Author Topic: Free Red Bird Handguard that does not fit any of my three SKSs  (Read 12919 times)

~T

• Trade Count: (0)
So I bought the Red Bird cause it was different.  Web site says fits Chinese and Yugos and easy to install.  Well I ended up breaking my ferrule and scratching my new stock.  I contacted Red Bird and told the guy that I tried all day to get it to fit and then had to take it to my gunsmith.  He replied to me, and I quote: "I say your just a liar or your all mixed up between truth and its reality and your make believe fantasia of lets change the story around to fit my lies." All I was trying to do was return it????

Anyway, if anyone wants it, let me know. Just put $3 in an envelope for shipping.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Free Red Bird Handguard that does not fit any of my three SKSs
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 11:02:42 AM »
Hi ~T, welcome to the files....

Sucks to hear about your ferrule...those are seriously high dollar items considering all they are.  I am assuming you are talking about the ventilated steel handguards.  Those can fit downright terribly if you just install them as manufactured.  What I learned is that if you carefully flare out the bottom corners, they can be made to fit pretty snugly.  They at least come with two springs now....when I got mine, they only came with one....and only your guess as to where to locate the spring.  With those tucked as far to either end as can be and out of view, that helps a lot.

Unless you are having problems with it being too long to fit....I haven't had to file one down before, but that might work too.

What issue are you having with it?  I am happy to help, but you might find a taker....I would be, but I have so many I was considering lashing two together and making a barrel shroud of sorts for my Crosman Pumpmaster 760, to make it the toughest looking BB gun that you will ever get shot in your own yard using. :)

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 02:57:06 PM »
hi T and welcome. good to have you here.  thumb1 .....  >:(n  to bad about their CS and the product.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

~T

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 03:30:45 PM »
Wow... thanks for getting back to me.  The part is too long and the ferrule pops out if I do not hold it with all three hands at once.  Luckily, I have a couple nice hand guards from some of my husband's other projects.  I bought some ferrules from Sherluk Defense (www.sherluk.com).  $8.  This was supposed to be my do it myself project, but... my husband is now handling it. Sometimes a girl just has to know which battles are worth it.  So if you know anyone who wants the Red Bird... let me know.  My husband will not even let me put it in the SKS spare parts box. He said it is not worthy. :(  Justin, thanks for trying to help, but Tapco wins this one.  Carl, what does CS mean?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 03:46:18 PM »
CS = customer service or ACS = Abysmal Customer Service in this case   :))

Welcome to The Files!  :)

~T

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 04:30:35 PM »
 :) You guys are all so nice.  Thanks.  I got my first SKS in 2004 after I burned out my first mini 30 with that rubbery coated ammo.  Ammo was $79 per thousand then and I had used my Christmas club $ to buy four cases.  I HAD to have a 7.62x39 rifle. My husband has a CZ bolt action in 7.62x39 but that ammo would last A LONG time shooting 200 rounds a week in a bolt action. So along came my first Yugo at $79 as well. First thing I did... added the 30 round detachable. After that, it was SKS love.  Here is a photo of how I like my guns according to my husband.  I do not like ARs, but the idea is clear.  https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cd/8f/62/cd8f620585d7e49b435fdca9f3513ddf.jpg
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:35:07 PM by ~T »

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 08:12:47 PM »
I used to get a little carried away with the accessories.  I had one of the Tapco guards, couldn't get used to trying to like it, and noticed it was nearly the same size as the cocking forearm on my BB gun.... lo and behold it snapped right on the barrel above it.  A little spray paint and four screws later...and I have a scout mounted 3/9 LER scoped $20 BB gun.  rofl

Thanks for the tip on the ferrules....I just ordered a dozen.  I want to cripple an eBayer who guts SKSs for a living...ferrules are his bread and butter. :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 11:14:18 PM »
Welcome T...   I dont see the ferrules on that site.   :-\

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

~T

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 06:59:23 AM »
It is the 14th item down on this page:  http://www.sherluk.com/miscgunparts.php  part number skshgrdfrl .  Has a Y for still in stock.

~T

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 09:52:45 AM »
I do not know how to use bubba as a verb, but Justin, you bubba-ed (or perhaps it is  bubbafied your BB gun? That is so cool. You probably will not get too much communication from Sherluk. It is a few guys in a shop. USPS shipping so it is slow. I called before I ordered because I wanted to be sure the ferrules were in stock. They were, I ordered two. The guy there was really nice. I cannot believe that @$$ hat on eBay charges $40.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:16:29 AM by ~T »

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 10:52:31 AM »
I do not know how to use bubba as an adjective, but Justin, you bubba-ed (or perhaps it is  bubbafied your BB gun? That is so cool. You probably will not get too much communication from Sherluk. It is a few guys in a shop. USPS shipping so it is slow. I called before I ordered because I wanted to be sure the ferrules were in stock. They were, I ordered two. The guy there was really nice. I cannot believe that @$$ hat on eBay charges $40.

Yeah, I was a little surprised when I awoke this morning and there hadn't been a confirmation email.  Maybe I will call them today and chat with them to ensure there were that many in stock....after I ordered what seemed to be all they had left, their page broke for a minute...I thought it was perhaps updating stock levels....but it reverted back and showed a dozen available again...perhaps they limit the possible amount orderable?  I am a little worried to see if I am going to get dinged a flat shipping charge for each...since the final step said that it would be added.  Which I find a little scary.  I am not worried about slow shipping...of my 11 SKSs, only one could use a cosmetic upgraded ferrule...the first one I messed with before there was an internet to show me what not to do.  These will mostly soothe the savage wife and whittle down the credit card back to zero I hope.   It blows me away what folks will pay for them....the guy on eBay does quite well.  I don't think he has ever had to relist one that didn't sell.

