Author Topic: Russian MU12 ... ORIGINAL OWNER CONTACT  (Read 6435 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Russian MU12 ... ORIGINAL OWNER CONTACT
« on: September 15, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »
You guys know how my  second passion after the sks is 22lr match guns....

A few years ago I bought this EXTREMELY rare in the US Russian MU12 from a small shop that used to import match guns of various makers from the UK.  I had posted this rifle on the Mosin boards and to be honest, I havent logged in there in years. Today I received a PM from someone on the Mosin boards, so I tried to log in to read it. After several failed attempts, I recovered my password and read this......

Hi!
My name is Geoff and I live in the UK.
I looked at your photos with great interest as I believe I may have finally tracked down my old rifle which I owned between 1974 and 1995. The barrel should be stamped with NA 9 and 1961. If this is the case then I would be very grateful for your confirmation as I can then stop expending wasted effort in trying to locate it in the UK.
I gave the gun away in 1995 as I had to stop shooting due to work commitments and I have now, at the ripe old age of 67,started shooting again! Strangely my scores are not as good as they used to be.
If the numbers match then you have yourself a very accurate rifle, I have scored many 'possibles' (i.e.100) with it.
And if it IS my old gun then I wonder how on earth it ended up in the USA.
By all means contact me at xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com and if you wish for any further information about the gun then I will happily supply it.
All the best
Regards
Geoff Dongworth

Yup....  thats the rifle I have.   :))

I sent him an email asking to provide any details and pics he can... maybe he has some of the accessories that were not with the rifle.   dntknw1

The rifle is a 1961 Tula Star marked MU12 serial NA 9.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Re: Russian MU12 ... ORIGINAL OWNER CONTACT
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 10:00:30 PM »
My reply..

Hello!!

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you then...  I am currently looking at your old rifle NA9 1961 Tula Star.  The rifle was imported into the US circa 2005 by a US importer that specialized in 22lr match rifles, and his shop is/was in Front Royal Virginia. The owner passed away and his family started opening the shop on Saturdays only.  This rifle was in the back room and not on display because it did not have sights etc. I purchased it about 3 years ago and have always wondered.... The bottom grip area of the stock was cut off and a piece if dark wood added, and the front post was removed and a riser block soldered in place.  I believe the riser block was to accommodate a sight tube. Were you the owner that made these alterations?  It also was drilled for scope mounts, so I mounted a scope seeing that I don't know exactly how the front was setup for peep sights etc.  I have not shot the rifle as of yet... Its simply in my collection of Match rifles I like to look at and think 'what would this gun say if it could talk!"    I would VERY VERY much enjoy hearing or seeing any information you may have concerning this rifle.  Any pictures?  The rifle also unfortunately did NOT come with any accessories what so ever and in the US I'm afraid that will not happen as I only know of maybe 2 others in the US.

Your friend Travis

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 10:01:43 PM »
His reply...    :o

Hi Travis,
There is no bad news in your email apart obviously from the fact that the gun is now well out of my reach, I am extremely pleased that the gun still exists and has not been melted down!
Shoot the rifle! If it is still as good as it used to be then you will be pleasantly surprised. I won many matches with it.
To answer your questions -
I WAS the owner that made these alterations. A friend of mine modified the bottom of the stock to 'mimic' the Anschutz Supermatch 1413. The aluminium rail set into the dark wood held a curved piece of wood for the side of your hand to rest on. This has obviously got lost somewhere, as has the box containing a full set if accessories ( sights, tools, handrest for 3P shooting etc. You are right about the riser block replacing the front post. I found the sighting position with the standard Vostok sights far too low and had a rear 8" Andrew Tucker tubesight fitted together with a 1" diameter tube foresight (about 4" long) which needed to be set higher to synchronize with the rearsight. Worked like a dream and I was a pretty good shot with it. I had it drilled for scope mounts at the same time just for the hell of it and used a scope for various 'Any Sights' competitions at the annual Bisley competitions. We used to go to Bisley for the yearly small bore competitions which used to last a week. We used to shoot all day and drink all night. My idea of heaven!
When you draw the bolt back there is a 'lever' that stops the bolt coming out. This was always very loose and unless you kept a close eye on it you would draw the bolt back to load another round and the bolt would come out completely! Has someone mended this this or does it still do it?
The rifle was used solely for competition shooting. In the UK we shoot .22 prone at 25 yards, 50 metres and 100 yards. A weird mix of Imperial and Metric but then we English always do things strangely without letting either logic or common sense get in the way!
When you get round to using the rifle always put a couple of 'barrel warmers' into the bank first, they always used to throw high right, then she settles down nicely.
I don't think I have any pictures of just the rifle but I know I have some of me with it. I will see if I can take some digital photos of the original prints and send them to you. If that fails then I could have copies made and post them to you.
If the rifle was bought in Virginia then whereabouts are you? I had the impression from the websight that you were in Texas but that is probably just me misunderstanding the American address notations.
Just received your photo of the gun 'as purchased'. It certainly looks a bit sad doesn't it? Unless you can get some Andrew Tucker kit over there then I suspect that a scope may be your only option.
As 'historical' information the gun cost me £40 in 1974 and I think I spent about £150 in 1975 buying the sights and having them specially fitted.
That's all for now, I shall see if I can find some photos. Any other questions - you now know where I am! Specifically I am in a village called Great Wakering which is about 3 miles East of Southend-on-Sea, Essex which is itself about 40 miles straight East of London. So I am on the Thames Estuary just where it flows into the English Channel. Postcode (i.e. zipcode) is SS3 0AR if you want to waste 5 minutes on Google Maps!

Absolutely great to hear from you, thank you very much indeed for responding so promptly. I am off to bed now as it is almost 0300 and I need my beauty sleep!
Regards and thanks
Geoff

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 10:16:43 PM »
Neat!

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 10:55:51 PM »
 :o Wow just wow. That is fantastic. All of us wonder what our rifles could tell us if they could. Yours just did, with an added bonus of a new found friend from across the pond.  thumb1
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 11:17:53 PM »
Im stoked....

Seems I was right and, what he had on this rifle was a set of sight tubes... like these.  i need to buy a set. 

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 11:32:19 PM »
That's just awesome
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 12:09:31 AM »
I dunno why, but there was slightly dif model numbers when the slightest component was changed I guess.  Shown here its called an MTs-12.   

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 12:30:12 AM »
Great story!  Congrats on finding the owner. 

Trigger is adjustable from 1.5 ounces to 3 lbs ?!  :o

By the way, your rifle is the same age as I am so feel free to send it to me for my upcoming birthday  thumb1  dance2  chuckles1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »
Update.

The original owner was kind enough to send me the original document booklet that came with the rifle, and two photos of him with it.   thumb1

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:51:20 AM by Loose}{Cannon »

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »
That is wicked kool!  Great piece of history there LC!  thumb1

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
That's killer!!!

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR