Author Topic: Yugo M59 C-series recent pick-up  (Read 10266 times)

Offline SKhiSm 59-66A1

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
  • My God, they have a Weaselpecker with them.
Re: Yugo M59 C-series recent pick-up
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 06:58:29 PM »
fwiw there was a fellow here in Cinci that sold a pair of M59 consecutive on GBrkr, I'm gonna say about 3 years ago and they were both gorgeous as well. iirc they went for about 11-1200$ I def recall thinking once they were gone that I should have had my hat in the ring.

btw way welcome aboard ed you have a very nice yugo there my C is a been there warhorse
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."

Daniel Boone

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 03:51:50 AM »
fwiw there was a fellow here in Cinci that sold a pair of M59 consecutive on GBrkr, I'm gonna say about 3 years ago and they were both gorgeous as well. iirc they went for about 11-1200$ I def recall thinking once they were gone that I should have had my hat in the ring.

Wow...I don't see that as unreasonable in a best case scenario...but it does show the value of consecutives....and a buyer.

If I had consecutives, and the story behind reuniting them...selling them likely would not be an issue anyway. I would be so interested in the comparison after refurbishment between the two.

Offline edrod68

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 02:26:14 PM »
Well, I had the time today to field strip the rifle down and get a good look at everything.

Bluing is very nice on the rifle, shows minimal wear.  Bolt and bolt carrier are clean, firing pin rattles and moves freely inside bolt.  Trigger is clean with no build up of grease anywhere.

Frankly, I saw no signs of cosmoline anywhere, all springs are shiny and show little wear.  Bore and rifling are clean and shiny, no pitting anywhere.  Rifling is distinct and sharp edged.

Definitely a refurb,  I can see the sanded part on the stock by the serial number where the old number was removed and New number stamped.

Also, bottom of barrel and receiver inside stock have the number 898 stamped on both barrel and receiver. 

No pics today, but based on how new everything looks inside and out, I think I did pretty well.  Can't wait to get it to the range to see how she shoots.

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 11:45:48 AM »
Very nice rifle!  Congrats on a great find!

Offline edrod68

• Cadet
Re: Yugo M59 C-series recent pick-up (update)
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 01:18:47 PM »
Got it out to the range a few days ago.  Thought I might have to spend time adjusting the sights.  Nope!!!  Dead on at 100 yards with the sights as is, to say I was impressed was an understatement.

Cycled great, absolutely no issues.  Trigger was better than I expected, not much creep, though a bit of a long pull, but clean break.

I shot about 200 rounds of Golden Tiger through it that session.  ZERO issues!!!!

I am very happy....

Some pics as well....(the Yugo with its Chinese brother), as well as the targets (Round target is the Chinese w/scope) and the large target is the Yugo with open sights only (No way am I modding the Yugo in ANY way, its just too nice as is)

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 09:03:06 PM »
Dang it. Now I am compelled to clean the cosmo out of my M59 and try it out.
Five new inches of snow can propel my procrastination a little longer though....despite my need for groundhog vengeance.

Nice shooting with both! :)

Offline edrod68

• Cadet
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 03:26:59 PM »
Thanks...

Quick note... I am participating in the final round of three this Saturday in a local "Winter War" match.  The rules are 1) mil-surp rifles only 2) must be at least 50 years old 3) optics are allowed (thank God as my eyes suck now) and 4) shoot from any position

I won the first event with my Chinese SKS (pictured earlier in thread) by beating 2nd place by 1 point.  Then proceeded to lose the second event by one point to the same guy (22 year old with perfect eyes!!!) so we are a dead tie leading into Saturday's event - winner take all

So wish me luck, hopefully the batch of Hornady Steel Match/hunting ammo with the 123 gr SST bullet will be more consistent on Saturday.  My last match was lost due to ammo inconsistency (7 in 10 ring with 3 flyers to bring my score to a 93 to his 94).

I'll let you know how it turns out...

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »
Dang it man....   the sks is not an 'accurate' rifle shooting x39.  Good work!

Can you shoot something like a Swede Mauser?   If so...... hes toast

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline edrod68

• Cadet
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 10:34:57 PM »
I could, but don't have one...the pair of SKS's are my sole mil-surp rifles.

Like I said, the ammo is the limiting factor I have fpund....hence the experiment with the Hornady ammo.  Hoping this will actually be consistent.  Considering that the targets I posted earlier, the smaller group shot with the Chinese and the 93 I shot in the match were shot with Wolf 123 gr HP polycase ammo (7 10s and three flyers) I am hopeful the Hornady might get me a tighter group.

If not, I might have to start reloading for it

Offline edrod68

• Cadet
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »
Ok...match complete today....the Hornady was a complete disappointment.  Was not grouping very well at all, on a whim I tried fitting a live round into the muscle end....guess what?  Its freaking. 308 bullet diameter....ugh.....complete waste of money 2-4 MOA at best....

PPU brass case 123 FMJ was slightly better, still did not group horribly well, and I ended up losing the match and championship by one point...

Looks like time to start reloading...I'll let you know how that goes...

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 01:32:00 AM »
Awe man....   308 factory x39 rounds, thats weird!   Why would they do that?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 03:01:56 AM »
I have heard of it happening. If you have left overs.. maybe contact Hornady with the lot number and see what they say. Everything I've seen they are supposed to be .310.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline edrod68

• Cadet
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 06:37:24 PM »
Yeah, to say I was dissapointed was an understatement...I am gonna check them with the micrometer just to be sure.  If they are truly .308 bullets I will be selling them off.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 08:28:05 PM »
Let us know...   May have to stay away from them. 

Offline edrod68

• Cadet
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 09:02:28 PM »
Put the Hornady cartridges under the micrometer.  They are .308 bullets.  Stay away from the Hornady steel case 123 SST load in the 50 round box, they are undersized for combloc barrels.

It was 3-4 MOA ammo at best, would be nice if Hornady would state this info on the box or ads.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 12:17:28 AM »
 dash2