Author Topic: Tell me about "Letter Guns"  (Read 4366 times)

Offline 2K05GT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Tell me about "Letter Guns"
« on: April 30, 2018, 01:00:57 AM »
I was just informed (on another Board) that my SKS is a "G-Letter" gun made in 1959
any more information would be appreciated.

All the Numbers match. 

While Cleaning I found these items in the butt stock storage

I wonder what this is.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Tell me about "Letter Guns"
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 06:36:59 AM »
They were correct.

http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=360.0

The shredded cloth was likely for general cleaning and/or keeping the cleaning kit quiet.

Looks like someone re-shellacked the stock but it’s still a nice SKS. Matching Type 56s from the Albanian imports are certainly less common than the replaced stock or total mixmaster variants.  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »
Chunk of the shroud of Turin!!!! 

Nice get 2k.....    Don't it look like a block style G to you?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »
Welcome to the boards 2k.  Nice carbine!  What's the import stamp on it?  It's pretty uncommon to see what other boards call "Sino-Soviet stars" on stocks from the recent Albanian import batch.  Most specimens with stocks that look like yours (factory reshellac'd) are pre '94 imports; the Albanian import guns came in with little to no original finish left on most stocks.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 11:53:57 AM »
Most specimens with stocks that look like yours (factory reshellac'd) are pre '94 imports; the Albanian import guns came in with little to no original finish left on most stocks.

That's a factory refinish? I learn something new everyday  thumb1

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 12:25:50 PM »
I have no idea.  It may be a bubba job, but there are numerous pre '94 imports that look *exactly* like that one.  Shiny finish over a well used but original stock.  Those are the ones you typically see the stars on.  Old way of thinking was that the stars proved the "Sino-Soviet" connection of these letter guns somehow (because they are obviously "Tula stars" dontcha know!?).   

Big leaps of faith to go along with these being the first type 56s produced in China.  Of everything we've published, the "Sino-Soviet (letter) guns are the first type 56s made in China" myth seems to have the most staying power despite the mountains of evidence against it.  No idea why, maybe people are just really enamored with those little stars?  chuckles1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 01:11:53 PM »
I have no idea.  It may be a bubba job, but there are numerous pre '94 imports that look *exactly* like that one.  Shiny finish over a well used but original stock.  Those are the ones you typically see the stars on.  Old way of thinking was that the stars proved the "Sino-Soviet" connection of these letter guns somehow (because they are obviously "Tula stars" dontcha know!?).   

Big leaps of faith to go along with these being the first type 56s produced in China.  Of everything we've published, the "Sino-Soviet (letter) guns are the first type 56s made in China" myth seems to have the most staying power despite the mountains of evidence against it.  No idea why, maybe people are just really enamored with those little stars?  chuckles1

Right, the Chinese didn't use stars  ??? ::)

Wait, the stars must signify Vietnamese use...they just forgot the "1" inside  rofl

Offline 2K05GT

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 04:04:48 PM »
Welcome to the boards 2k.  Nice carbine!  What's the import stamp on it?  It's pretty uncommon to see what other boards call "Sino-Soviet stars" on stocks from the recent Albanian import batch.  Most specimens with stocks that look like yours (factory reshellac'd) are pre '94 imports; the Albanian import guns came in with little to no original finish left on most stocks.

I believe it's I.O. Inc. Monroe, NC .

Offline 2K05GT

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »

The stamps on the S/N side are a Circle with a 6 inside next to that there is a Star with a 2 inside.

The Shiny finish maybe that I  used Howards feed & Wax on it before I took the pictures..
it also helps pull out the cosmoline out, everytime I clean the stock the rag gets very dirty.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 04:46:04 PM »
Right, interesting stock markings for sure. But what are the US importer's marks? They will either be on the muzzle end of the barrel or on the receiver.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 05:00:52 PM »
I believe it's I.O. Inc. Monroe, NC .

The stamps on the S/N side are a Circle with a 6 inside next to that there is a Star with a 2 inside.

The Shiny finish maybe that I  used Howards feed & Wax on it before I took the pictures..
it also helps pull out the cosmoline out, everytime I clean the stock the rag gets very dirty.

Very neat, first batch of the IO's was a great set of imports!

Was it really dry when you first got it?  Something like this?:

The pre 94's looked very clean and clearly refinished, here's an example:

I have a few IO Sino-Banians and they are constantly leeching preservative from the stock on a hot day.  Impossible to handle them w/o the aroma getting all over you (not that this is a bad thing!).  I don't know of a way to prevent this short of ruining the stock with a refinish.  You either live with constantly needing to wipe down the stock or perhaps the easiest way to avoid this is to put the carbine in a nice donor stock while in use and keep the original squirreled safely away.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 07:19:25 PM »

Offline 2K05GT

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 09:13:23 PM »

Very neat, first batch of the IO's was a great set of imports!

Was it really dry when you first got it?  Something like this?:

When I first got the SKS I put the stock in the back window of my mustang on a hot day.... I should have put it on paper towels.. 4 years later I still smell cosmoline. great air freshener, better than those little pine trees LOL.

running-man,

it was a rough looking stock.

the cosmoline was so dried and caked on, there was straw, and other stuff I did not want to know what
it was all over it. It looked like after it was dipped in cosmoline they dropped it on the ground in a cow
pasture, and then the pigs played with it in the pen before it was stored.

It took several days to remove the gunk.. nasty
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:31:38 AM by 2K05GT »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 09:33:53 PM »
I still have a few in 'as-imported' goo.   :))

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Ikecornell

• For as long as there are battles, there will always be Marines.
  • Cadet
  • We will cut our enemies down in droves (M60 thing)
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 08:23:45 PM »
Same IO import slightly higher SS.

Corporal USMC (1969-1972)
MOS 0331

Offline Tvchance

• Cadet
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 01:08:54 PM »
Chunk of the shroud of Turin!!!! 

Nice get 2k.....    Don't it look like a block style G to you?
Blahahaha!!