Author Topic: Help for a Newb? SKS Stock ?s  (Read 3903 times)

Offline KCCO_SHADE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Help for a Newb? SKS Stock ?s
« on: December 16, 2016, 07:36:53 AM »
[/URL][/img]

Was given the rifle by a friend and would like to change the stock. I was originally leaning towards an original style wooden stock, but was informed by a co-worker that it would need to be bedded. He seems to think that bedding can be skipped if I take the synthetic route... Any truth to this? If I do end up w/ a synthetic stock, it will most likely be a "Monte Carlo" style. Preferably in brown.  Thanks in advance

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Help for a Newb? SKS Stock ?s
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 11:31:32 AM »
Your coworker may have that impression because he's dealt with stocks that weren't appropriate for the SKS at hand. If I recall correctly, for the Chinese Type 56 SKS, there are the blade bayonet stocks for long or short lug threaded barrels, and spike bayonet stocks with short lug or pressed/pinned barrels (and maybe a few early ones for long lug threaded barrels). Wood stocks for spike bayonet Chinese SKSs are generally relatively easy to find on the secondary market, eBay, GunBroker, and sometimes a few of the small "retailers", like sksman, etc.

Please post a picture of the barrel lug region of your 1978.  I believe they were all pressed/pinned barrels by then so you'd want to get one that's for that style of barrel. When you're looking, ideally pictures of the inletted portion of the stock in the recoil lug region would be most helpful in selecting the correct stock. They still might require minor adjustments for fitting, but easier with wood than plastic/composite aftermarket stocks.  I have no direct experience with plastic stocks but I've read a lot of posts on the subject where the word Dremel was used  chuckles1

You can probably read my bias, I'd go with wood  :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:19:27 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 01:33:23 PM »
An [0141], 23 mil gun appears to have a short lug with a side swivel stock showing the last 4 digits of the S/N:

Here's a better photo of a lug from a 23 mil [0141] paratrooper:

That should be a pretty easy stock to find all things considered as there are many of them out there.  As for the bedding.  Your typical condition stock SKS isn't exactly a tack driver.  4-6 MOA is considered darn good.  Bedding a custom stock isn't going to do much on your gun but cause additional work for you that you likely don't have to do.  I'd go with a take-off replacement like P32 suggests myself. thumb1

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »
Here is one on ebay, side swivel, spike cut with the handguard and some extras.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKS-STOCK-WITH-EXTRAS-/391649810480?hash=item5b3025d830:g:6bgAAOSw2xRYTcZc

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 03:22:23 PM »
I agree with running-man that bedding either an "original style" wood stock or a custom stock (plastic or wood) likely isn't worth the effort with regard to accuracy and/or precision gains.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 07:46:34 PM »
Wood stock... No bedding required

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.