Author Topic: Multi Cal  (Read 19577 times)

Offline Tudorp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Multi Cal
« on: May 28, 2015, 05:39:38 PM »
My Multi-cal set.  .223/5.56NATO/300 AAC Blackout.  The 300BO is on the lower to throw the big rocks, and when I want to shoot cheaper, quick upper switch and back at it.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: Multi Cal
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:42:56 PM »
Tudorp that is waaay too cool  thumb1

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 09:10:19 AM »
One of the aspects I like about the AR platform is being able to change calibers simply by getting another upper.   8)

Looks good...  Cannon likey

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Tudorp

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 10:15:40 AM »
Ironically, being as I trained in the military on the M16, and was awarded multiple small arms marksman on the platform, never paid much more attention to the platform after my military career. I have always loved the old skool, wood & steel (still do, and the basis of my gun collection), and just recently started playing with the AR platform from a civilian standpoint. I have to admit, being a vintage gun guy, do enjoy the AR platform. But, that said, still love the old classics. ;)

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:27:12 AM »
I just want my SAW back.

cry2
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:09:55 AM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:44:43 PM »
I like your set up and I have contemplated 300 AAC before but ultimately I decided against it.  The high cost and low availability of the cartridge was a ding, essentially the same ballistic energy as the SS109 bullet due to the much lower velocity of the .308 bullet.  The 300 AAC cartridge is more expensive and less powerful than the cheap and plentiful 7.62x39 for which I have plenty of rifles. 

I'm not trying to be negative, it still seems like a cool idea to me...basically switching calibers with the pull of a pin  8)  I'm just wondering what the performance or tactical advantages are to the 300 AAC?  I haven't looked at detailed ballistic charts but I would assume it is more stable than the light .224 bullet over long distances and may retain more ballistic energy.  Do you know if that's the case?  The ability of sub-sonic versions of the cartridge to be silenced effectively would clearly be an advantage for a real world "operator", which I obviously am not  rofl

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 07:06:16 PM »
I like your set up and I have contemplated 300 AAC before but ultimately I decided against it.  The high cost and low availability of the cartridge was a ding, essentially the same ballistic energy as the SS109 bullet due to the much lower velocity of the .308 bullet.  The 300 AAC cartridge is more expensive and less powerful than the cheap and plentiful 7.62x39 for which I have plenty of rifles. 

I'm not trying to be negative, it still seems like a cool idea to me...basically switching calibers with the pull of a pin  8)  I'm just wondering what the performance or tactical advantages are to the 300 AAC?  I haven't looked at detailed ballistic charts but I would assume it is more stable than the light .224 bullet over long distances and may retain more ballistic energy.  Do you know if that's the case?  The ability of sub-sonic versions of the cartridge to be silenced effectively would clearly be an advantage for a real world "operator", which I obviously am not  rofl

Most of the people I've asked that same question to, pretty much said it's because of the ease of changing the AR platform. It's literally just a barrel change. The bolt,  mags, and everything else used are the same since you're using the .223 casing still. I want a 7.62x39 AR...mainly so I can use the same ammo as my SKS's. But then you have a gun with unique parts, and special magazines, only used on that one gun. So I can see the appeal. I have a guy at work who shoots 300 blackout...but he said he only shoots it because he makes his own ammo from his spent .223 casings.

Offline Tudorp

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 07:34:27 AM »
Thats pretty much it. The military has been wanting to move to a caliber that would carry more energy, further, but didn't want to go through the expense of a platform change, or  replacing magazine, and other parts. I also have an Arsenal SLR101s, but, wanted a larger caliber in the AR platform too. I had considered a 7.62X39 to share ammo with the ak, and sks, but I decided against it due to feeding issues it's known for because of the case shape. Yeah, ammo is pricey, but I am now looking into setting up to reload the 300BO that would bring the cost down to around .30 a round. Right now it can be found as low as .80, but can also go up over a buck. The caliber is still new, and as it gains support, it will be more available, and the cost will come down, but as of now, it is pricey. If it don't, and for some reason it craters (which I doubt it will because the military loves the round, and everyone that shoots it loves it),  and ammo goes away, all I have to do us change the barrel, and I have it back to a standard 5.56NATO. I doubt the round will go away, it's been gaining more and more momentum. If it does, .223 brass is easily converted to accept a .308 bullet, which is pretty much what the 300 BO is. So, its easy enough to make your own ammo out of available stuff.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 12:40:21 PM »
Well guys, I have several AR-15's in 5.56, a pistol build in 5.56, another build in x39, but have steered away from the 300BO due to ammo expense. Instead, I bought a 80% lower in .308, 16" carbine upper and love it. It shoots 'lights out' all day.

Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 06:30:04 PM »
Good info guys. Thanks  thumb1

Now you just need a .458 SOCOM upper with a can :o  :))

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 08:00:09 PM »
Soo..  300bo is a 223 cut darn near in half and then necked up to 7.62. 

I dont get it.   Thats what x39 is for.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »
I kind of do, not needing another bolt, extractor, specific magazines, etc makes it desireable to the AR crowd.  Muzzle velocity and muzzle energy just don't compare to your typical 7.62x39 though.  Accuracy is probably much better though.

http://www.ballistics101.com/300aac_blackout.php
http://www.ballistics101.com/7.62x39.php

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »
Soo..  300bo is a 223 cut darn near in half and then necked up to 7.62. 

Well, yes and no. It's a .223 case, opened up to fit a 7.62 bullet. So it's a longer case than 7.62x39, which means you can build a hotter round. But the ironic thing is, most of the people I know making their own 300bo, are loading them sub sonic...so at that point, there's no velocity advantage. The "reason" for 300bo, is because if you have an existing AR, all you need to change is the barrel to run 300bo.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 08:34:03 PM »
Like I said.. its necked up to 7.62.   :))

And nope...  Its shorter then x39.   thumb1

It makes zero sense unless hour going sub sonic which you can do with x39 also, so  :-\

You can change the barrel out to any caliber you want and bolts in x39 are a dime a dozen.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
Thats alot of case work just to have a wannabe x39.    rofl

Its the name I tell ya... If it was called Turd Bucket 762 nobody would care about it.  chuckles1

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 08:46:47 PM »

Its the name I tell ya... If it was called Turd Bucket 762 nobody would care about it.  chuckles1

rofl rofl rofl rofl Darn near fell outa my chair LC...thats friggin hilarious  chuckles1
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 08:49:08 PM »
6.5 Grendel is king...  Speed, knock down, and accuracy. 

Neck down a x39 to 6.5 and fire-form... done.

223/300TB/Grendel

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 08:56:22 PM »
100yard world record.... guess what caliber it is.   

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 09:21:38 PM »
I dont mean to put down anyone with a "300bo", But...  This is what happens when the AR gurus want x39 without admitting they want x39.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 09:38:47 PM »
Like I said.. its necked up to 7.62.   :))

And nope...  Its shorter then x39.   thumb1

It makes zero sense unless hour going sub sonic which you can do with x39 also, so  :-\

You can change the barrel out to any caliber you want and bolts in x39 are a dime a dozen.

Well, that's what I get for second hand info, lol. I'll take that swift kick in the dick now please.  rofl