Author Topic: 2.4 pounds of stainless steel  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
2.4 pounds of stainless steel
« on: July 12, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
And this big 'ol girl wears it so well, it is classic looking and it's a S&W.  Built like a tank and in 10mm, the father of the 40S&W when Smith and Wesson designed it in 1990.

Made from '90 to '95, the 1000 series were a fairly low production with just under 51,000 produced, just under 27,000 1006 models like this were made. So it's not real common for a commercial weapon. The FBI and some state police offices tried the shorter barreled variant as well. Recoil in full power loads is what created the 10mm lite load and drove them to the .40 design, which also allowed for a slightly smaller grip. This series of semiautos are built very robust, and some have even claimed it was one of the strongest designed semiauto 10mms. Having a fully supported chamber and larger heavy frame, they are capable of eating all of the hottest loaded 10mm without issues. The 10mm is a very versatile round as well, especially if handloading, you can easily duplicate a 40S&W or ramp it up and obtain power levels that rival a .357Magnum, and can almost come close to a .41 Magnum.

Based on the finish wear, I'd say it was carried more than it was shot. It has some serious holster wear. It's an SA/DA design, ambidextrous safety/decocker, 9+1 single stack with a 5 inch barrel.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Re: 2.4 pounds of stainless steel
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
Are you the new owner?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
Had one years ago...like a dumba$$ I sold.....errrr, traded it. So I have righted a regret and found another.......yea, it's mine.  :)

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 02:42:03 PM »
Good deal!   thumb1
Yeah, I know of which you speak of selling or trading a firearm to later regret "losing" it and buying another later to replace it!  Done that myself too many times!   :(

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
Good deal!   thumb1
Yeah, I know of which you speak of selling or trading a firearm to later regret "losing" it and buying another later to replace it!  Done that myself too many times!   :(

Make that a threesome  >:( PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »
Nice! That's a handsome All-American semi-auto S&W drool2 thumb1

I see that 10mm has 25% more case capacity than .40 S&W with the same bullet diameter, and it looks like the ammo is loaded to about 40-50% more ballistic energy. So the 10mm is basically the .40 on 'roids  rofl  ...hmm, or since the .40 was actually derived from the 10mm, I guess the .40 is the pre-pubescent little brother of the 10mm  think1  chuckles1

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 07:37:16 PM »
Nice! That's a handsome All-American semi-auto S&W drool2 thumb1

I see that 10mm has 25% more case capacity than .40 S&W with the same bullet diameter, and it looks like the ammo is loaded to about 40-50% more ballistic energy. So the 10mm is basically the .40 on 'roids  rofl  ...hmm, or since the .40 was actually derived from the 10mm, I guess the .40 is the pre-pubescent little brother of the 10mm  think1  chuckles1

Actually I think the .40 is the "post-pubescent" little brother of the 10mm.   ;)  Seems like the 10mm was "too much" for most to handle so it was "downloaded" so that those who are not "real men" could handle it!   :o   chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »
The 10mm was developed in 1983, the .40 which shares the same bullet was designed in '90... the first 10mm pistol was the ill-fated Bren-Ten, which was more or less based off of a Cz75, and it actually made an appearance on Miami Vice. The Bren-Tens carry a very high premium due to low numbers of production.

It was designed just for auto loaders to get the higher power of the 357 Magnum in a semiauto. It's also, if you can find one, can be found chambered in a S&W 610 revolver.....which with the advent of the .40, it can easily handle both.

While it's not an overly common cartridge compared to the others like 9mm, 45acp, etc, also having being shadowed by it's highly popular little brother, it does maintain a fairly large fan base and a fairly decent ammo section from mild to wild. With Glock, Colt, EEA, and maybe a few others still developing and making new weapons it's not going away anytime soon. Being fairly high velocity for a handgun with the correct ammo, it can stretch out a good distance as well, as it is a very flat shooting round. I have actually seen the Glock 40 in 10mm used locally for deer hunting.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »
The 10mm is a good powerhouse round no doubt about it!