Author Topic: Semikriegs, full salute  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
Semikriegs, full salute
« on: June 21, 2016, 07:13:56 PM »
Here's a neat rifle I picked up recently. It's a Semi Kriegsmodell Gustloff-made k98k. The receiver date is '44 but with the 5-digit serial, this gun likely wasn't finished and issued until early '45. As the war pressed on, the Germans started taking shortcuts in their k98k production methods in order to increase output. What makes this one a Semikriegs, opposed to a full out Kriegsmodell, is the exclusion of the bolt takedown ring in the butt. Instead, a small hole was drilled into the butt plate to be used for bolt disassembly. It does have a bayonet lug and cleaning rod provision, so it doesn't fit into the Kriegsmodell category.

What drew me to this beast of a Mauser was the crude stock "chatter". Its rough, ribbed, and undulating contours are indicative of the panicked state of affairs for Germany in late '44/45. Here are two decent pics of the chatter, also the eagle/H army acceptance stamp:

Gustloff Werke wasn't so much a manufacturer of K98ks as they were an assembler of parts. Many subcontracted parts can be found on this gun, typical of any wartime Gustloff Mauser. The barrel (code AVK) was made by Ruhrstahl. The receiver (code 1) was made by Astrawerke. The mag plate (code QNW), bolt shroud (gnn) and even the stock itself (C) show the marks of other businesses.

When I first picked this rifle up it was obviously heavier than any other k98k I've handled. I wasn't aware of it at the time, but Gustloff by 1944 was known to use oversized stocks. I'm not sure if this was a strengthening measure, or just a shortcut in wood finishing. But take another look at this pic, you can see how the heel bulges outward beyond the butt plate, much wider than your standard early- or midwar Mauser.

This rifle is 100% matching, but by this point in production, serialization of parts was mostly abolished. Where, let's say a 1938 gun would have numbered screws, cleaning rod, bands, bolt and all bolt parts, bolt stop, mag plate, follower, stock heel, rear and front sights, a late '44 BCD will only have its bolt and stock numbered.

Overall this is a pretty sexy example of the Semikriegsmodell, showing the late war, last ditch, Hail Mary methods of breakneck production in order to continue fighting an already lost war. The best part is it's 100% undicked and original, with an original L&F marked sling and sight hood to complete the outfit. The stamped/welded parts, the rough stock chatter, and semikriegs features comprise its late war charm & make it a definite & permanent keeper in the collection. Enjoy the rest of the pics.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:30:33 PM by Blicero »
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Semikriegs, full salute
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 08:12:21 PM »
 :o

Nice pics and rifle man...   Im on the laptop at home and forgot how nice it is we have the settings to display nice and LARGE.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:29:17 PM »
Excellent bcd in very nice condition  8)  drool2

I really appreciate the historical context on the production as well.  I guess stamped barrel bands had appeared much earlier but I haven't seen that many stamped magazine floorplates on K98k's. Is that considered a Kriegsmodell feature or merely a mid-war production feature?

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 10:45:07 PM »
Definitely not just a kriegs feature. A stamped anything can show up on any regular '44. BYF 4s come to mind as consistently having stamped guards and plates.

Production habits were quite eclectic at Gustloff in '44. Tons of variations. Rifles with machine gun barrels are known to exist on the BCD4. Any combination of phosphate vs. blued parts can appear. Milled parts, stamped parts, numbered parts, unnumbered parts can appear or disappear in no particular or linear fashion. Semikriegs guns pop up somewhere in the middle of things, I think in the f-block, and occur more consistently as the year wears on. They even made siderail snipers.

Here's a good contrast. My early '44 gg-block BCD4. http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=964.0 . Notice all of the changes between numbered/unnumbered and stamped/milled parts. Non Kriegs wood. Huge variances for one maker within a year's output. I didn't picture it too well on this semikriegs, but neither bands are numbered.

:o

Nice pics and rifle man...   Im on the laptop at home and forgot how nice it is we have the settings to display nice and LARGE.

That's why I can't surf gun sites or the broker regularly on the cell phone. Unfulfilling.
You need one of these, and you just got a raise. Let's go shopping.

"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon