Author Topic: Looking for a Rommy stock and bayonet for my 1958 mostly matching Romanian  (Read 21376 times)

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Would anyone have an extra stock and/or bayonet they would be willing to part with? Or maybe know a vendor that has some in stock to sell? Desperately need to get this gun back into it's native furniture. It was in plastic when I got it and shot like crap (flopping around). Cut down a Yugo stock (I know, I know, don't say it) and now it shoots better than I can see. Other than the furniture, the only item not numbers matching is the receiver top cover and it is stamped DE but different 4 ser. numbers.
Mr. Moderator if you feel this should be in the Market WTB section by all means please transfer it there or just say so and I'll pull it and reissue there.

Charlie

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Looking for a Rommy stock and bayonet for my 1958 mostly matching Romanian
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 05:40:32 PM »
Romanian Stocks

Grade 1, currently $51:
http://www.clearviewinvest.com/skswoodstockwithbladecutincludeshardware-2-1.aspx

Grade 2s look a bit rough, $34:
http://www.clearviewinvest.com/skswoodstockwithbladecutincludeshardware-2.aspx

Otherwise, patient searching on eBay or GunBroker

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 03:59:50 AM »
Dangit...disregard the PM about the Russian stocks...I totally forgot about these.
These area pretty darn good deal.
Romanian Stocks

Grade 1, currently $51:
http://www.clearviewinvest.com/skswoodstockwithbladecutincludeshardware-2-1.aspx

Grade 2s look a bit rough, $34:
http://www.clearviewinvest.com/skswoodstockwithbladecutincludeshardware-2.aspx

Otherwise, patient searching on eBay or GunBroker

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 02:46:25 AM »
Thanks Justin Hell, I sent them an email listing what I'm looking for and asked they inform me of what is available. Hope to hear from them soon.

Charlie

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 04:22:11 PM »
Update: Dave from Clearviewinvestments emailed back that they have a few stocks and based on his description they are likely Russians. None that he had were serialed with two alpha then numeric so not likely to be Romanian. But that's cool still way better than a crappy plastic sport stock that does not stabilize the action. Unfortunately he does not have any hand guards nor the wood for the gas tube. Dave doesn't have a bayonet either. He says it has been quite a while that he has even seen a blade bayonet. Once again a big THANK YOU to Justin Hell for the lead!! Stock is on the way.

Charlie

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »
Glad to help...so you got one from Dave?
If so, I hope his on hand supply is as nice as he had for the two I purchased from him. Getting matching stocks and handguards can really be frustrating...and so rarely do you get them together anymore.

I thought I had it made with a blank Chinese stock for an SKS I actually have the matching...new stock for, but it has some fugly stock repairs that just bother me....Got it, and it was all set until it came time to find a handguard that was in the same ballpark as the stock...I went through two that didn't match and ultimately ended on other guns...and then I got a super cool home brewed handguard without vents made by Loose Cannon...which I like better than the stock. It of course doesn't match any other stock I can find. Hopefully I don't have to hunt down a slab of Babinga and whittle my own.  I could refinish the stock and hope to find a stain to match to a wood that is naturally 'red'...but not that red.

Part of the fun in restoring I suppose.

What variety of plastic stock did it come in...just out of curiousity?

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 12:04:51 AM »
A piece of crap one! I can't find a name or any sort of ID anywhere on it. Black plastic, has a cheezy pistol grip and monte carlo cheek well on it with a recoil pad on the hind side. The action would waddle around in it, there was no place for the trigger housing tension spring. For take down you have to depress the trigger housing latch and pull up on the housing at the same time. Bring the rifle to shoulder and try to get a sight picture and the m/c cheek rest is banging against you cheek bone. A friking broom stick would be a better stock. I borrowed a Chinese short nut stock from a brother-in-law and the rifle will shoot approx. 2 inches consistently at 50 yards. At 100 yards I have a hard time getting a good sight picture. Feels like the action is still sitting a little low in the stock and has some movement. Not my stock so I can't do mods to tighten everything up. But it does tell me I need a Romanian or Russian stock and then I can tighten everything up and expect a real shooter. SO, now waiting breathlessly for the stock Dave is sending. I'll update the progress when it gets here.

Charlie 

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 02:49:15 AM »
Your aftermarket stock sounds like an ATI/Combat Exchange Monte Carlo stock...except for the lack of the spring...or even an access hole to transfer one from your previous stock.  That makes me wonder if it is a Butler Creek stock...

I had to use an ATI stock today on a project...and the damn thing fits like a glove...I hate it, but the stupid thing works. I have another that was purchased used out of a barrel using up trade credit at a shop, it is a Combat Exchange...the previous patent holders before ATI bought them out...they are a little shiny vs a matte finish on the ATI.  The CE one was mishandled during fitment by the previous owners...and does have a little back and forth slip on it...with a minimum of half a dozen SKSs attempted in it.

