Author Topic: My (other?) Rifle: PTR 91, GI model  (Read 5046 times)

Offline rjinga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
My (other?) Rifle: PTR 91, GI model
« on: November 29, 2017, 08:39:19 PM »
This is from mid-August at the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park.

The rifle:

With an HK 1200 meter rear sight:

All of the shooting was done off of a table with a rest.

The ammunition:

Malaysian surplus

German surplus

Federal Premium Gold Medal Match and PPU Match

At 200 yds the X-Ring is 3”, the 10 Ring is 7”, the 9 Ring is 13”, and the 8 Ring is 19”.
1st with a score of 101.1 and two X-Rings was the Federal:

2nd with a score of 97.8 and one X-Ring was the German:

The Malaysian came in 3rd with a score of 96.8 and one X-Ring:

And, the PPU Match was last with score of 96.2:

The Ring diameters at 300 yds are the same as the diameters at 200 yds, with the 7 Ring being 25” and the 6 Ring is 31 “.
1st was the Federal again with a score of 93.5 and two X-Rings:

Close-up:

The Malaysian moved to 2nd with a score of 92.9 and one X-Ring:

The PPU was 3rd at 300 yds with a score of 91.5:

And, the German came in last with a score of 90.4:

Next was my very first time ever shooting at 600 yds.  At that distance the X-Ring is 6”, the 10 Ring is 12”, the 9 Ring is 18”, the 8 Ring is 24”, the 7 Ring is 36”, the 6 Ring is 48”, and the 5 Ring is 60".   

I shot two strings of 10 rounds of each brand of ammunition, starting with the Malaysian ammo.  It seemed to be shooting high, and ended up in 3rd place on the first string with a score of 72.7:

Next was the German surplus, and even though my first shot didn’t register on the target at all (it seemed to be shooting high also), the ammo still came in 2nd in the first string with a score of 78:

The PPU Match ammo was next and it came in 1st in the first string with a score of 86.6 with one X-Ring:

It didn’t seem to have the problem with bullet rise like the Malaysian and German ammunitions did.

I shot the Federal last in the first string at 600 yds and that’s where it ended up.  I only got eight of ten shots in the scoring area (apparently) for a score of 67.2:

I started with the Malaysian surplus again for the second string at 600 yds.  Once again I apparently had one round outside of the scoring area, so that dropped the ammunition to 4th with a score of 74.1:

Next was the German surplus and it registered its only 1st place of the day with a score of 83.4:

The PPU Match ammo was third in the rotation again, but dropped to 2nd place with a score of 79.4:

And the Federal Premium Gold Medal Match ammunition was a surprising 3rd place with a score of 79.3 and one X-Ring:

And, here are links to two different time shooting at a steel silhouette at 400 yds at my gun club:

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: My (other?) Rifle: PTR 91, GI model
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »
Thats what Cannon is talkin about!    Looks like a nice range and alot of fun!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:41:06 PM »
Good gravy, I wouldn't be able to make out the entire target, much less the bull @600.

Good shooting!  thumb1

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 01:06:41 AM »
Good shooting rjinga! That 600 yd. shooting was beyond my old eye's capability. Especially with iron sights. Your spotter could have walked you into the X with a little better direction. That 400 yd range is where the 7.62x51 shines, IMHO. Thanks for posting this! Enjoyed it! Nice range, too!

firstchoice

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 02:33:24 AM »
Nice shooting! Those PTR-91s keep enticing me.

FC was understating the case. Your spotter was confusing me with: "his left", "your right." "Miss" (when it's a hit), etc.  ??? :))

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 08:45:51 AM »
Nice shooting! Those PTR-91s keep enticing me.

FC was understating the case. Your spotter was confusing me with: "his left", "your right." "Miss" (when it's a hit), etc.  ??? :))

I was being "diplomatic".  :)  Wasn't sure if the spotter was a close relative or a close friend?  :)   I also wasn't sure if the spotter had ever "spotted" before, either.  umbrage1  ::)  Ehh, I don't want to sound too critical or mean here,...don't need, or want to. He was trying, and that's more than many folks will do. I just think you'd have been able to walk those rds. in much better with the proper dope from your spotter. But heck, I haven't been to the range in a crazy long time, so, more power to the both of you!  Make some more of those vids using the PTR-91 and your Type 56! I like the split screen shot with the shooter and target in same time action, seeing the hits. Interesting!

Again, heck of a nice range too! The one and only public range around here is unattended, has 25yd. Pistol, (2 lanes), 50yd. Pistol, Rifle, (2 lanes), and the 100yd. Rifle, (2 lanes). All with ambidextrous concrete benches and paper targets supplied free of charge. So your range is a show piece compared to anything around here!

