Author Topic: TO BE...OR NOT TO BE  (Read 4523 times)

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
TO BE...OR NOT TO BE
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:35:00 PM »
Hi Fellas,

Could be the wrong forum, but here's my plight. Over the last year or so, I've acquired my first "commercial" production SKSs, although I already had a BTC spiker Para, and a PS marked weapon. Anyway, I've picked up a few more Paras, and a couple late '80s rifles. In noting the K-Sport FSB mod, I thought I might give it a go on a project. The general mentality in the past has been "If you're going full Bubba, at least use a cheap Chinese", which is exactly what the importers did, back in the hey day of commercial offerings.

But that was then, this is now. At this point I'm hesitant to sacrifice anything matching or obviously scrubbed, simply because these are all there are. I like to tinker, and I'm getting ready to fire up the Khyber Pass Fabrication squad, and give a go at replicating or cloning what was once available to the not so handy. As it stands in my stash:
Donor #1 is a parts built pinned barrel spiker rifle, with only the receiver (recognized serial #) not matching everything else. GO
Donor #2 is an all matching (including wood) early /26\ that someone previously drilled 2 tiny holes in the receiver & NOTCHED the stock. GO
Donors #3 - #7 all matching Sinobanians...???
My other candidates got turned into an SVT40.

These abominations will be "What I would've done did, if I'd be the one done did it" themed.

What say ye? PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: TO BE...OR NOT TO BE
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 09:00:58 PM »
Khyber Pass    :o

Are we talking about wrapped wire and the dragged behind a truck look?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:59:51 PM »
#1 and #2 are already past the point of no return.  Oh sure, some might argue that #2 is still *all matching* in which case I would say "True, but it's already been forever made into 'Bubba's gun'".  I'd probably go to town on either or both of those and leave the Sino-Banians as they are.  They have already led a pretty difficult life, time to let those poor guys rest a bit!

To be honest, if I was going to hack and slash at something, it would be a run-of-the-mill medium condition Yugo.  Yugos are a dime a dozen and nobody seems to like them!  chuckles1

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 10:18:28 PM »
Khyber Pass    :o

Are we talking about wrapped wire and the dragged behind a truck look?

No. Think, functional clean lines, KPF vs KSI, Navy Arms, Birklee... They'll look virtually indistinguishable from factory ordered/built units, which were produced with mostly simple modifications, and some appear to have been done hastily, to meet the import standard of the day.

newci's link shows potential, but no cost estimate. The accumulative parts costs, would likely exceed what I have in some complete rifles. I went deep when the Sinobanian batches started coming ashore, but now those guys are worth fair bank. More valuable unmolested than screwed around with...but they're only cheap Chinese right?! 

The Khyber Pass Fabrication (KPF)shop, is where my alter Bubba lives...lurking, never sleeping, waiting with the Dremal to the ready.

#1 and #2 are already past the point of no return.  Oh sure, some might argue that #2 is still *all matching* in which case I would say "True, but it's already been forever made into 'Bubba's gun'".  I'd probably go to town on either or both of those and leave the Sino-Banians as they are.  They have already led a pretty difficult life, time to let those poor guys rest a bit!

Agreed, and I'm leaning in both of those directions. I would prefer a pre-Bubba rescue/rebirth, to a sacrificial lamb,  but I can use Sinobanian guts on a barreled action to get it up and running, until I locate replacement components reasonably priced. Another negative aspect of the barreled action builds, is that I'm a Kali resident, and those require FFL fees.  PAX
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:34:39 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 05:30:16 AM »

To be honest, if I was going to hack and slash at something, it would be a run-of-the-mill medium condition Yugo.  Yugos are a dime a dozen and nobody seems to like them!  chuckles1

But RM if he's going to bubba one it should at least function  chuckles1

Pax do you ever get tired ? ha ha ha ha ha  Go with you gut..  and keep us posted.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 01:15:58 PM »
Hey PAX, how ya been.

I know I'm a month and a half late on this, but it was a way to say hi, lol.

Anyway, I say Mod #1 and sell #2 to me. I will keep it original and fabricate a scope mount on what sounds like may be a Navy Arms West Coast job that is missing the scope mount/rail. If it's a hack job I can work with that too. :) :)
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 05:30:16 PM »
Hey PAX, how ya been.
I know I'm a month and a half late on this, but it was a way to say hi, lol.Anyway, I say Mod #1 and sell #2 to me. I will keep it original and fabricate a scope mount on what sounds like may be a Navy Arms West Coast job that is missing the scope mount/rail. If it's a hack job I can work with that too. :) :)

Hi Alan,

Did you get your desert spot you were looking at?

