Author Topic: 2nd range trip  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Blackbird92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
2nd range trip
« on: November 27, 2016, 09:02:48 AM »
took my sks to the range yesterday. put 40 rounds thru it.  stock box mag, stripper clips , gun all worked perfectly.  Now the main issue.  As with all my other rifles, I can't see the targets well enough to keep groups. Sort of point, aim, and pray.  Thinking of a short tactical style scope. maybe 4x magnification. Have seen a ton of different mounts. Any opinions are welcome if you have experience with the peice you want to discuss.  Hear say and rumors don't help much.  Thanks

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: 2nd range trip
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 10:36:03 AM »
The SKS and scopes don't often marry well.  You're limited on what's available as well as how much you want to (irreversibly) modify the gun.  The most stable will be a drill and tap setup mounted to the side of the receiver.  The easiest and most readily removable would be a receiver cover replacement with a rail.  There are tricks to keeping the receiver cover styles stable, but some of those involve permanently altering the gun as well.  Some mounts make it a PITA to break the gun down for cleaning.  Others can set the scope such that it blocks the path of the brass as it ejects, requiring the use of a brass deflector. 

Maybe start with:
1) Do you want to permanently modify the gun?
2) If no to #1, can you live with a scope that has to be rezeroed each time you take the receiver cover off for cleaning?
3) If no to #2, are you sure you don't want to permanently modify the gun?

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 11:28:16 AM »
Blackbird92

I have 1 bubba that I put a scope on.  It has worked very well for me.  All you need is an after market receiver cover and a low profile rail to mount on that after market rail.  Check out my post here:[url]http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2333.msg26882#msg26882/url]
http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2343.msg26934#msg26934
I have put almost 1000 rds down range, even took the scope/cover off and put it back on again at the range a bunch of times with no bad effects. 

Member Marcus also has a variation of this that requires removing the takedown lever/pin and replacing with a bolt.  It is a nice, clean mod.

Good luck!
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Blackbird92

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 02:15:30 PM »
I looked at the Brass Stacker mount. goes on the recoil stud and rear sight mount. no permanent alterations. 6 solid mounting points. but it is $95. also saw a long rail that goes from receiver cover to rear sight. also very solid no permanent changes. have not been able to find one for sale. thanks for the info so far

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 06:42:35 PM »
I hear the 1/4" bolt replacing the takedown lever and a tight fitment up front on a cover mount works well. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline reloader762

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 05:59:20 AM »
Years ago when my eyesight started going south I had a old gunsmith/stockmaker put a Choate  drill an tap mount on my 1970 Yugo an did a great job releaving the wood and making it look professional while only charging me $20.  The mount is still being sold I think for around $30.  It sets high enough to easily remove the dust cover for cleaning an use the iron sight as well. 

I had an old circle dot scope on it for awhile but just recently replaced it with a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot sight that will do all I need.