Author Topic: Glock 30S  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Glock 30S
« on: January 12, 2018, 02:12:59 PM »
The other week I was looking through the used case at a local haunt.. there were no juicy Gen 2 or Gen 3 stainless S&Ws semis, no Cz's, hoards of M&Ps in many shapes and sizes, a handful of Kimbers, I saw a Beretta or 2, a Taurus something or other and some Hks.. I did sniff around a new Ruger 10mm fresh out of the box in 1911 format, I love some 10mm, but not for that price. :o

So, I looked some more, soaking up their heat cause it was blue arse cold, and I what did I spy with my little eye, that warmed my icy black heart.... this.. a used 3rd Gen compact Glock in 45acp with 4 mags, box and papers with a godawful, but it grows on you paint job. We dickered around about price..finally came to an agreement and I went skipping out the door 320 bucks lighter.. They said used.. but I'd say maybe a box of shells in it's life. It included a hard to find 9rd, 2 10rd and a 13 round G21 mag included.
It's the slim version with the SF frame, it's essentially a hybrid..... basically a G36 single stack 45acp slide on the slimmer SF double stack frame... I have been after a plain old G30 with the heavy slide or a G21, I want to try 45 Super, which those will handle due to being equipped with a heavy slide. Between the two pistols, the G30S and a plain G30, there is about a 4 ounce weight difference in the slide, the extra slide weight comes in to play with the hotter 45 Super round, the frames are the same. But, in the mean time, this will make me a nice new small CCW with a healthy load of 45acp in my hands. I did run a magazine through it, too cold for much else, I can see why they are popular.. for it's big caliber vs. its smaller size, it is soft shooting and an easy to control pistol compared to some 45s I have shot.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Glock 30S
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »
Man GM, that paint scheme is giving me a headache just looking at it!  You going to leave it looking like that or make it respectable and all?

Nice get!   thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:50:09 PM »
Therin lies the problem.. How.... plastic frame and strong solvents don't get long, I could end up with a pile of vomit colored mush. If it were metal and my impatience was high enough, I have a bead blaster that would strip that bubba ugly right off.. but either glass beads or carbide grit wont be nice to plastic.

I may leave it as un-respectable as I can.. it will be a reminder of.... Self... don't do this to stuff.  nea1  maybe if I ever draw it...the bad guy will laugh himself to death.. and I'm free and clear.. thumb1 rofl2

Personally... I just hope I never drop it in a grassy area  :o    Probably why I got it so cheap...no self respecting gun person would have bought it  rofl2

Remember....ugly needs love too, give it a chance thumb1

Besides....I got some others this week, Jimmy had to balance the scales some.... they are old school, 2 of which are pre WWII.. this was the worst of the bunch :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 02:57:29 PM »
I can't see it....  Where's it at?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:04:48 PM »
Squint....makes it easier to see.  thumb1

Least it ain't......pink. rofl

Well, hold up...... if it were pink and said "Save the Ta Ta's" on the slide, I would have still bought it.  thumb1   Gotta support the girls thumb1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 03:19:20 PM »
I'd hit it with a heat gun in a semi-hidden area and see if that paint will soften and come up  I bet it will.  Besplode

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »
interesting look.  :o ------> they all need some luv.  yahoo1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 07:11:04 PM »
how the heck did someone paint it like that?  Is that one of those dip coating things that i cant think of the real name for?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »
As a fellow G30 owner I have to like it  :)  thumb1

how the heck did someone paint it like that?  Is that one of those dip coating things that i cant think of the real name for?

I don't know either but it was likely done by a custom shop at considerable expense by a former owner, for example:

http://customgunfinishes.com/index.php/glock-30-marine-digital/glock-30-marine-digital/

It's actually a fascinating finish from a technical perspective, painting digital camo would require precision painting/templating unless it's some sort of sheet application. It's well beyond my knowledge.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 06:46:51 PM »
I just ran across this post. Is the finish one of those thin, pre-printed sheets laid over the frame and applied with heat? (Limits on how much heat, of course.) The muzzle end looks like the sheet was applied and small edges were folded over to fit the radius on the rounded egde. After heating the sheet attaches to the frame material and no overlap in felt. It was definitely done by someone that's done it before and took their time. No idea on removal of that type of finish, though. Just a WAG...

What finish does Glock use on that slide? Looks fairly durable.

firstchoice

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 08:07:32 PM »

What finish does Glock use on that slide? Looks fairly durable.

firstchoice

FC..

The side finish is Tenifer or I've seen it called Melonite.. all of my Glocks have it.. my understanding is Glock changed finishes around Gen 4 or some say as early as 2010/2011 due to...heath issues of those applying it.. It is some tough stuff, even on the barrels, they show little, if any wear after many rounds. I have not had any rust form either..and on one.... I did try. :)

basically an explanation of the finish
It seems this subject comes up often here. Please let me add my $ .02 worth. Tenifer and Melonite are essentially one in the same process. Both are ferritic nitrocarburizing (FNC) processes, which are salt bath heat treatment procedures. Both rely on surface nitriding within the ferritic range for steels, which forms an iron nitride compound layer on the surface, with a nitrogen and carbon rich diffusion zone beneath. The compound layer is typically ~ 0.0002 to 0.0008" in thickness, with the diffusion zone typically extending into the base metal beneath the compound layer to ~ 0.004 to 0.008" in depth. The thickness and depths mentioned depend on the temperature and time at temperature during the heat treatment cycle. The typical temperature used for either the Tenifer or Melonite process ranges from 1000 F to 1100 F. The iron nitride compound layer typically develops a hardness of ~ Rockwell C- scale 68 / 70. The blackened (or dark gray) appearance of the surface finish is magnetite (iron oxide) which is developed on the surface of the compound layer when the components are immersed into an oxidizing bath as part of the FNC salt bath process. The surface enhancement created using either Tenifer or Melonite exhibits low coefficient of friction wear characteristics and abrasion resistance.

info above from here.. https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/confused-about-tenifer-finish.1509687/

So I guess when all is said and done.. you have a hardened, highly corrosion resistant, very low friction material.   

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 09:59:19 AM »
Welcome to the digital world GM ! Very sweet little Bear's Den gun you got there.  You scored on the price too ! I been waiting for some more of them Police Trade inns G21's to come up @ Recoil Gun Works.. I gotta get me some of that.  You did really good.. Very Cool looking pistol !  thumb1

Offline Chase the fizz

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 03:44:21 PM »
Nice find. For 320 id see if some steel wool might take it off, just rough it up a little and recoat over it, or just shoot the hell out of it the way it is. Personally, im not a big fan prettying up my guns. Function over form for me.
Most animals are cute and cuddly, until backed into a corner. Then the REAL animal comes out.