Author Topic: Izhevskii PM  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Izhevskii PM
« on: April 21, 2018, 09:38:54 PM »
I've done so good.. not buying, but, I fell off the fricken wagon. A local auction place had this and I, all willy nilly threw a max bid of 205 at it, thinking ain't no way. Sure enough 2 hours later, I received a wonderful invoice from my local crack dealer. So I went paid the man and picked it up yesterday, cleaned it up all nice and purdy, just to turn around get it dirty, so I could clean it again :)

It's a true blue Russian made Makarov, a commercial variant, made by IMEZ....or Izhevskii Mechanicheskii Zavod or Izhevsk Mechanical Factory, imported by B-West sometime in the early 90's. It has the adjustable rear sight to get around the import laws of the time. One other difference is it's not 9mm Mak, but chambered in .380acp. So I dug around and found my Bulgarian Makarov, sure enough everything looked the same, even the magazines. So, now what....uhm..then out comes some ammo :) sure enough, the magazines are swap-able. Shooting the two, I noticed no difference in recoil or even accuracy with generic run of the mill ammo.
In 9mm Mak, I dug up some Red Army Polish made stuff, LVE Novosibirsk and some Silver Bear, I dug around some more and found 5 different brands to try in the 380, it ate like a fat kid in front of a cake, everything from cheapie Win. white box, Blazer, some off the wall reman gunshow stuff with Hornady XTPs, to an expensive single mag full of Corbons... Warmer stuff like Corbon 380 or LVE Novosibirsk 9mm Mak wasn't even a really noticeable difference, just maybe a very slight increase in muzzle flip and slightly more snappy recoil.

Of course it worked.... It's Russian..  thumb1

The twin devices that made the nice quiet spring day, not so quiet. chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Izhevskii PM
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 10:47:56 PM »
Makarov love  thumb1  :)

What do you think of the adjustable sight? I don’t have a commercial Russian in the Makarov collection.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 11:23:09 PM »
For me, it was a little easier to use than the traditional blade like the Bulgarian, but I think the worst thing is the front sight, that little dinky skinny nub likes to vanish, especially in bright sun light. Like any commie handgun, the sights kind of suck compared to more modern pieces. As I have read, the elevation screw is kind of fragile, but I didn't need to adjust it, I did give the windage a little tweak.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 11:27:34 PM »
Nice GM. Pretty soon you're going to start buying other commercial Maks because this one will get lonely!  rofl

Was this gun chambered in .380 from the factory?  I didn't realize the Russians used that caliber. Very neat.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 11:43:46 PM »
I don't know if Russia actually used the .380, I highly doubt it, I think it was done to gain in sales being a caliber we, in North America were more familiar with. These were made and imported either in .380 or 9mm Mak, the rounds are very close in power, no changes in the design was needed short of the barrel and makes the magazines interchangeable. The model numbers reflect the caliber, IJ-70 17A, is 9x17mm, standard magazine cap, a IJ-70 18A is 9x18mm, 9mm Mak standard mag cap. There were also high cap models, say, IJ-70 18H, the A and H denote mag capacity, instead of 8rds, they are double stack 12rd, and now highly expensive. Also there were conversion kits to swap barrels, not the easiest thing as I understand, but it could be done, knock a pin out, and use a small press.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 09:20:32 AM »
nice buy. mag opening is interesting having a window.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 12:25:03 PM »
Are You Kidding me !!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 01:56:55 PM »

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 12:24:14 AM »
You did good. Love them Mac's .. And a 205.00 Russian is thick icing on the cake.. Back slappen Keg Tappen party time !