Author Topic: M1917 Eddystone that Served with the R.C.E.  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
M1917 Eddystone that Served with the R.C.E.
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:24:31 PM »
I picked up this M1917 at an auction three weeks ago and it just arrived today. I usually avoid import stamped American military firearms but the markings on the stock of this one enticed me.

80,000 M1917s were sent to Canada in early WWII.  The majority served on the home front as the Canadian military's primary small arms caliber was .303. In the early 50's many of these retired M1917s were sent to Denmark. This is the likely route for this rifle from where it was imported into the US in the early 2000's.

This example has a CDI Swan Vermont import mark, a SN on the bottom of the bolt handle (not found on M1917s used exclusively in US or Canadian service) and a Danish canvas sling from the 50's, which are all features characteristic of it having seen Danish service, from what I've learned. It retains a (0.105" wide) front sight blade as opposed to a Danish replacement post site.

The June 1918 barrel date and serial number on the receiver are in the expected range for them to be the original barreled action. Most of the parts are marked with an E except the lower barrel band with an R and the stock nose with a W. The bore and rifling are very good. The walnut stock has rather nice figuring with a few dings but it's very sound.

The markings that intrigue me are the Canadian broad arrow that shows it was accepted into Canadian service, and the 16 R.C.E. over a rack number of 7. I believe the most likely explanation for this is that the 16th Field Company of the Royal Canadian Engineers used this rifle. The 16th RCE were attached to the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division that went ashore at Juno Beach in June 1944. If true, this is a great piece of history. However, I'm not certain of this, the R.C.E. mark is consistent with this hypothesis but not conclusive. I'm open to other opinions.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the pictures.

US Property "flaming bomb" marks

DANISH SERVICE INDICATIONS

CANADIAN MARKINGS

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: M1917 Eddystone that Served with the R.C.E.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 11:25:59 PM »
Pretty awesome man....   Amazing you are able to gain that much knowledge about an individual rifle.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 12:03:51 AM »
Very nice Jon. A 1917 is definitely on my short list of American arms I will one day have.  thumb1

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 12:25:14 PM »
It's almost unheard of in American Arms collecting to be able to tie a particular gun to a particular campaign/battle.  But I think it is a great possibility that this rifle was carried across the sands of Juno Beach - maybe not during the direct assault, but certainly with the engineers who would be needed for crucial construction/transportation logistics.

I recently picked up a Canadian marked M1917 as well.  But it hardly shows the potential history as the one above, as it has no marks other than the Canadian Arrow.  Mine is also crap in condition comparison.

Excellent acquisition!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 03:56:46 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I'm very happy with it.  It's definitely very gratifying to be able to attach a plausible (even if not certain) historical use to this specimen  :)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 02:40:21 AM »
Whoa, I missed this one. Very cool acquisition, quite the time capsule.  Congrats!
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 06:24:43 PM »
Whoa, I missed this one. Very cool acquisition, quite the time capsule.  Congrats!

Thanks man!  The consensus of others (including a couple of Canadians) was that a rifle chambered in .30-06 is unlikely to have been used in a combat zone, more likely for training. Regardless, the 16th RCE did go ashore at Juno, whether with these rifles or not.  I've got a query into the Canadian Engineers Military Museum in New Brunswick to look into M1917 usage. They actually emailed back to say they would see what they could find. Hopefully the curator enjoys digging through photos and files. I'll just have to be patient.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 08:55:15 PM »
I've got a query into the Canadian Engineers Military Museum in New Brunswick to look into M1917 usage. They actually emailed back to say they would see what they could find. Hopefully the curator enjoys digging through photos and files. I'll just have to be patient.

Man, to do that and actually get paid for it?!?  Dream job!  dance2