One of the reasons that I went with the PTR-91 receiver for my Cetme kit build was the ability to use the HK-style rear sights. Either the standard G-3 rear sight or the 1200 M sight like you're using. Cetme's rear sight is very basic and I wanted something better for iron sights.

Do you have the clamping HK-made or HK-style scope mount for your PTR-91? The original HK mount is well worth it, albeit pricey. Returns to zero and you can mount pretty much any good scope that you want to mount. I used a Leatherwood Counter-Sniper scope w/rangefinder, level, etc.  I would, however, get and utilize the brass deflector that HK makes for the G-3/HK-91/PTR-91 style rifles. Installs easily and stays installed. It drops the brass much closer, doesn't smack your optics, and refrains from reshaping your brass with the large dent that it has a habit of making along the side of the case. The resulting fluting marks are just there, can't be helped with the G-3 or Cetme barrels. I've got sacks of once fired brass with the fluting marks. Never tried to reload them. Not sure how much difference that would make or effect it would have, if any? Everyone says they can be reloaded, just haven't tried.

Thanks again for posting the PTR-91 thread! Post up a few more close-up pics, when you get the chance. They made nice, reliable rifles from all accounts I've heard on them. Now, the Century made guns were somewhat of a crapshoot, IIRC? (their Cetme's and whatever they designated their HK-91-style kits w/receiver-built rifles?). I heard they had some issues with feeding, chambering, a bit of everything could go wrong.   nea1 

firstchoice

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 09:20:07 AM »
 :o there was a target out there? nice going and cool range.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Luke2236

• Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 11:18:02 AM »
That's some impressive shooting! ...and yes I'm another member of the club whose old(er) eyes can't see that far  :o
Canadian...eh!

Offline rjinga

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
I do believe in, and practice, the maxim of “aim small, miss small.”  Nevertheless, I also realize that I’m shooting (mostly) surplus/budget ammunition out of a battle rifle clone (PTR 91, GI model).  Therefore, at the end of the day, if my groups are tighter than they were the last time, and more of my shots are sub MOM (minute of man), I’m a happy camper.

So, with all of that in mind, I took the NRA targets and overlaid a silhouette on them.  The body is 18” x 18” and the head is 6” x 6”.

Malaysian and German surplus ammo at 200 yds:

PPU Match and Federal Gold Medal Match ammo at 200 yds:

Malaysian and German surplus ammo at 300 yds:

PPU Match and Federal Gold Medal Match ammo at 300 yds:

Malaysian surplus ammo at 600 yds:

German surplus ammo at 600 yds:

PPU Match ammo at 600 yds:

Federal Gold Medal Match ammo at 600 yds:

Offline rjinga

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 06:32:25 PM »
I was being "diplomatic".  :)  Wasn't sure if the spotter was a close relative or a close friend?  :)   I also wasn't sure if the spotter had ever "spotted" before, either.  umbrage1  ::)

He was neither (close relative/friend), and I don't think he'd spotted a lot before.  Just a friendly fellow member willing to (try and) help me out.  I learned from that experience that I can't assume a common shooting vocabulary.  Since then I've been polite, but very exact, about how to call the shots.     

Make some more of those vids using the PTR-91 and your Type 56! I like the split screen shot with the shooter and target in same time action, seeing the hits. Interesting!

Thanks.  Here's my only SKS video (so far).  I only had my cellphone that day, so it isn't a split screen video.  Candidly, I wanted an idea of how wide the rifle and the ammo would shoot before I put my camera downrange. 

One of the reasons that I went with the PTR-91 receiver for my Cetme kit build was the ability to use the HK-style rear sights. Either the standard G-3 rear sight or the 1200 M sight like you're using. Cetme's rear sight is very basic and I wanted something better for iron sights.

I had a Century Arms C308 before I bought my PTR; I like the PTR/HK sights a lot more.

Do you have the clamping HK-made or HK-style scope mount for your PTR-91? The original HK mount is well worth it, albeit pricey.

No I don't.  I tried a budget rail and scope; didn't work at all.  After that I decided to get the 1200 meter rear sight and keep shooting irons as long as my eyes will allow.

Thanks again for posting the PTR-91 thread! Post up a few more close-up pics, when you get the chance. They made nice, reliable rifles from all accounts I've heard on them. Now, the Century made guns were somewhat of a crapshoot, IIRC? (their Cetme's and whatever they designated their HK-91-style kits w/receiver-built rifles?). I heard they had some issues with feeding, chambering, a bit of everything could go wrong.   nea1 

firstchoice

At the time I bought the C308, I really wanted a PTR, but I couldn't justify the cost.  If it's appropriate, here's the link to the thread on another forum where the guy who bought it from me finds, explains, and fixes all of the issues it had:  http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/showthread.php?34030-Century-C308-The-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly&highlight=C308