This is a side shot of predrilled gun. The seller THOUGHT it was/could have been a NA gun, but the holes and spacing are wrong. It had a bad TG, so I had Ben work his magic on it. It's all matching, including the stock.
I have managed to scrounge up a few mounts that could be persuaded to work, as well as a Choate.

Since I started this thread, I ran across 2 more Franken builders. They're in transit from OK as we speak. One barreled action appears to be unfired, or not run much at all. They're both complete, but apart, just what I'm after. I ran across a couple SKSs in the south part of the state for not to bad ducats wise, but the shipping and DROS turned out to be the deal breaker. I think they were within striking distance of you if you're interested.

Giddy up cowboy, PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 10:14:41 PM »
Hey PAX, how ya been.
I know I'm a month and a half late on this, but it was a way to say hi, lol.Anyway, I say Mod #1 and sell #2 to me. I will keep it original and fabricate a scope mount on what sounds like may be a Navy Arms West Coast job that is missing the scope mount/rail. If it's a hack job I can work with that too. :) :)

Hi Alan,

Did you get your desert spot you were looking at?

This is a side shot of predrilled gun. The seller THOUGHT it was/could have been a NA gun, but the holes and spacing are wrong. It had a bad TG, so I had Ben work his magic on it. It's all matching, including the stock.
I have managed to scrounge up a few mounts that could be persuaded to work, as well as a Choate.

Since I started this thread, I ran across 2 more Franken builders. They're in transit from OK as we speak. One barreled action appears to be unfired, or not run much at all. They're both complete, but apart, just what I'm after. I ran across a couple SKSs in the south part of the state for not to bad ducats wise, but the shipping and DROS turned out to be the deal breaker. I think they were within striking distance of you if you're interested.

Giddy up cowboy, PAX

Hmmm, the possibilities. Seems like it would be easy enough to come up with something to make fit. So, where are these parts SKSs you speak of?
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 06:02:49 AM »
The 2 predrilled holes on this rifle are tapped 10-32. I've got a mount I scrounged out of an LGS junk bin, actually I got 3. They look like something for a shotgun, flat sided. I was considering having the mount high enough to use the irons, then high enough to remove the receiver cover, now I've settled on as low as possible.

The parts guns are in transit from Oklahoma City. The units in the south state near you are complete rifles, slightly under Kali market. I haven't checked on them in a couple weeks since my offer on the other 2 was accepted. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 01:30:19 PM »
The 2 predrilled holes on this rifle are tapped 10-32. I've got a mount I scrounged out of an LGS junk bin, actually I got 3. They look like something for a shotgun, flat sided. I was considering having the mount high enough to use the irons, then high enough to remove the receiver cover, now I've settled on as low as possible.

The parts guns are in transit from Oklahoma City. The units in the south state near you are complete rifles, slightly under Kali market. I haven't checked on them in a couple weeks since my offer on the other 2 was accepted. PAX

You mean like this?(It is a mount for a shotgun)  :)

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 04:13:42 AM »
Yep, very similar. The rear profile is a little  more angled and over all longer. I cut the front to match the rear shape, and allow the use of strippers. I also cut the height to almost touch the receiver cover. The plan is to tap the mount at 1 hole and use my laser bore site to align a scope to POI, then mark the second hole, tap it and recheck. Then if I'm satisfied with the alignment, drill and tap a single 1/4 - 20 with the mount installed. I'm after it being able to return to zero upon removal for cleaning. It's an aluminum mount, and I picked up 3 for 10 bucks quite some time before I got this rifle. If the stock hadn't been cut, I'd prolly would've just put some screws in the holes and called it good. It was cheap though, $250 a couple years ago. PAX

Picked up this is the mongrel dog out of Oregon for $250 too, couple months ago. Pinned barrel, milled TG, grey bolt carrier.
It's a /416\# 21006149. All matching, bolt too, but the stock couldn't be easily salvaged.  Bubba screwed up a good piece of wood.

After paint stripping, the metal bits revealed quite a surprise.

Half a day of elbow grease between chores, and look what was under it all. 

Doesn't look to have been fired much, at all.

Replaced the chewed up wood with a blank pinned stock.
  You need a crew