I will do a photo spread eventually for the BB gun, I just have to finish a couple of things up and function test it.   It also has a Krink muzzle brake.  rofl2

~T

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 11:22:00 AM »
They do combined shipping. So that one guy throws them all in bubble envelope and puts them in the mail. My shippering for two was a $2.50.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 11:26:12 AM »
By the way...it might be a good thing that you ordered two.  Recently, for the first time I actually replaced one with a BIN cheap ferrule on eBay, as I had just received a tube without one in a parts lot.  The pin hole placement is kind of crucial, if they aren't in the exact spot, you will have either a little too much or too little gas tube to fit nicely....and handguard length comes into play again.

It sounds like your gas tube might be a little shorter than the norm, which one of mine is like that...and fortunately with my mismatched ferrules, I was able to swap parts out between two tubes and get a favorable result.  Your new ferrule also might allow for the ventilated guard to work.  You may want to hang on to that until it arrives...rather than take a loss on it.

just saw your post about the shipping, whew...that is a relief!

~T

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 12:36:56 PM »
I do like my SKSs to be unique. I do not want any to look like mine. My husband is a vz58 guy. And a Mauser guy. And a CZ guy and a... ooooohhhh, it appears he is a gun guy. I like my CZs, H&Ks, FNs and of course my SKSs. Vladimir at work taught me how to say samozaryadnyi. I am getting pretty good at it.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 02:24:45 PM »
You would probably like my collection...most of them have alter bubba ego 'little black dress' setups for them as well as being as close to restored as I can get them.  Two guns in one, depending on my mood or who is in office at the time.

If your new ferrule allows for room, you might try for a unique look, stripping that cheese grater handguard (common term for your Red Bird) into the white....depending on your usual humidity it looks pretty cool and unusual without rust worries.  I suppose it depends on what the rest of the gun looks like though...which, is kind of a hint at posting some pics. :)

Here is what I am talking about....

~T

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »
Oh goodness. I think I need a cold shower.  :-*. What is in front of the halo sight on the Monte Carlo stock in photo #4?  I REALLY like the hand guard in #14. I do not think I want it in the white. I have good stories of rusting guns and parts. We backbacked through New England last autumn. 49 days of living in a tent. My cheap Savage Stevens shotgun is now burnt orange. Even though it was brand new for the trip.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 06:17:06 PM »
Oh goodness. I think I need a cold shower.  :-*. What is in front of the halo sight on the Monte Carlo stock in photo #4?  I REALLY like the hand guard in #14. I do not think I want it in the white. I have good stories of rusting guns and parts. We backbacked through New England last autumn. 49 days of living in a tent. My cheap Savage Stevens shotgun is now burnt orange. Even though it was brand new for the trip.

Are you talking about this one? 

That was a mockup I did to entertain a dearly departed member here one day with solutions to a problem with a missing screw for the mount, and to use up a bunch of bubba stuff at the same time...that is a cheapo laser that fit below it without obstruction.  The bayonet on the Ram Line stock which is not inletted for was also the subject. I never fired the gun like that....I actually shunned even using those parts in jest on my M-4 BB gun...it is kind of lovely the first time you hear your child use the word overkill. :)

And if this is the one you were talking about, that is a Ram-Line handguard....they are pretty sexy for plastic. But if you notice the flaccid ferrule behind it, it is cut a little short for most uses. I have a DB SKS that it works OK on...which is the gun in the first photo too.

I don't know how the numbers you are stating pull up when clicking on the pics...I actually forgot that I never locked them from scrolling through the photobucket folder they live in.  Since I am logged into my account there it lets me go all over the place.  Lord knows what you have seen.  :o

~T

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 08:57:58 PM »
Your replies are EXACTLY what I was talking about.  I am going to have to inlet my stock too, because without a bayonet, its just not right. I must say, you do put together some FINE looking pieces. You are an artist.  I am impressed.

My Murray firing pin came in the mail today. My piston yesterday and my...   Can't remember what's it's called. It goes in the place where you open and close the gas tube for the launcher, also came yesterday. After the ferrule disaster, I am not allowed in the workshop by myself so I will wait until all parts arrive and hope for reinstatement to the workbench. The ferrule disaster was more of a me trying to make a homemade pin issue.  Either way, there were broken parts and blood (mine) and the dog still has cosmoline in his fur. The tripped circuit breaker and the over heated Dremel were not really my fault. Therefore; the workshop ban is only partially justified.

Offline R1D2

• Toro
  • Newber
  • Stand your ground, if they mean war let it begin
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »
You sell it off yet?
So I bought the Red Bird cause it was different.  Web site says fits Chinese and Yugos and easy to install.  Well I ended up breaking my ferrule and scratching my new stock.  I contacted Red Bird and told the guy that I tried all day to get it to fit and then had to take it to my gunsmith.  He replied to me, and I quote: "I say your just a liar or your all mixed up between truth and its reality and your make believe fantasia of lets change the story around to fit my lies." All I was trying to do was return it????

Anyway, if anyone wants it, let me know. Just put $3 in an envelope for shipping.
you still here? I got 3 dollars. . .
Certo!!
Destroy the Zombies! See them driven before you!

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 09:59:03 PM »
This thread made me so much money I ought to just send you one for free.
Finding a source for eight dollar handguard ferrules kept the rest of my SKS habit funded for the better part of last year. Unfortunately...after about seventy of them...I dried up the source. :(