51:32 PM »
I have sent a message asking if he could either post pictures on this site or email me the pictures and I could post. I am not going to repost other peoples pictures without permission. As far as the stock ferrule being original, I defer it to the experts. Take a good look at the pictures. At refurb you would think that if you were going to replace stock that you would replace stock ferrule or shave down stock to fit stock ferrule, but wouldn't you also replace the 90 degree gas port? But then again who knows what happens at refurb. My motto  - live and learn. Who knows what we find out next. Example - cleaning rod nubs. As I have mentioned before that I have a heavy refurbed 49 and that it has a blade, V notched ferrule and a 45 degree gas port.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2018, 10:00:40 PM »
At refurb you would think that if you were going to replace stock that you would replace stock ferrule

Was your ferrule replaced when they replaced the stock?   

You would think alot of things, but unfortunately that doesn't make them true.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2018, 10:12:01 PM »
Loose - Cannon, I hope that one day there will be another 50 with spike posted. It may take a week, month, year or 5 years. I feel that my 50 is a starting point and if another one is posted, then maybe there will be less criticism. I cannot fault your criticism by there being only one documented with pictures. Other people have stated a 50 with spike but have no pictures. This is a learning process with the SKS and as we noticed with the revelation about the changing of the cleaning rod nub in 49.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:48:36 PM by jstin2 »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #295 on: February 02, 2018, 10:18:17 PM »
Do you have the cleaning rod nubs?

Im not sure it was a "revelation" persay, I remember it being covered on another board many moons ago, but little things of this nature are often lost or forgotten in the swamp.   

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #296 on: February 02, 2018, 10:20:56 PM »
Now about my 50. If at refurb they were going to replace stock, why replace it with a tapered down stock and not a later stock. Why change stock ferrule so that it could fit tapered down stock. Doesn't make sense.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »
 SKS post nubs. On this post, reply 166. Jan 12th 2018. This is all that I know.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:34:57 PM by jstin2 »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2018, 10:49:26 PM »
I received some pictures but it didn't show stock, bayonet and stock ferrule. Asked for more.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #299 on: February 03, 2018, 12:15:45 AM »
Don't get much later then a laminated stock.