Author Topic: SCORE! Mauser Gewehr, fur Reichspost  (Read 5917 times)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
SCORE! Mauser Gewehr, fur Reichspost
« on: May 13, 2015, 06:35:23 PM »
  Here is a dream come recently true for me- a Mauser Banner K, issued to the Deutsche Reichspost, all matching.

The Imperial post was an interesting organization, started during the rise of the German empire in the late 19th century. Aside from transporting mail, they had their hand in communications, tv engineering, scientific endeavors. It's easy for us to think of them as mailmen the way we know them, but one author actually compared them to Wells Fargo of the old west, contracted to protect and deliver valuable shipments between banks, gov organizations, and big businesses. Once Hitler took over in '33, they became armed with the Mauser Standard Model.

This rifle piqued my interest because of the "Brsl" mark in the sling well. That's a unit mark for the Breslau branch of the DRP. Somewhere, someday I may be able to dig up some tidbits on what the Breslau sector was up to in the '30s, but for now it's just a curious & mysterious provenance for me.

Of course, any DRP or Reichsbahn rifle will make someone say "SS gun! Score!" Volume 1 of Karabiner goes out of its way to try and dispel that myth, saying there's no proof of these guns originally meant to clandestinely arm the SS. That's fine with me. But one interesting tidbit to consider is that the growth of the SS was aided by their absorption of the Reichspost in the late '30s.

At any rate, I care none about any SS link. It's just a beautiful rifle- marvelous high polish blue, fired firing pin, unmolested walnut furniture, crisp & interesting markings, just the finest piece of hardware coming out of any arsenal at the time. I'm in love.

"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: SCORE! Mauser Gewehr, fur Reichspost
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 06:46:14 PM »
Nice one Kevin!  thumb1

What's a Mauser like that run on GB these days? (not that it matters to me, I'd be to terrified to pull the trigger on anything like that as you well know).

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 07:11:49 PM »
Another great rifle man....  Poland is trembling with Blicero fear!

thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 10:09:33 PM »
Beautiful...is this the original condition?! Just curious but do you know if all their firing pins were heat treated this way, just seems odd?

Very nice Kevin  clap1

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 11:04:35 PM »
Nice one Kevin!  thumb1

What's a Mauser like that run on GB these days? (not that it matters to me, I'd be to terrified to pull the trigger on anything like that as you well know).

I've only seen one matching DRP sell in a year. Rough condition, brought $1300. I saw one at SoS for $2500. There is a SA issue Banner up right now but it offends my "no duffel cut" policy.

Another great rifle man....  Poland is trembling with Blicero fear!

thumb1

Thanks man. I just had an old hippy handyman in my house. Sharp cat, friend of the family, does good work, but I never took him for a gun guy. He saw me cleaning the bolt, asks me what it is. He looks at the stock and says "Reichspost, very cool." Blew my mind. He said he has a high turret sniper sitting in his safe. That might be the next thread I post...

Beautiful...is this the original condition?!

Oh yeah, don't you know me at all?  chuckles1
It's all unmolested. The firing pins should be like that. I've seen some that aren't though.

One of the things that really threw me while researching the deal was the number on the bolt handle. For all I knew, I thought only the Yugos or South Americans ever stamped numbers there. A quick breeze through the library showed me a bunch of Banners with numbers there.

Fun reading: Deutsche Reichspost History

And some pics that didn't make the cut

"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline ugafx4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 06:14:05 PM »
First time seeing your own photos of the rifle.....looks perfect!