Author Topic: No4 Mk1 Enfield  (Read 2252 times)

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
No4 Mk1 Enfield
« on: February 25, 2017, 04:34:45 PM »
I was looking for a No1 Mk3 when I stumbled across this guy. 1943 Maltby, bore is really nice. Bolt doesn't match but it is a Maltby bolt. I did't see any FTR stamps on it but part of the date was ground and restamped at some point.

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
Re: No4 Mk1 Enfield
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 12:28:06 AM »
Those are great rifles. Pure work horse with a great feed box that runs stripers slick with the bolt kick out. My son has a Longbranch that I had sold to a friend 30 years ago. Sadly the friend passed away and the gun came back to me so I gave it to my son. He liked it right off the bat until one day he got a chance to ring steel gongs at 400 yards with it. Now he REALLY loves that No.4!  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
Nice!  I'm also a Lee-Enfield fan.  Does it have any markings on the right side of the buttstock, like a DD "broad arrow"?  I'm just trying to figure out that 7? SA mark on the receiver wrist.  Could be South Australia but I would expect the Australian property mark somewhere and perhaps MD4 for Military District 4, aka, South Australia. The 7th MD is the Northern Territory so that doesn't make sense.

Offline jeepguy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »
There isn't any markings on the stock that I could find. The right side of the socket is also devoid of any markings. Under the rear handguard had more stampings, some crowns and a circle 23 IIRC, probably proof and inspection marks.  I didn't see any FTR marks on it anywhere.  I'll get some pics next time I take off the handguard.