Author Topic: Colt Woodsman  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Colt Woodsman
« on: September 20, 2017, 11:49:24 PM »
I found one recently to go along with my Colt Targetsman, and it has the original issue wood grips.. The Targetsman is one of my favorite small caliber pistols..  thumb1
In the world of semiauto rimfire pistols, this and the Reising .22 Semi-Auto Pistol are probably closely tied for being some of the earliest semiauto .22lr pistols.  Some look at the grip, and say, Oh, they just copied Ruger...or Browning... ::) but, the Colt pre dates the Ruger design or Buckmark, or even Ruger as a company it's self by about 35 years.
These were designed by John Browning, he sold the design to Colt in 1911, Colt engineers then modified it and fluffed the design to suit, they also credited Browning for the design. Production started in 1915, smack in the throws of WWI.... spanned 4 variants and 3 series with slight design changes till Colt quit making them in 1977. The 4 variants are the Woodsman, Huntsman, Targetsman and the Colt Challanger. There were also a few variants made for the USMC, USAF, and the Coast Guard, the USMC and USCG ones were reportedly scrapped and destroyed after they were replaced, and some rare examples can be found stamped "Property US Government". And what fun would it be if super secret spy stuff wasn't involved, it's reported quite a few Woodsman pistols were bought up by the OSS, forerunner of the CIA, for experiments with sound suppressors.....so they say.. :-X

The serial dates this Woodsman to 1931...

The two together... the Targetsman dates to '51

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Re: Colt Woodsman
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
Nice!   thumb1

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:35:56 AM »
nice twins, thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 03:29:41 PM »
Nice rampant colts and great write up!  thumb1  I needs it, I wants it...  drool2