Author Topic: Thought you all might like to see my Mossberg 500 home defense shotgun!  (Read 8313 times)

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
I thought y'all might like to see my Mossberg 500 home defense shotgun. This gun started out as a 28" ported barrel with vent rib. I sold that barrel to transform this shotgun into a practical home defense weapon.

Parts list
18.5" barrel with front sight silver soldered on and rear ghost ring this was sold as a package deal through Mossberg. I don't think they sell it anymore but it was part 95303.
John Masen polymer heat shield
Choate machine and tool 02-02-06 short polymer for end for 6 3/4 action tubes.
Tacstar 6 shell side saddle
Vang comp systems metal safety
Hogue od green ar 15 overmold grip
Mesa tactical Leo stock and adapter with enidine hydraulic recoil buffer
Limbsaver m4 buttpad
Grovtec quick release sling swivel
Quake industries "The Claw" od green sling
Od green cerakote paint job by Jim Ruiz at Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville TN.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Pretty crazy setup...  that heat sheild is interesting.   :)       I have an 870 I wouldn't mind putting an 18.5" barrel on and an extended mag tube.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Pretty crazy setup...  that heat sheild is interesting.   :)       I have an 870 I wouldn't mind putting an 18.5" barrel on and an extended mag tube.

The polymer heat shield does a better job than metal heat shields at dissipating heat after shooting a lot of rounds. With the mesa tactical and hydraulic recoil buffer with limbsaver buttpad regular 12 gauge loads are more like shooting a .308 it really dampens it that much! That setup with low recoil law enforcement buck is literally like shooting a .22. I've not tried slugs in it yet.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
I like the Mossberg over the Remington better because it is lighter and has dual extractors. We used to use 870s at work but now we use Mossberg 500s with pistol grips.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Lol went to the range to requalify for work and both 870s had the extractors break!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
That's bad to the bone tn!

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
That's bad to the bone tn!

I got an excellent deal on that stock. They are normally about 350.00 shipped and tax. Dude that had it some how cracked the buffer tube adapter. Anyways I offered him 150 and he took it. I called mesa tactical and used their lifetime warranty and got a new adapter for free.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
I thought about a rifled barrel for slugs.  I figured I can shoot shot loads also through it and not worry about the spread group.   :P

Ever done this?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
I thought about a rifled barrel for slugs.  I figured I can shoot shot loads also through it and not worry about the spread group.   :P

Ever done this?

No,

I think foster slugs can be shot through a smooth bore but other rifled type slugs can't!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
I love my #4 buckshot. The idea of twenty one .24 cal lead balls coming out of a 30 inch full choke at over 1300 fps appeals to me! Now that should make a mess down range.

No telling how bad it would be coming out of that Mossberg!

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Re: Thought you all might like to see my Mossberg 500 home defense shotgun!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 05:59:34 AM »
In my opinion number 4 is weak. I use the 9 pellet 00 buck. #1 buck is a close second as far as self defense ammo goes!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:23:37 PM by sksmcrossvilletn »

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 11:42:26 AM »
I would agree that inside the average home the type buckshot is academic, any of them would make for a bad day for an intruder! I was thinking more of outside use and my 30 inch full choke will put more in a given target at further range than the "00".

With my eyes and shooting I need all the help I can get!

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 06:25:27 PM »
Quote from: Dannyboy53 l

topic=940.msg11674#msg11674 date=1426261346
I would agree that inside the average home the type buckshot is academic, any of them would make for a bad day for an intruder! I was thinking more of outside use and my 30 inch full choke will put more in a given target at further range than the "00".

With my eyes and shooting I need all the help I can get!

At work we use #4. We have to ricochet shoot with the shotgun can't shoot em center mass. Hip firing @12 gauge five times sucks.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 06:32:53 PM »
Yeah, five loads of buckshot is a real punisher! We used the skip shooting technique also. The laws of physics are amazing, the shot flattens out and stays a certain distance off the ground. Same with pistol/rifle rounds along a wall.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 04:04:21 PM »
Yeah, five loads of buckshot is a real punisher! We used the skip shooting technique also. The laws of physics are amazing, the shot flattens out and stays a certain distance off the ground. Same with pistol/rifle rounds along a wall.

We do five ricochet shots in a sweeping pattern left to right or right to left. Then five ricochet shots from the hip same way.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
It's a quick method of using a lethal round in a non-lethal manner. The shot flattens out when it hits pavement and loses a lot of velocity. Causes mostly superficial but painful wounds

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »
[quotor=Dannyboy53 link=topic=940.msg11721#msg11721 date=1426363866]
It's a quick method of using a lethal round in a non-lethal manner. The shot flattens out when it hits pavement and loses a lot of velocity. Causes mostly superficial but painful wounds
[/quote]

Yup!