Author Topic: Glenfield 30A .30 WCF  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Glenfield 30A .30 WCF
« on: April 17, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »
Well, I found another lever action, my very first .30-30, and another caliber, all though, 7.62x51r sounds better chuckles1. I found this one in a mass of used hunting rifles, set up rather nicely I might add, in a local shop. It's a store branded rifle made by Marlin, the only real differences are the hard wood stock and some slight finishing differences between a Glenfield and a Marlin. Glenfield rifles usually command a lower price than an equal Marlin, while the quality remains pretty much the same. This one for example was 345otd, while an equal Marlin .30-30 next to it was 450.

The quality and overall action is identical to the Marlin, and even the barrel has micro-groove rifling and the (JM) stamp, the John Marlin proof mark. The only real difference in parts, is the fore stock, they are not interchangeable, everything else, the important stuff, is. According to the serial, it was made in 1976, well before Remington got a hold of them. And the action, while not Henry smoothness, it's dang close. The scope is an older Charles Daily 4x32 and is crystal clear.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Glenfield 30A .30 WCF
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 05:37:18 PM »
Why does this thing have a hammer?   Don't think my real Marlin has a hammer.    :-\

Or is that some kinda screwball safety?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:02:18 PM »
Why does a 1911 have a hammer? :))  If on half cock, technically it is the safety.

Uh, yea, I'm pretty sure your "real" Marlin has a fricken hammer. Only true hammerless levers I've seen is a Savage Model 99 and a Winchester 88, I'm sure there is a few others.

A hammerless lever rifle is....................just so wrong.  :) Like taking the hammer off of a 1911...

Hammer time.......

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:18:13 PM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 07:01:07 PM »
 rofl

Should I drum up a messin with Sasquatch video?

I like it.   thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 09:06:24 PM »
If on half cock, technically it is the safety.

This +100!

I had a 336C in .30-30 that was manufactured before the cross bolt safety became mandatory.  Half cock was awesome, especially when you had it in a saddle scabbard.  Sweet shooter, I really regret letting go of that one, but it went to a good friend in exchange for a whole bunch of backhoe work.  cry1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 01:27:39 AM »
Now that's a classy looking carbine Greasemonkey, I'm envious!  thumb1