Author Topic: Q: What options are there for my bound book?  (Read 7642 times)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Q: What options are there for my bound book?
« on: January 13, 2015, 01:09:26 PM »
Disclaimer: SKS-files.com is not composed of legal experts, we do our absolute best to make sure that what we post here is accurate, thorough, and factually based.  Still, it is the epitome of foolishness to listen to “a guy on the internet” as your sole basis for legal advice.  If you have specific questions about this subject, you should consult appropriate legal council who specialize in firearms law or contact the ATF directly to obtain a formal determination about your particular firearm or issue.

A C&R FFL03 licensee is required to keep a bound book per 27 CFR §478.125(f).  Specifically, the following information shown in the following example must be kept.

For firearms:

For Armor piercing ammunition:

Most collectors purchase professionally prepared bound books offered for sale around the web.  Books with good reviews are:
BookFactory® Leather C&R FFL 03 Bound Book
Firearms Acquisition and Disposition Record Book
CURIO & RELIC COLLECTOR

In reality, you don't need a fancy leather clad 'bound' book.  Per the ATF, an orderly collection of loose leaf pages is sufficient.   I like to use this simple format PDF, printed on standard 8.5" x 11" letter size paper in a three ring binder.  It contains all the information necessary to record your acquisitions / dispositions and the fields are large enough to record all the pertinent information.

An example bound book page with a few entries might look something like this:

Note that per ATF Ruling 2013-5, computerized records are now allowed as long as the conditions of the ATF ruling are met.  There are various computerized bound book programs for sale on the web, most are quite expensive, however.  Fastbound appears to have a version available for free to individual collectors who have less than 100 items and want to maintain a computerized record.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:22:22 PM by running-man »

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
Re: Q: What options are there for my bound book?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »
My LGS had a bunch of extra ones. He gets them from one of his distributors periodically. He gave me one since I do all of his SKS work for him. He tosses me goodies from time to time (some .22 ammo, a nice camo hat, the bound book, etc). Maybe ask your LGS, they may have an extra one you can have.
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 03:39:06 PM »
Good point Carl!  I always forget about freebies from LGS as I hardly ever frequent them.  thumb1

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »
Good informative post. I have no guns that qualify for c&r although I have a c&r license! Therefore, I keep my guns listed in a computer data base. I will probably buy a bound book when I finally use my c&r to actually buy firearms!

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »
Just dropped by to print out some more of these bound book papers. Thanks RM, they're perfect.
I don't appreciate you letting everyone know I live in Hicktown, though. It's a violation of my privacy.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 06:38:02 PM »
 Just thought I would add to this with the pages I made up back when I was a C&R guy. I hated the tiny address box in most of the pages I found since I don't write tiny very well. Heres what I whipped up.
Cover page