Author Topic: Back in the Arisaka game with a sweet old T99  (Read 5823 times)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
Back in the Arisaka game with a sweet old T99
« on: December 08, 2016, 05:05:48 PM »
Arisakas have been on my radar lately, so I was giddy to find this little gem in a pawn shop, snuggled up next to some sporterized Mosins in a spinning rack. Type 99, 21 series from the Kokura arsenal. All accoutremonts like bipod and antiaircraft sights are gone, the flower is wiped. The bolt is matching and the bayonet lug is unnumbered, which seems to be an anomaly for this arsenal and series.

It's been so long since I've handled an Arisaka that I was pleasantly surprised with some of its forgotten quirks- the drain in the stock, the extended reinforcement behind the trigger guard, and the cool kanji inspections on the heel and grasping groove. I'd even forgotten that these guns are a cock on close design.

The signature orangey Arisaka shellac is what sold me on the gun, it's visually striking. It's been a blast delving into Arisaka trivia again. I have some 7.7 ammo en route, can't wait to see how the rifle performs on the line, hopefully this dog can hunt!

"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Back in the Arisaka game with a sweet old T99
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 05:55:40 PM »
Hey Kevin,

Had you gotten completely out of Arisakas prior to stumbling upon this one? 

No 7.7 on hand, that's got to be a major faux pas on this board yes?!  bat1  Where's P32?!  chuckles1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:32:44 PM »
Looks like a honey  thumb1 The urushi finish and dovetailed buttstock are favorites, as well as the interesting sheltered firing pin. Definitely unique firearms

No 7.7 on hand, that's got to be a major faux pas on this board yes?!  bat1  Where's P32?!  chuckles1

Indeed, how can you let your stocks of $2 per round Japanese 7.7x58 ammo get low  :))

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:16:30 PM »
Gah is it that what it costs nowadays?  I guess it could be $3 / round .50 BMG.   

Range report Kevin!  How accurate are these?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »
Only $2 a round?   Bah....  I wanna see a rapid fire spam-can stress-test. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 11:23:33 AM »
Gah is it that what it costs nowadays?  I guess it could be $3 / round .50 BMG.   

Range report Kevin!  How accurate are these?

That was a haggling point with the pawnmeister. "Come on, man, a box of ammo costs more than the flippin' rifle. Nobody in depressed Appalachia is going to pay $275 for a dead weight Japanese wall hanger in a defunct caliber" or something to that effect.

I've never been blown away by any of my Arisakas' accuracy. To the contrary, a good friend of mine has one of those Aricano/Carcasaka Type I rifles that he shoots the lights out with, it's his competition gun. That's quite the endorsement, considering the dude owns every rifle ever invented.
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."

-LooseCannon

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 11:27:26 AM »
Only $2 a round?   Bah....  I wanna see a rapid fire spam-can stress-test.

Your NK SKS vs. my Type 99. Double charges, the grilled cheese test, running over them with your big rig, which Far East rifle can survive?
-Ramcke

-Ty O

-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 08:42:28 PM »
 rofl

Woh woh woh cowboy...  Lets make the test with an even dollar amount.  How many lugers can fit under a big tire?   :P

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.