Author Topic: 1950 SKS with spike bayonet  (Read 78572 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: 1950 SKS with spike bayonet
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2018, 12:25:31 AM »
As far as the fsb pins go...  Im not seeing a notable spacing difference, and comparing cross nation is interesting but not relevant in my opinion. Jigs etc, this is still 1950s tooling with a human factor on something that does not require that tight of tolerance. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »
I have a heavy refurbished 49. Blade bayonet, 45 degree gas port, forced matched bolt and receiver. Decided to try and move stock ferrule. A little dry lubricant, hammer  and wrench it moved. On this one there is only a pin slot on top. This might indicate that at refurb, when changing over to blade and 45 degree gas block that they did a barrel change?? Alignment marks line up and there appears to be a 1 on receiver but not on barrel. Will take some pictures. I like to pictures outside but it is snowing.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2018, 03:57:03 PM »
This might indicate that at refurb, when changing over to blade and 45 degree gas block that they did a barrel change??

I doubt it.
More likely it needed a barrel and thats how it got all the the rest of the bits.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2018, 03:58:42 PM »
I have a heavy refurbished 49. Blade bayonet, 45 degree gas port, forced matched bolt and receiver. Decided to try and move stock ferrule. A little dry lubricant, hammer  and wrench it moved. On this one there is only a pin slot on top. This might indicate that at refurb, when changing over to blade and 45 degree gas block that they did a barrel change?? Alignment marks line up and there appears to be a 1 on receiver but not on barrel. Will take some pictures. I like to pictures outside but it is snowing.

Sounds to me like it began life that way....  all these 50s we see having a 90 degree gasblock and a blade are probably 49s that were converted.  $20 says one of those would have a second pin groove. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »
Took pictures of my 49 heavy refurbished.  I should also state that it has a 45 degree gas port that was used mid 50 to 52. I have to agree with Newchi about it was probably a barrel replacement.

https://ibb.co/album/e9ryVa
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:07:28 PM by jstin2 »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2018, 06:15:27 PM »
Loose - Cannon, I wish I had a 50 with 90 degree gas block and a blade bayonet. Wouldn't mind having a extra $20.00 U.S or $26.00 CDN. If I ever get one I will definitely check it out, now that I know what to do. Either way it turns out it will be a fact finding mission.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »
Justin Hell- I was just taking a closer look at the groove for the pin. I think that you are right about having 2 pin grooves opposite from each other, causing structural problems. At first didn't think it would but when the barrel heated up from firing and cooled, this could be a weak point. Look at the depth of groove and imagine one on either side of barrel.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2018, 07:25:37 PM »
Aint that deep, they obviously dont have an issue doing it, or they wouldn't do it at all. How many rifles you seen with deep dovetails for front sights etc.  These grooves are no problemo.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2018, 08:21:14 PM »
I know nothing about rifle barrels or their tolerances, but any change in structure should cause a concern. Now one groove may not make any difference with a pin in it, but 2 opposite of each other may. And rifle barrels heat up drastically when shot rapid fire. The collar on stock ferrule should help eliminate some factors. If you know a gunsmith ask him.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »
Harmonics will be even with top and bottom.    ;)

Again, these little grooves wont effect squat, tapping and dove tailing barrels is common place in firearms. You think its gonna snap in half when the muzzle is bumped?  There is plenty of structural material there for that little groove to no effect anything... if it did, they wouldn't do it.    thumb1

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2018, 09:16:14 PM »
To be true to the fact, there isn't any proof that there was a groove in both top and bottom of barrel for pin. Until there is a proven picture of said item, the argument is pointless. I love the fact that you are negative to almost everything refurb and to prove you are wrong, trouble is that you are sometimes right.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2018, 10:10:10 PM »
As far as the fsb pins go...  Im not seeing a notable spacing difference, and comparing cross nation is interesting but not relevant in my opinion. Jigs etc, this is still 1950s tooling with a human factor on something that does not require that tight of tolerance.