If it is a Butler Creek...I would be interested in it...despite being messed up (maybe).  I have an affection for aftermarket SKS stuff...and a Butler Creek stock isn't in the collection. Most of said collection does not get used...I dig the wood...but being from Montana I feel remiss in not having a Butler Creek stock...despite not digging the MC stock much. :) 

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
check out eBay, good luck.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 03:35:20 PM »
JH I went up to the "Tower of Dome" and closely looked over that plastic furniture again. I still don't see any logos, names, model numbers, etc. Don't know how I overlooked it but there is a hole for an action spring. It has an end cap on the hand neck that is held on by a screw but there is not a logo or crest on it. The recoil pad looks like it may be an aftermarket unit. It fits well but looks like an extra hole had to be made to line up the anchor screws. Here are a few pics, maybe you can tell the brand of the stock. If you are interested in this stock shout back and we'll see what we can arrange

Charlie

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 04:52:49 AM »
That kinda looks like a Combat Exchange a little more than an ATI but it is certainly one of either.  The one hanging on my wall right now irritates me...even more than the other one that doesn't even have an SKS living in it. It's a means to an end...I don't intend for it to end this way though. :)

I have a Scout Scopes mount on this gun, and a genuwhine Norinco long eye relief scope for it...which requires a shell deflector. The front sight was removed for a muzzle brake...I messed with this gun enough before knowing any better that it is the recipient of several bubba modifications. I would have put a Chinese five round mag into it, but this particular gun has a feature discovered right here on this forum....it is a /906\ which has a peculiar factory mag with a crease/dent on the underside known only to /906\ guns.  It is going to stay...I feel guilt....but I can at least leave it with that. It will have a temporary removal as it is going to be a test platform for the new polymer Marcus mag adapter prototypes. If it ever stops snowing enough for me to shoot again. They say we should get at least three feet before Sunday....I need a flamethrower.  Spring would be a nice substitute...

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 10:43:34 AM »
Got home yesterday (Friday) and there was the wood stock from Clearview. Overall what I would call very good shape. Dark color like most pics of Romanian and Russian stocks. Quick clean up with denat. alcohol and mineral spirits took off most of the grime and revealed the actual finish. Lacquering is thin in some spots but wood is in good shape. A few gouges but very acceptable, no carving anywhere. Four digit serial number laterally along left side above the sling swivel. I'll have to look at some of the pics of Russian and other SKS types to figure its nationality . No other marks or cartouches to aid in identifying it. Will post a few pics this evening. Would original Romanian stocks always have two alpha and four digit stamping? Kind of on the fence about stripping the finish completely and then refinish or just scuffing the lacquer and then apply fresh coat or two. Years ago I stripped and refinished a Yugo and it had beautiful two tone grain under all the cosmoline. Used true oil for the finish and  had a great honey color in the end. Kind of sorry I sold it later, but it had been bubbaed and didn't shoot well at all. I was upfront with the buyer about it being restored to original equipment and not shooting better than 4" groups but he fell in love with the finish and color and just had to have it.
JH it's too bad you already have plastics hanging around, if you would have been interested I would have made you one of those New Orleans kind of deals on this one. I still owe you on the lead to this wood stock.

Charlie

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 10:56:48 AM »
Sorry, in all my joy I forgot to thank P.32 and Echo also on their referral to Clearview. It would be terribly rude and un-Cajun like not to extend a "Thank You!" to you guys also. Now I just have to find some wood for the hand guard and a damn bayonet.

Charlie

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 10:59:06 AM »
Sounds like a Romanian stock to me.  thumb1

Post up some pics.... I dunno if I would do anything other then clean it.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
I'll have some pics coming tonight. Detail of the stock as well as the rifle action parts. Just mystified by the lack of alpha characters in the serial number and other markings. Either way it at least makes the Rommy look like what is should be.

Charlie

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 07:49:49 PM »
Refurb romy stocks often ditched the letter prefix. Not unusual in the least.  Wood type, hardware, and finish will determine what you've got to a pretty good degree.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 09:40:16 PM »
It most likely is a true Romanian stock, since you said you used denatured alcohol to clean it up. If it was a Russian stock with a shellac finish that would've have made it tacky or removed the shellac depending on the contact time and amount of ethanol applied. Since the Romanians used beech, you may see ray fleck (fish scaling) in certain areas.

Being basically at the far end of the purist spectrum, I'd leave the finish on the Romanian stock if it were mine. I confess I did refinish a Chinese SKS stock recently but my rationalizations were that: 1. it looked like driftwood that had been left on an untidy mechanics floor and 2. it was a Norinco/commercial SKS  :))

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 11:41:13 PM »
Hopefully my camera skills will give you guys a good look, here goes:

free picture hosting site

I'll get some clear pics of the metal and post soon. Only reason I'm thinking of refinishing is all the bare spots of wood that could be damaged by the humid and rainy weather down here. This will be a shooter not a closet queen.

Charlie

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 11:57:08 PM »
Looks like you got a nice Romanian stock  thumb1

Offline likemeasks

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 12:24:16 AM »
Now if I can find decent wood for the hand guard and a bayonet I'll pretty much have corrected the damage done by Bubba. With any luck I'll be able to post pics of the metal tomorrow night. With the two pieces above the only non-matching items will be the stock, bayonet and the receiver cover. Wish me luck.

Charlie