Author Topic: I wanted to try something.....different  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
I wanted to try something.....different
« on: May 17, 2017, 02:54:13 PM »
Every really popular handgun has something unique.. you got the 1911..the most popular, the Luger...the most historic....the Glock..the original tupperware gun...the Beretta....John McClains and the militarys choice..   Ok...check.. have at least one of each of them.. thumb1

Then you have this...the Desert Eagle, American ingenuity, designed by Magnum Research, then refined and built by IMI/IWI in Israel or the U.S. depending on the time frame. Near as I can figure, possibly one of the largest weighing in at 4 pounds 13 ounces loaded(mine minus the scope, an M1 Carbine loaded weighs just a pound more), possibly one of the most powerful semiauto handguns available, the original being the AutoMag. No 45acp, no 9mm, no .40S&W need apply, as these used only the larger magnum cartridges, .357, .41, .44, .440 Corbon and .50AE. They are designed more like a rifle than a handgun, have a gas system much like a M14 or M1 Carbine and a 4 lug rotating locking bolt design like an AR. Due to size and weight, it's a very unconventional for a CCW or home defense weapon. And while not a "historical" weapon, it gets most of it's popularity from film, the same way the S&W 29 did...Agent Smith and The Matrix for example and numerous other films.

This example is the Desert Eagle Mark VII in .44 Mag, I opted for the smaller caliber because I currently have it, and 50AE is pretty pricey. I found this beast buried amongst some really high priced Lugers, like $4K+ Lugers, I even found a 06/24 Swiss Luger with holster at a local shop, just $5000, today, strangely this was way under market value.. It looks to had been used some, but not much judging by the internals. It can be upgraded to the .50AE with a barrel and mag change. Which would take about 2 or 3 minutes. I will post later on and show the inner workings of this beast, which you will see it is a very simple, but a very robust design. The barrel does not tilt or move during firing like other pistols, along with polygonal rifling like a Glock, makes it a very accurate weapon. It is fairly common to find them in silhouette and target shooting, and I guess one could hunt with it.

And as a disclaimer, I found the recoil no worse than my S&W 29, I did have to try it and I did like it thumb1 and if you even think about limp wristing this beast, it lets you know. You need a healthy set of hands for the monster grip, but I had no jams, it functioned great, and if you notice in the picture, the magazine sticks out slightly, thats normal, it's a floating magazine so it fits kind of loose once inserted. It adjusts to where it wants to be, if you molest it during firing, it could cause a misfeed or jam.

Now...I gotta go get it dirty..Again :)  thumb1
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:09:19 PM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Re: I wanted to try something.....different
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »
Nice!   thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:25:27 PM »
As a size comparison, here it is with a 380acp S&W Bodyguard.

After 88 rounds today.. thumb1 here is the insides after a good cleaning. Rotating bolt and locking set up much like an AR.

Here it's totally field stripped, which takes no time. Note the dual, actually 4 recoil springs, dual springs on each side, and the small piece on the recoil springs is the gas piston. It latches on the slide and fits into a port drilled in the bottom of the barrel.

These show the slide w/recoil springs installed and a better shot of the gas system, the gas port and piston installed.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:19:35 PM »
The ultimate bad azz semiauto pistol  thumb1

You must be lying about that .380, that has to be a .25acp pocket pistol  :o  chuckles1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »
 thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 08:49:53 AM »
cool, thanks for sharing.  thumb1 ............... size matters!  :o
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:49:28 AM »
Compensation?    think1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 10:52:45 AM »
Compensation?    think1

Nope, nope, nope, I am not going to comment.   :-\
Oh, heck, I already did!   :(

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 11:32:58 AM »
Compensation?    think1

Don't hate the Ron Jeremy of handguns, it's the best of both worlds, length and girth  :))  Remember...it's not the size, it's how you use it, like it's not how fast you mow, but how well you mow fast.    I like to mow...fast.

And........everybody "compensates" in some form or another, dong grips, fatty mags, muzzle breaks, even other things... rofl

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
Compensation?    think1

Don't hate the Ron Jeremy of handguns, it's the best of both worlds, length and girth  :))  Remember...it's not the size, it's how you use it, like it's not how fast you mow, but how well you mow fast.    I like to mow...fast.

And........everybody "compensates" in some form or another, dong grips, fatty mags, muzzle breaks, even other things... rofl

:o

chuckles1

Darn it!  Now I got to clean my monitor!   >:(   :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »
Last Wednesday I decided to stretch out a little with it, give it some room. Using a reddot on a handgun is a new experience for me and I can say this hand howitzer is far more accurate than I. 

I usually don't post my targets, cause I suck due to lack of practice rofl ....but this was a mags worth, 8 rounds of plain generic Remington 44mag 180gr at 35 yards. I also dug up a box of Horandy XTP 300gr..wow :o that was a hand awakening experience after banging through almost a box of 180gr ammo.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 01:11:57 PM »
I havent shot a handgun in so long I doubt that I could shoot that well.   :(