Author Topic: Prvi Partisan fmj  (Read 10717 times)

Offline Dirtydawg81

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Prvi Partisan fmj
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »
Just wondering  if anyone has used this ammo?  I was thinking about ordering some of it to try out.  7.62×39 PPU 123g FMJ. Any thoughts?

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
Re: Prvi Partisan fmj
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:13:12 AM »
Its been awhile but Ive shot a box of it out of the 10 I bought. I have 9 left because its special  :) Really good ammo and very clean. Brass Case is always a good thing.   thumb1

Offline Dirtydawg81

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 09:25:05 AM »
The brass case is the reason I was looking into it. Gotta use brass at the ranges out here in Ca. 

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 02:08:18 PM »
Gotta use brass at the ranges out here in Ca.
Why is that?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 03:02:37 PM »
California ranges often require bullets to pass the 'magnet test'.  This is done in the interest of not tearing up steel backstops in interior ranges with steel cored ammo. 

That means that when a RO tests your ammo, it can't stick to a magnet.  Of course, the RO is typically not educated in the finer nuances of steel jacketed vs. steel core ammo and they are often lazy when checking too.  If the magnet sticks, it can't be used, end of story.  It doesn't matter if the magnet sticks to a steel case that is ejected out the side of the weapon and never goes anywhere near the backstop, the magnet stuck, end of story.  Even when the RO is smart/thorough enough not to try and stick the magnet to the case and only to the bullet itself, most of the Brown Bears, Wolf, Golden Tiger utilize steel jacketed lead core bullets, which the magnet will of course stick to, end of story.  It doesn't matter that 95% of the bullet weight is in the lead core and the jacket is typical stripped off when impacting anything substantial, the magnet stuck, end of story. 

Yugo M67 is actually highly sought after because it satisfies the CA magnet test in all aspects, yet is still Berdan primed surplus ammo at an attractive price.   thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 03:17:54 PM »
Steel jacketed/steel cored bullets can and do spark at outside ranges. They are legal here, but in times of drought or real dry conditions, that little spark can cause problems. I'm sure a Cali resident can tell you of several fires due to a spark from a bullet given how dry they have been the past few years.

Guess that no rain problem pretty much close to fixed now, at least for a while.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 05:13:18 PM »
The steel core thing is understandable, but being too dumb to tell the case from the bullet when applying a magnet is just....well, so Californian.
What next?  A warning that coffee is hot? rofl2

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
Steel jacketed/steel cored bullets can and do spark at outside ranges. They are legal here, but in times of drought or real dry conditions, that little spark can cause problems. I'm sure a Cali resident can tell you of several fires due to a spark from a bullet given how dry they have been the past few years.

Guess that no rain problem pretty much close to fixed now, at least for a while.

Outdoor ranges definitely have restrictions like this.  No tracers are ever allowed at any NM range I've ever been to.  No NM range I've ever been to has ever restricted use of steel core/jacketed bullets for fire reasons though, and I'd put our rainfall totals up against most places in Cali except death valley and the Needles area.  The big gun club in Abq. (Zia Gun Club) doesn't allow steel core on their gong because it tears them up.  Same for the little gun club I used to frequent in Los Lunas, though they might have eased that one after they realized a 7.62x54R round is going to tear up their gongs regardless of whether it's steel cored or not. 

Having said that, I'd always assumed the whole Cali steel deal was mostly an indoor range thing where there's no room for large dirt berm backstops.  Indoor ranges I've been to typically have some energy absorbing material and a plate of AR500 between the back wall of the range and the adult video store across the street.  I see that some of the fancier indoor designs now use centrifugal (snail shell) or funnel shaped traps to recover bullets. 

Pax or D.C., what are the restrictions at the ranges you frequent meant to accomplish?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
The steel core thing is understandable, but being too dumb to tell the case from the bullet when applying a magnet is just....well, so Californian.
What next?  A warning that coffee is hot? rofl2

Already have that warning on coffee cups...along with "Shut the engine off before replacing the belt" and "Dont use a snow blower on a roof". rofl2

The steel jacket ammo is not illegal here like I said, but Game Wardons here kind of snear at steel jacketed ammo for another reason. Along with sparking, it doesnt expand quite like purpose built true hunting ammo. A Game Wardon here who patrols the National Forest I live in has found deer and bear shot with inexpensive cheap "steel jacketed hunting ammo", and having to finish the animal.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 09:10:43 PM »
  Same for the little gun club I used to frequent in Los Lunas, though they might have eased that one after they realized a 7.62x54R round is going to tear up their gongs regardless of whether it's steel cored or not. 

See RM....Yet another reason to get yourself a Mosin.  :))  Bad-azz all day  thumb1
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 11:12:09 PM »
I shoot FMJ steel case out here in Ca, all the time. Outside ranges. Ive never shot at an inside range . We have other members from Ca, on these boards now ? Finally ,, Now you can take some of the heat from that member Oil Gorilla guy or what ever his name is  chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 11:50:29 PM »
I shoot FMJ steel case out here in Ca, all the time. Outside ranges. Ive never shot at an inside range . We have other members from Ca, on these boards now ? Finally ,, Now you can take some of the heat from that member Oil Gorilla guy or what ever his name is  chuckles1

That hurts Correct Direction....I got a feeling to you know. Besides.. I like to ruffle your feathers.. rofl2

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 05:07:27 PM »
"Dont use a snow blower on a roof".

I would really like to think you made that one up.
...but i cant be sure.  :-\  Somebody, somewhere..

Offline Dirtydawg81

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 01:42:01 AM »
Running Man and greasemonkey  hit the nail on the head. Just some extra hoops us Cali residents have to jump through. 

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 10:43:08 AM »
"Dont use a snow blower on a roof".

I would really like to think you made that one up.
...but i cant be sure.  :-\  Somebody, somewhere..

Sadly, no GM knows what he speaks of. These guys nearly take several tumbles off.

See RM....Yet another reason to get yourself a Mosin.  :))  Bad-azz all day  thumb1

You know, that's not a half bad ide....hey wait a minute!  Not going to fool me that easily!  thumb1

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 11:06:20 AM »
Those silly rednecks ! They need one of these.

Offline wvsks

• Cadet
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 04:45:03 PM »
A little late to the party here, PPU is my favorite brand of ammo. I've shot well over a thousand rounds of it through my SKS, multiple 9mms, 6.5 Carcano, Tokarev 7.62, and Mosin. Never had a single issue with it and it's generally not all that dirty.

Offline Dirtydawg81

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 02:32:48 PM »
Thanks guys, I 've been building my pile slowly but it's growing.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 06:47:30 PM »
Thanks guys, I 've been building my pile slowly but it's growing.
Now that you've had some time under your belt, what do you think of this ammo? 

Looks like SGAmmo says they just received in the last of the M67 they think they will be getting from this supplier, so that avenue for non steel jacketed / non steel core ammo may go bye-bye soon.

Offline Dirtydawg81

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Newber
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 12:16:21 AM »
 I like it.  Shot sixty rounds of it earlier this month. No problems with it and it fed like butter, would have done more , but i had some other toys with me too.
Ordered  five hundred more last night from SG. Is the M67 the Yugo ammo or is it all considered M67?  Sorry just  a newbie.