Author Topic: List of Romanian M56 Importers  (Read 7409 times)

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
List of Romanian M56 Importers
« on: January 23, 2016, 11:13:50 AM »
Here is a compilation of all the import stamps I can find on the Romanian M56. 

If you have an Romy import stamp that isn't shown here, please post up a photo and I'll add it here.  thumb1

• CAI #1a, Century International Arms out of Saint Albans, Vermont:
    C.A.I. ST. ALB. VT MDL 56 7.62X39
    CUGIR ROMANIA

Pre November 2000 import based on the St. Albans stamp.  This stamp appears on the right side of the barrel betwen the FSB and the gas block.

• CAI #1b, Century International Arms out of Saint Albans, Vermont:
    MDL 56 7.62X39      CUGIR ROMANIA
                                  C.A.I. ST. ALB. VT

Rehash of CAI #1a above.  It's pretty clear that the individual text lines are all from separate physical stamps that could have been relocated and reordered on the whims of the worker that did the stamping.  These differences don't necessarily point to a separate import batch, though that can't be totally discounted either.  This stamp appears on the right side of the barrel betwen the FSB and the gas block. (image courtesy of Greasemonkey)

• CAI #2, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    M1956 ROMANIA 7.62X39
    C.A.I. GEORGIA VT.

This one is a post Nov. 2000 import based on the Georgia VT stamp.  Additionally, the pin punch / dot matrix style pushes it out to after 2002.  This one is also located on the right side of the barrel between the FSB and the gas block.

• CAI #3, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    C.A.I. GEORGIA,VT.
    MADE IN ROMANIA
    MOD.1956 CAL.7.62X39

Another post 2002 import based on the Georgia VT stamp and the pin punch.  Hard to say the exact order of #2-#4 but this one seems to have more information on it than #2 so I'm assuming it went later.  This one is also located on the right side of the barrel between the FSB and the gas block.

• CAI #4, Century International Arms out of Georgia, Vermont:
    C.A.I. GEORGIA VT
    SKS MDL 56 CAL. 7.62?X39
    MADE IN ROMANIA

Another post 2002 import based on the Georgia VT stamp and the pin punch.  Hard to say the exact order of #2-#4 but this one seems to have even more information on it than #3 with the SKS callout so I'm assuming it went later.  This one is also located on the right side of the barrel between the FSB and the gas block.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:39:00 PM by running-man »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: List of Romanian M56 Importers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 03:08:50 PM »
Same as #1, but spread out and info lines jumbled

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 04:22:37 PM »
Got it GM, thanks!  Early Russian CAI stamps exhibit this exact same pattern of text being identical except for order and placement. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:30:32 PM by running-man »

Offline ozarkmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 02:04:01 PM »
Other than the Year and of course the country, are there any other identifying marks that should match the barrel to the rest of the SKS? Here is (poor) pic of a barrel I'm referring to. The year matches the year on the receiver (1958), although you cannot see it. It was provided to me so I apologize for them. The markings are as follows and in the position they are located on the barrel:
MADE IN ROMANIA                CAI ST ALB VT
MOD 1958 762x39

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 02:22:53 PM »
No, the '58' or '1958' you think you're seeing on the barrel is really a 56 or 1956.  That's the designator of the Romanian SKS: Model 56 or M56. 

Barrels are not tied to the receiver in any way except for a barrel to receiver match number and an indexing line at the barrel lug. 

There will be a number stamped on the bottom of the barrel, it is a barrel lot nuimber or heat treat number and is not tied to any number you'll find on the elsewhere on the gun:

Offline ozarkmac

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 02:47:27 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. The person selling thought it was 58 also. Blind leading the blind. LOL!

How important is it that the barrel and receiver match numbers match? Does it affect performance or just correctness?

Also, what's your opinion on the condition of the exterior of the barrel I sent? I know it's a bad pic.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 03:01:49 PM »
The only thing that really keys a barrel to the receiver is the alignment mark and the digit on each, the barrel is not serialized, the big number on the barrel is a lot or manufacturing number, not a serial. Technically you would never know, they could have stamped a single digit on a new barrel to match it to the receiver.

Most Romanians are mis-matched, at least 90-95% are, from one part to a complete and total mis-match, to find an all matching one is very uncommon. Like I stated, mis-matching is normal, especially the stocks followed by the top covers, the box mag could also be, but usually due to bubba shoving a duck bill in it and losing the box mag.

Condition wise, it looks good, again, this can vary from little to no bluing, almost in the white, to a nice deep dark blackish bluing, like matching numbers, metal condition is all over the place.

My most mismached ugly duck Romanian shoots and functions as good as my matching Romanian thumb1
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 03:08:24 PM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline ozarkmac

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 03:37:04 PM »
Sure appreciate the information. It takes a lot of time and discipline to become knowledgeable with these rifles.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 12:21:31 AM »
Just noticed my 1960 Romy import stamp is a little different. Kinda like GM's difference between his and #1, except a different "jumble".

Sorry about the dark pic. The sun hasn't been out from behind the clouds in a month here.

firstchoice