Author Topic: A new Ferguson rifle is born!  (Read 9546 times)

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
A new Ferguson rifle is born!
« on: June 12, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »
This is a Rifle Shop kit that is one of the most rare BP rifles out there. The kit comes with a finished barrel and breech screw. Most all the rest of the parts including the brass all come in raw dropped out of the mold condition with pour sprues sticking out. If you ever order one of their kits, spend the extra $100 and have them put the lock together. That way they will fit, finish and harden the springs and related parts. They did nice color case hardening on the frizen and other hardened parts but the rest of the lock will still need to be resurfaced from the sand blasted cast surface. The first pictures shows how I lined up the barrel wedge loops with the drill, then slip the stock on the chucked up barrel so there is an accurate guide hole drilled in the wood for the 3 barrel wedge holes. Im not a big wood work guy but I struck up a friendship with the guy I bought my home from and agreed to build this gun for him. I installed a TC touch hole liner for practical reasons

"On September 11, 1777, an army of 12,500 British troops who had recently landed at the northern end of the Chesapeake Bay marched through Pennsylvania toward the patriot capital of Philadelphia. Covering their flank, a detachment of green-clad British marksmen hid in the woods along Brandywine Creek, near Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, and kept a lookout for American forces led by General George Washington. Suddenly a cavalry officer dressed in the flamboyant uniform of a European hussar rode into view, followed by a senior American officer wearing a high cocked hat.
  Captain Patrick Ferguson, a 33-year-old Scotsman reputed to be the finest shot in the British army, commanded the British marksmen, who were equipped with fast-firing, breech-loading rifles of Ferguson’s own design. He whispered to three of his best riflemen to creep forward and pick off the unsuspecting officers. But before the men were in place, he felt disgust at the idea of such an ambush, and ordered them not to fire. He shouted to the American officer, who was riding a bay horse. The American looked his way for a moment, and turned to ride on. Ferguson called again, this time leveling his rifle toward the officer. The American glanced back before slowly cantering away.
  A day later, after he had been seriously wounded himself, Ferguson learned that the American officer he let ride off was most likely General George Washington. “I could have lodged half a dozen balls in or about him, before he was out of my reach,” Ferguson recalled, “but it was not pleasant to fire at the back of an unoffending individual, who was acquitting himself very coolly of his duty—so I let him alone.” "

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: A new Ferguson rifle is born!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 06:20:18 AM »
That's a very nice looking final product  clap1  thumb1

Fascinating history on Ferguson too  :o  :)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 09:06:23 AM »
Danged good workmanship, a really beautiful rifle.  clap1 Thanks for sharing the interesting story also.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 08:39:05 PM »
Interesting long rifle.  Whats the strange shaped block going down through the top rear of the barrel all about?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 09:38:01 PM »
Thats the breech plug, it's one of the very first breech loaders, the trigger guard screw operates the breech open and closed.

Cool design, once and a blue moon at a Civil War reinactment they will do demonstrations of many types of black powder weapons. It's shocking how accurate and how fast them boys can reload them considering how primitive they are.

That is some pretty wood. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 10:30:06 PM »
A well schooled & practiced shooter could keep up a hot fire with the Ferguson!

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 11:01:39 PM »
Gotta love it, although I did find time to make a samich and clean 4 rifles during the video.    :P

Just kidding!   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 07:52:23 AM »
Gotta love it, although I did find time to make a samich and clean 4 rifles during the video.    :P

Just kidding!

Yeah, I think the SKS may beat it on the rounds per minute count  rofl  About once every 15 seconds is better than I thought, although it would have been interesting to see him take 2-3 seconds longer to actually get a sustained aimed rate of fire  :)

Offline shemhamforash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 08:27:58 PM »
aiming is overrated, volley fire is where it's at......

oh and NICE job on that there rifle, top notch stuff for not being a woodworker 8)