Author Topic: 20 Round AK Tanker Mags  (Read 7949 times)

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
20 Round AK Tanker Mags
« on: July 31, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
I was sorting through my AK mags the other night and I have a handful of 30 and 40 round mags, and thought I would like to pick up a few 20 rounders. Can someone more knowledgeable educate me in these? Are there any that are better than others, or are they all the same? Anything to look out for when buying them online? What is the current price for these? How much is to much? Anyone have a good online resource for them?
Thanks
 tommy1

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
Re: 20 Round AK Tanker Mags
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 05:17:06 PM »
Hungarian Tanker mags are sought after these days and from what I've read, more pricey than your average 30 rounder. Power Surge has had good things to say about the Korean 20 rounders. ( After checking them out I'd agree, The Korean mags are definitly getting better than when they 1st starting showing up).

This might not help much but...I rarely buy online and enjoy the hunt "in the wild" for most parts and try and get in good with all my LGS's. I noticed my LGS had a Mak-90 and a Wasr 10, both with some nice Hungarian 20's.  I brought in some run of the mill 30's I had under $10 in and We both decided ppl would be more likely to want a 30 with their rifle instead of a 20.

We straight traded my 30's for the Hungarian 20's and after seeing what they wetre going for... I came out ahead.  thumb1 I've done this with a few different parts at a few different places, Never hurts to ask. Like I said , not very helpful but another place to look.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 05:35:44 PM »
Thanks Hippie,
I did find this for Hungarian 20rd that was actually in stock, but wasn't sure if it was good price or not. $27.95 +$10.95 shipping felt a bit steep for an AK mag. 
http://whatacountry.com/hungarian-ak-47-20-round-magazine.aspx
I do see the Korean 20rd in stock at Classic for $7.99.

I will browse a couple of the LGS here in town this weekend, but in the past they are mostly catered to AR's. Some do have AK stuff, but a slim selection, unless your into the tactical stocks and such. 

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 05:50:33 PM »
Ouch...Yeah that's a bit steep but not far off of what I was seeing. When I was researching mine I was seeing them going for as high as $50. Unless I just "had" to have 1 for a collection I'd keep looking. That being said, I've only found 3 in the wild in the past few years. I've got a Hungarian AMD-65 that came with a Tapco 20 and the 1st thing I did was start hunting for the real deal. The Tapco seems fine, I've used it once, just not what I'm into.

Sucks having to wade through all the AR stuff and the tacticool AK an SKS stuff but....People switching their original parts out for the tacticool stuff is how I end up finding a lot of what I do. Ask to look through any random "stuff" boxes LGS's all keep behind the counter. Most of the time they wont bother to put original parts on display but are glad to get rid of them to people like us  thumb1
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 08:29:43 AM »
These usually go for around $100 for a three pack in a Hungarian mag pouch.
I am tempted to go order some Korean 20's... gun show today though...

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 09:54:38 AM »

Oh man!  Hope you see some nice ones out there!  Good luck!  thumb1

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 11:16:49 AM »

Oh man!  Hope you see some nice ones out there!  Good luck!  thumb1

Gun show was so blah, I almost made it out with all of my cash! Two consecutively numbered Anderson AR lowers followed me home though.
I ordered six of the Korean 20s from Classic when I got home... will see how they compare to the sweet Hungarians I have.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »
Thanks guys for the replies. I think I will just order some of the Korean ones from classic, and keep my eyes out for deals on the Hungarian ones. I don't need them enough to drop $30+ per mag. If the $7.99 ones from classic are junk I'm out $8 bucks.

Offline KILLDOZER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 04:17:20 PM »
There was a recent thread about the Korean 20-rounders over on survivalistboards, and the consensus from several guys that that own them was that they were GTG. Fortunately, I grabbed a few of the Hungarians a few years back when they were cheap and plentiful, but I wouldn't pay what they're asking for them now. I'd take a swing at a couple of those Koreans from Classicarms, and come back and give us a range report.

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 03:58:07 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies. I think I will just order some of the Korean ones from classic, and keep my eyes out for deals on the Hungarian ones. I don't need them enough to drop $30+ per mag. If the $7.99 ones from classic are junk I'm out $8 bucks.
Good news, they appear to be pretty decent mags. They lock up pretty tight in the firearms I tried them in, after wearing a bit of paint off of the tab in the back. They have tiny little spot welds and feel slightly thin, but over all look like typical com bloc mags.