I've got to agree with this.  A standard match drill tolerance on these pin locations is well within the numbers everyone has posted.  I don't see any major design differences in the numbers.   thumb1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2018, 10:51:36 PM »
Took pictures of my 49 heavy refurbished.  I should also state that it has a 45 degree gas port that was used mid 50 to 52. I have to agree with Newchi about it was probably a barrel replacement.

https://ibb.co/album/e9ryVa

Hey jstin2, 

Here's what that database has for ШO prefixed guns.  Every single one sports a '50 cover, 45° gas block, short stamped rear takedown lever, square ear solid bayo lug, early tall receiver, most have a tabbed gas tube latch and all have blade bayos. 

Does yours sport an early looped rear takedown lever?

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2018, 10:52:34 PM »
Why might the laminate stock be the only late-design replacement feature on jstin2's 1950(?) gun?

1. Early bolt/carrier (49-51)
2. Early trigger and saftey (49-52)
3. Early mag design (49-53)
4. Early bayonet and ferrule (49-[50?])

So this gun was refurbed post 1955, but the only thing that was replaced was the stock?

Not one outdated part/group was swapped for a new design before 1955---not even a trigger and safety update?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2018, 11:53:00 PM »
To be true to the fact, there isn't any proof that there was a groove in both top and bottom of barrel for pin. Until there is a proven picture of said item, the argument is pointless.

Oh, I can think of a whole lot of things that are pointless, but not looking at all possibilities because they may prove your gun is not a 1950 at birth is like driving a car with blinders on.

I love the fact that you are negative to almost everything refurb and to prove you are wrong, trouble is that you are sometimes right.

Remind me what you have proven me wrong about and we shall go from there?

I simply point out facts that you dont happen to be fond of, dont shoot the messenger.  Im not 'negative' about anything refurb....  its just by simply being a refurb, there isnt a person on this planet that can or ever will be able to verify your holy grail.  I love the fact that you are unwilling to accept any stubborn fact that does not advance your narrative.  All I am doing is keeping it real.  I have already stated several times, I dont care which it is 49 or 50.  Im not going to ignore glaring inconsistencies because 'I want it to be so badly'.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 12:02:38 AM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2018, 12:07:31 AM »
running-man,  Took carbine out of safe to take a look at it WO prefixed gun. For one thing it has a 49 cover (date engraved) and a refurb mark on it. Receiver cover pin hole is for early style latch pin. Thing is that latch pin doesn't have a eyelet hole in it. It is solid. The receiver and cover are the only parts that are stamped, the rest are forced stamped. Spring loaded firing pin.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2018, 12:09:28 AM »
The only way your going to prove your gun started life as a 1950 is if you bring us a NON refurb 1950 spiker, and bunch of NON refurb 49 spikers so all the variables can be eliminated.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2018, 12:44:37 AM »
We have 1 refurb 50 with a spike.....  how many out there that are refurb 49 with a blade?   How do you know that the transition did not happen in 49 and yours isnt simply a 49 with a 50 cover? 

Like this one.    How many 90 degree blade 49s you have RM? 

http://www.icollector.com/SIMONOV-SKS-RIFLE-DATED-1949_i24241529

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2018, 01:15:55 AM »
loose cannon - in refurb it was to improve (maybe) the carbine to new specs. If your boss says this is what I want ,you do it. But with my 50 why didn't they change everything? Unless they didn't think that it wasn't worth it. Look at blueing, receiver, bolt. bolt carrier, cover and I almost forgot spike bayonet. Stock was garbage so replace it.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2018, 01:34:15 AM »
loose cannon - in refurb it was to improve (maybe) the carbine to new specs. If your boss says this is what I want ,you do it. But with my 50 why didn't they change everything? Unless they didn't think that it wasn't worth it. Look at blueing, receiver, bolt. bolt carrier, cover and I almost forgot spike bayonet. Stock was garbage so replace it.

How do you know what they did/didnt change?  Your receiver serial alone looks to have a dif prefix then the rest of the gun, and we KNOW they scrub parts to the point you cannot tell unless your lucky enough to find old remnants.

Why they scrub the serial and reserialize it?  Was the receiver bad?  If it was bad, why was it used.....again?

Why, why, why..... I dunno why, but they do.  Prolly because their boss said so.